Maryville Enterprise, (Blount Co. TN) Friday, August 11, 1911, Page 1:
“Logan’s Chapel---A Sketch. A Historical Article Dealing With The Older Families Who Lived About This Old Chapel.
Paper Prepared and Read by James McCamy at the Decoration, May 20, 1911.
Logan’s Chapel is situated in Blount County, Tennessee, six miles northeast of Maryville and twelve miles southeast of Knoxville. We do not know the date of its organization, but it must have been between 1800 and 1810. We do not know its first pastor’s name, but we think we know some of its charter members.
It is not the object of this little article to eulogize the dead. We could not change their destiny if we could. But we think it right and proper that we keep alive the names of our forefathers, and mothers, who lived and served their generation around this hallowed spot where we are now gathered. We are here to strew flowers on their graves and to show our gratitude to them and to Him who permitted them first and us later to live in this beautiful and Gospel enlightened land where we have so many glorious privileges.
Today we want to turn the pages of time back one-hundred years and see who lived in and went to make up this neighborhood. One-hundred years ago farms were larger and houses further apart, so the neighborhood so called covered more ground than the neighborhoods of today. Our parents and grandparents went for miles to visit their sick neighbors. Families have grown up and divided and subdivided the old farms until now one original farm makes many; for instance, the old Martin farm contained 1,410 acres. Now it makes 10 homes. The woodman’s axe too, has played a prominent part in the development of the community. This country once had fine timber. The Martin and the Kennedy saw mills used to boat fine lumber down Little River during a tide to the Tennessee River, thence south to different markets. That is where the old boat-yard at Kennedy’s upper ford got its name. They would build on that sand bar large lumber boats 60 to 80 feet long; launch them in that deep eddy, load them and wait for a tide to take them out. They also took bacon and other farm products. They had no railroads here 100 years ago.
But who were they? Who lived here? That is our mission today. Well, there were the Logans, the Kennedys, the Stones, the Kinnamons, the Duncans, the McCamys, the Cavins, the Greens, the Hafleys, the Shavers, the Davis,’ the Kidds, the Newmans, the Julians, the Brakebills, the Dupes, the Mayes,’ the Martins, the Adneys, the Reeders, the Plumlees, the Porters, the Wolfs, the Wheelers, the Vineyards, the Covingtons, at Haggard place. These 26 families covered an area of several miles.
David Logan gave the ground for the church and graveyard, an hence the name Logan’s Chapel. The first church was built of hewn logs and stood almost in this site of the present structure. Camps stood almost all around the church which were occupied by their builders for two or three weeks every fall when they met in camp meetings. This was the one great occasion of the entire country around about. People would come for miles to attend camp meetings, and the local citizens who had the camps or lived near would feed and lodge them, while they’d send their horses home to the pasture. So popular were these camp meetings that about the year 1845, a large shed was erected. It was about 50 X 80 feet in size, with a dirt floor which was always covered with fresh straw for each annual gathering; and had board benches with backs and some without backs. This shed stood until only about 15 years ago when it became dangerous from decay and was torn down. Uncle Tom Martin, one of the best old Negroes who ever lived, is living today near Chandler in this county, helped to haul the lumber to build that shed. He was then a young man; he is now 85 years old and the only survivor of the old Martin family, black or white. The framing of this great shed was great hewn beams, but the lathing and weather-boarding at the gables were sawed, while the shingles were shaven. We take time to describe the shed because it was the center of attractions. Without it, the great crowds could not have been accommodated to shelter. I suspect few young people around here today realize what a place this has been to so many thousands of people. At this place and at some particular meeting, thousands have dated their spiritual birth; and when we all meet in that glorious beyond, I imagine they will tell us all about what a glorious place this was to them. Then the social feature was here too.Many a matrimonial match has been made on the road from here to the Sulpher Spring.
What became of these old pioneers, and who succeeded them? David Logan’s daughter, just blooming into womanhood, dies and was the first person buried there.
The Kennedys are probably the most interesting family of all. They lived at the old Kennedy Mill place. Uncle Alex’s father, Andrew Kennedy, built the house that was only torn down a few years ago to give place to a more modern home by Mr. Jack Rorex. Uncle Alex used to say his father got the stone in North Carolina that made the wall or foundation, when it was built almost on a bluff of rocks. His joke was that this was all North Carolina when the house was built. Uncle Alex was born in that house. He died in the same room in which he was born, having lived in the house 93 years, longer than any other man ever lived in this neighborhood that we know of. He was twice married and was the father of 26 children. His first wife was Hetty Henry, who reared to be grown: Arthur, James, Alex Jr., Andrew, William Gustavus, and Mrs. Jane Sanford. The others dying early in life. These all are now dead but James, Gus and Jane. James is 78 years old. The second wife was Mary Ann Thomas, who was the mother of Houston, Rufus S., John W., Edwin W., Walter B., Charles M., Richard, Triphenia, Lillie and Cora. Andrew Kennedy, father of Uncle Alex, was born in Pennsylvania, August 12, 1752. He was but a child when his parents, John and Betsy Kennedy, moved to South Carolina where John was killed in an Indian massacre. His widow and her son then removed to Roane County, North Carolina, where they lived until the Revolutionary War broke out, when Andrew joined Capt. Dickens Company but finally became Captain himself. He was wounded seven times in the battle of Camden, South Carolina, August 16, 1780. He came to this country and to the old Kennedy homestead in 1792. This was then known as the Territory South of the Ohio River. He entered the old home place, the Adney place and the farm where John Trundle now lives. He reared a family. The old records show his name as being one of the first Trustees of Porter Academy, being appointed in 1806. Andrew died May 5, 1834, being 83 years. His son, Alex, came into possession of the old home. The Adney place was sold to Bija Conger and by him to Benjamin Duncan for 1,500 axes and mattocks in 1820. Mr. Duncan was a fine blacksmith and made these articles. He, with his wife and son, Frank, were buried here.
The Trundle place was sold to Nicholas Vineyard, who reared a family there, but no trace of them can be found. Will Kennedy lived there after the war. Prof. Robert Porter, one of the best men this or any other neighborhood ever had, came into possession of the Vineyard farm and reared a family there; but later sold to Prof. W.M. Rogers, then principal of Porter Academy, and cast his lot in Knoxville where he died some ten years ago. Prof. Porter and Rogers were both prominent in school work and have served Porter Academy long and well.
Mr. Logan, from the best we can learn, lived in a small, log house almost in front of the present church just above Mr. Walker’s last shop. He gave the ground on which the church stands and where the old part of the graveyard is; but later it was necessary to add more ground for hitching and burying. So according to the records at Maryville on August 7, 1854, Jefferson Stone deeded a certain tract or parcel of land to the Trustees of Logan’s Chapel M.E. Church South for the consideration of $140.00 The Trustees named are Wesley Huffaker, Alex Kennedy, William Goddard, Jacob French and Vance Walker. There are two stories as to the final end of David Logan; one is that he moved from here to Illinois with his family in a wagon; and another is that he died and is buried here and that his widow married another man and went to Illinois.
Dr. Stone owned and lived at what is now Wildwood Springs. We do not know what became of Dr. Stone but the next we know of the place it was the property of David Hodgsden, who died and left the place to his wife, Martha. She sold it to its present owners, the Rev. C.B. Lord in 1870. Rev. Lord’s wife died in 1882. Mr. Lord himself lived until 1906, when he died at the advanced age of 90 years. The only survivors of his family are Claudius, Miss Nellie and Mrs. Follette.
John Kinnamon married the sister of Uncle Alex Kennedy. Mr. Kinnamon was born in 1811, just 100 years ago. He was the father of Arthur K. and Sam R.; the latter still lives at the old home place, while Arthur lives in South Knoxville.
James Cavin lived at the Cavin Ford. He was born in North Carolina in 1802. At an early age he came here with his mother who lived to be nearly 100 years old.She was widely known as Aunt Betsy Cavin. James Cavin had one sister who married a Mr. Holcomb, a relative of the well known evangelist. Mr. Cavin married for a first wife a daughter of Henry Dupes of Nails Creek. He had four daughters, the only survivor of the four being Mrs. Jane Clemens, who lives one mile across the river from here, and whose age is 82. William R. Everett is also a grandson. He married a Murphy of Sevier County for a second wife and reared one daughter. Mrs. Clemens is likely the oldest person living in the neighborhood who has lived here all her life. She remembers the graveyard when it had only eight or ten graves in it. It was the custom at this time for the women to take their knitting to church during the week and knit until the service began. Mr. Cavin died at the age of 89. Rev. H.C. Clemens, who is one of the preacher boys going out from this place is a grandson of Mr. Cavin. We received a card from him a few days ago asking us to remember him on this occasion. Mrs. Clemens is the mother of three other children, Phi, Hugh and Mrs. Granville DeArmond, all living.
John Hafley lived up the dry branch from here about two miles. He was twice married. By the first wife he reared two sons and three daughters. The sons were Harvey and Wash. The girls were Tennessee, who married William Kidd; Melinda, who married Vance Cummings and Peggy, who married Major McCamy. By the second wife he reared two boys and one girl, Andrew and Charles and Sarah. Andrew married Euprazia Goddard and reared George, Horace and Estel. Charles died single. John Hafley had a brother, Cornelis or Cosnrod, who was the father of Wash and Bart, who are also buried here. Bart also lived up the dry branch only about one mile where his two sons, Wash and Pres, still live.
Philmore Green kept a public house over on the Goddard place. He sold to William Goddard on October 24, 1851. Mr. Goddard was reared in Knox County near the Stock Creek Baptist Church. His wife was a Miss Hitch. They reared a family of three boys and four girls. The boys were Elias or Dick, as he was called; William W. and James A. Of these, Elias is dead while James and William live in Maryville. The girls were Lucy, who married B.F. Willard; Euphrazia, who married Andrew Hafley; Mollie, who married John DeArmond; North Carolina or Cud as she was called, married J.C. DeLozier, all these reared families but only Bub and Bob, sons of William. Mrs. Nellie Ruble, daughter of J.C. DeLozier, remain in this neighborhood. Some are dead and the rest have gone to help make up the world in other places.
George Newman’s father came from Pennsylvania, and was one of the first settlers in this country. He was accidentally killed in an old fort just across the branch from his home which was the DeLozier place. His son, George, succeeded him and reared a family of two sons and daughters. Jacob married a sister to our Jack and Jim Davis. Her name was Elizabeth. They reared a family of girls. One married William Coulter, one married Bud Headrick and Ellen married J. Back French. Susan married Jesse DeLozier, who was born near Eusebia in 1824 and came in possession of the old Newman place in 1876, and reared a family of seven boys and three girls. The boys were George H., J.C., John B., Wiley, Andy, Willie and Ollie. Of these, Ollie and George are buried here. Lizzie married William McNelly and reared a family, but is also dead. Maggie married Dr. J.D. Singleton and lives in Maryville, while Cora married James Keller. The five boys and Cora all remain here. Another of the Newman girls married Robert L. Houston, kinsman of the noted Sam Houston of Texas. They reared a family just above the old Ambrister tan yard. Later the Trotter place. Mr. Houston died in 1902. His widow and son, Joe, live at the old place.
Samuel Bogard came from Sevier County in 1881. He died in 1887 leaving a widow and two children, Walter and Hannah, who still live here.”
Maryville Enterprise, Friday, August 18, 1911, Page 1:
“Logan’s Chapel---A Sketch. A Historical Article Dealing With The Older Families Who Lived About This Old Chapel.
George and Rebecca Julian lived where James McCamy now lives. They reared a family there; Isham, the oldest son, became a Methodist minister and lived at the old Allen Strick or Garner place just across the river from where Andy Davis now lives. Leaving there he lived and preached until he became so old and feeble he would have to sit down to preach, finally dying at the advanced age of 88. His father and mother died just fifteen days apart with a disease called black tongue. Their remains rest just back of this church in that little stone house. The dates of their births could not be obtained and do not appear on the slab at their heads. Neither do we know just when they came here, but it was as far back as 1820 and perhaps earlier. Their descendants are all gone except the great-grandchildren descending from the marriage of their daughter, Sallie, to James McCamy. But Bradley County is full of them.
John Brakebill lived at the Perry Franklin place and reared a large family. They were very prolific and it looked for a while like they were going to populate this common wealth; but they have scattered until only a few remain to represent that large family. Mrs. Sallie Cunningham, being the only one of the original family left here. John Jr. lives in Knoxville and is 75 years old. Most of them are dead. Uncle Peter lived to be 87 and reared a good sized family but William H. and George W. are the only ones left in this neighborhood. They lived on their father’s farm, to-wit, the Stephen Porter place, or earlier the Gordon White place. Gordon White was living there when our time began. He had a son, John, who died a young man and was buried on that slate knoll between the present homes of William and George Brakebill. It was during a wet season and water rose in the graves so much that it was necessary to bail it out before lowering the coffin. Some years later when the farm passed into other hands the Whites wanted to remove John’s remains to this place. Accordingly, they reopened the grave to find the body a solid rock. It had petrified and weighed 500 pounds or more. Samuel McCamy tried to cut the body with his knife, but it was like marking a stone. A story goes that his grave was robbed a few years ago and the body taken away, supposedly to be put in a museum; but we do not know if this is true. Several members of the White family are buried here.
Another very important factor in the neighborhood was Henry Dupes. He lived on Nails Creek but made all the furniture for this part of the country. The writer has a bookcase he made about the year 1813. It shows design, workmanship and skill. It is made of cherry and is almost as good as when it was made. Mrs. Sallie McBath has a corner cupboard made about the same time, made of walnut.Of course the lumber was all dressed by hand and everything about its trimmings, which are neat and artistic were done by hand. His eldest son, George, worked with his father; but his second son, Jacob, saw the necessity of hinges, and so he made a blacksmith, as did his son, George M., who only recently left this place to make his home in California. And just here it is only due to say that this graveyard never had two better friends than George Dupes and John Walker. There were never too busy to stop and dig a grave when it was needed, or to help clean off the graveyard or to do anything else that needed doing, and yet they were very busy men. A lesson for us.
Gardiner Mays lived at the old James Massey place just up Nails Creek from the Martin Mill. He reared a family but the writer only knew James and Flemmond, who divided the old place and reared large families for themselves. They lived on opposite sides of the creek. Their sister, Fanny, married a man named Caldwell and was the mother of Gardiner Caldwell. Their sister, Patsy, married a man named Johnson. James Mays married Susan Brakebill, while Flem, his brother, married a Sherrill. They have all gone, most of them dead. Gardiner Mays was among the first settlers here.
We do not know when the Martins came from Virginia here, but they were among the first settlers of this country. Warner Martin and his wife, Martha or Patsy, as she was called, first settled at the William Hall place or where John Adney now lives. He built the first mill in this whole country, and it ground only corn. It stood just below the ford of the branch at his home. Some of the old beams with their cog castings were there as late as 1865. There they reared a family of four boys that we know of. They were Peter, Joshua, John and Leonard. These boys were sent to West Point to college and educated; three of them made lawyers and John made a farmer and miller. The lawyers went early in life to Alabama where they plied their profession and where they died. One being a judge who dropped dead after pronouncing the sentence of death on a fellowman but a murderer. John, with his father, entered the entire valley around them, making in all 1,410 acres of land, which was very fertile and which had a very fine growth of timber on it. John married Sarah Swan, whose mother was a Buckingham, and he built down the creek where Willie DeLozier now lives. This house was built half at a time, the first half about the year 1806. Their first child, Warner, was born in 1808; William in 1810, then Henry, Leonard, John, Frank and Lucian. Four girls, Maria, Martha, Lizzie and Sarah. Of these only John Jr. made a farmer. William, Henry and Leonard read law, while Frank made a wanderer. Lucian died at the age of 21.
John married Isabella Porter, daughter of Capt. James Porter, and two girls, Florence and Frankie. The latter died when only a child, while Florence married William A. Colter, but died without children. Warner Sr. died and was buried at Eusebia because that was the only church and burying ground in this country. His widow lived at the old home alone with her 30 odd Negroes until she was old. Then she went to her sons in Alabama where she died. That branch, I suppose, called the old Patty Martin branch. Patty was a member of the Eusebia Church and used to take her little granddaughter, John’s Martha, behind her on a horse and ride to church every preaching Sunday, a distance of five miles. That little Martha was my mother and would have been 93 years old had she lived until now, being born in 1818. But she died in 1898 and was buried here where she had lived nearly all her life. John built a modern mill a few hundred yards above where the present Sanderson Mill now stands. This mill ground wheat as well as corn, and also had a sawmill attached. Of course it was a sash saw which worked up and down, the circular saw being of modern times. John Sr. died about the time the last half of his house was built which was about 1835. His widow remained there until the close of the Civil War when she sold to Thomas Sanderson in 1866, and went to Alabama where several of her children had preceded her. There she died and was buried. The only representatives of that large family left in this neighborhood is Mrs. Sallie McBath. And the only ones in Tennessee aside from Mrs. McBath is her brother, James McCamy and Mrs. John E. Hood, of Knoxville, who is a granddaughter of William. John Jr. and his family are buried here, and John Sr. at Eusebia. After John Jr. died, which was in 1861, his widow married George W. Henry, and reared three boys, Charles, George R. and Willie. Charles and Willie died just as they were reaching manhood, leaving only George R. or Tobe as he is called, to represent the Porters and the Henrys. Tobe owns both homesteads, that is the John C. Martin place and the Capt. James Porter place, but lives in Maryville.
Thomas Sanderson was an Englishman who added a carding machine to the mill. He reared four children: Edward, who is in the west; Barbara, who married John Cunningham and died recently in Kansas; Annie, who married George Brakebill, and is the only one left in this neighborhood; Nellie, who married Lee McCampbell and lives in Knoxville. Mr. Sanderson and his wife died at Little River Station on the K. & A. Railroad. He sold the mill property to Mr. Beeson, who died there, as did his wife, and both are buried here. Their children have all gone. Mr. Beeson sold the mill to A. Wells.
Major Reeder lived at the Henry Cochran place. He was quite a prominent citizen in his day. He, with his wife and one or two children are buried here. His daughter, Sarah Ann, married Samuel Henderson, and came into possession of the old home. They reared one son to be grown, George M. Mrs. Henderson, after the death of her husband in 1856, married John Jennings, a Methodist minister, and lived there during the Civil War. Later, Mr. Jennings was sent by the Holston Conference to Virginia to preach. He took with him Mrs. Jennings and their son, Charlie; and George Henderson became proprietor of the old home. But he sold to Andrew McBath and went to Arkansas. Mr. McBath sold to Henry Cochran and Cochran sold to the Waters boys, Joe and Otis. Not a living descendant of the Reeders is left in this country.
Stephen Plumlee lived at the James Harris “Black Jim” place. He reared a family there but sold to John Hunt and moved away years before the war. Mr. Hunt lived there during the war but at its close, sold to Dev Wright and went to Arkansas, I think.Mr. Wright lived there till about 1870 when he sold to Mr. Harris, whose sons, Charles and William, still live there. Mr. and Mrs. Harris both died there but were taken to their old home church, Stock Creek, in Knox County, for burial, as was also their eldest son, Andrew.
William and Mary McCamy kept a public house and stock lot at what is now the Rorex or Brabson Ford on Little River. People traveled by wagon and on horseback; they also drove horses and mules south and hence the necessity of stopping places. They also settled there about the year 1820, reared a family of seven boys and girls. The boys were John, Tim, James, Robert, Sam, Arthur and Major. Jane was the girl. James married Sarah Julian and Robert married her twin sister, Martha. James became the owner of the old home and reared a family of four boys and six girls. They boys were William, Samuel, Robert and James H. The girls were Rebecca, Martha, Sarah Ann, Neoma and Sophronia (twins) and Narcissus. William and Robert still live in Murray County, Georgia, William being 87 years old. Martha, (Mrs. Dr. Morton) and Narcissus live in Knoxville, while Sophronia lives in Texas. All the others being dead. John married Elizabeth Shaver and made his home at the old Julian place, where his eldest son, James, now lives. All the other children, numbering six, are dead except William, who lives at Chattanooga. And Lizzie has been an inmate of Lyons View asylum for 23 years. All the other McCamys went south, mainly to Georgia and there are only left in this neighborhood James, son of John, and Mrs. Sallie McBath to represent those several large families. Rebecca married Josias Gamble and left three boys and four girls, all living in or near Maryville. They boys are Andy, Hon. Moses and Alex. Mrs. Dr. McTeer of Maryville is a daughter of Martha Morton. Samuel married Martha Martin and lived on a part of the old Martin farm, where James Harris now lives, until he died in 1864, leaving a widow and two children, James L. and Mrs. Sallie McBath of Bank. His widow died in 1898, having been a widow for 35 years. She was a member of the church at Logan’s Chapel for nearly 67 years except the seven years she lived in Maryville. They are both buried here. J.L. McCamy and W.O. McBath composed the firm of McCamy & McBath who sold goods from 1883 to 1891, where J.C. DeLozier now sells. William, son of James, married Matilda Davis, sister of our Jim and Jack, and lived where Esq. James Dykes died a few years ago. Leaving there, he operated the upper ferry at Knoxville for a few years and then went to his present home in Georgia. He reared a large family. The others all married in Georgia except Miss Narcissus.”
Maryville Enterprise, Friday, August 25, 1911, Page 1:
“Logan’s Chapel---A Sketch. A Historical Article Dealing With The Older Families Who Lived About This Old Chapel.
Granny Wolf, as everybody called her, lived at the Caroline Carter place. We do not know anything about her husband, but she was a widow and reared there a son and daughter, James and Polly. James married Barbara Hafley and reared five boys and three girls. The boys were Marcus, Neil, Major, Frank and Joe. The girls were Peggy, who married a Brooks; Anna, who married a Glem, and Polly, who married Charley Ott. These all reared families but the only representatives left in this neighborhood that we know of is Peter, son of Neil, who lives where his father died years ago. Joe’s son, Alex, and perhaps others, lives near Union Academy near the county line between Blount and Sevier. But all the older ones are gone unless it is Joe who still lives. All are buried here. Marcus Ott lives here still.
G.W. and C.W. Adney were reared on the old Cruze place where C.W. died a few years ago. They all are buried here.
William Shaver lived about three miles northwest of here on the farm his son, Houston, still lives on. He married Betsy Hafley. His brother, Tom, owned and lived alone, having never been married, on the place where Mr. Ogle now lives. His sister married John McCamy. The Shavers are all buried here.
Peter Wheeler lived at what was later known as the James Wolf place or the old voting ground. He reared a family but his boys were mostly girls, two of whom married Wolfs, a thing rather remarkable. One married James Wolf and was his second wife, while Betsy married Neil Wolf, a son of James, making James and Neil brother-in-law as well as father-in-law. But we know one to beat that. Lewis Houser married a widow Brummett and his father, Phillip Houser, married his son, Lewis’ step-daughter, Sallie Brummett, thus making Lewis his father’s father-in-law; and all that happened right on this spot, for they were living in one of the old camps at the time. The old Wheeler place is now owned by the Harris brothers, William and Charles. All the Wheelers are buried here.
Mr. Kidd lived on a part of the Keller place. His son, Robert, married Easter Newman and settled on the farm where James W. French was living at the time he was drowned in Little River. Mr. Kidd reared a family but the only descendants are the children of Lizzie, who married J.W. French as a second wife. Peter French married William Kidd’s daughter, Malinda, and built on a part of the old Kidd place where his grandson, William, still lives. Hon. Charles T. Cates also married another daughter.
Alex McClain lived at the Col. James Davis place. He sold it to Samuel McCamy and he to Col. James Davis. It is now owned by Andrew Davis, son of Col. James Davis. The only survivor of the McClain family that we know of in this country is W.W. McClain of Maryville. The survivors of the Davis family are Mrs. Tobe Henry of Maryville and Mrs. Andy Hitch of Chandler.
The Covingtons lived where C.C. Haggard now lives, but they left before the war and we do not know what became of them. A man named Jacob Garman lived there during the war. Thomas Prichard bought the place and lived there a number of years. After James French sold his home to his brother-in-law, J.M. Goddard, which is now the home of James Johnson, he bought this place. After living there a few years he sold to Prof. W.M. Rogers and he to Dr. E.L. Mullendore, who came from Boyd’s Creek in Sevier County in 1881. And here Dr. Mullendore’s wife died. He reared two sons and five daughters. They were W.W., R.L., Mollie, Hattie, Ida, Annie and Matella. Of these only Ruel is left in this neighborhood; W.W. having become a Baptist preacher and is located in Madisonville; Mollie and Hattie are dead. After the Mullendore family scattered, the place was sold to C.C. Haggard.
John Walker, with his good wife, Sallie, and their children, Thomas, William, Joseph and Robert, also Margaret and Mary, came from Miller’s Cove to Nails Creek. They lived several years where Perry Franklin now lives. They left some older married children in the cove. Uncle Johnny, as everybody called him, was a blacksmith and a good man and made a good and useful citizen. Robert, their baby boy, who, by the way, made quite a noted Methodist minister, dying while holding the position of Conference Evangelist. Mrs. Margaret Dupes and several grandchildren are buried here, while William and Joe still live in the neighborhood.
The French family originated in Knox County, near New Salem Church. But they always attended our camp meetings. And two of Jacob’s sons, James W., and Peter, finally made this their home. James on the Monroe Goddard place, and Peter, having married Malinda Kidd, inherited a part of the old Kidd place, which is now known as the Keller place. James reared a family of eight sons and two daughters. The boys were Thomas, Millard, William, Jefferson, Stephen, John, James Jr., and George H. The girls were Ellen and Victoria. James, his two wives and several children are buried here; the others have left the county and some the state. Peter reared Tennessee, J. Baxter and Jacob. Peter, Malinda, Tennessee (Mrs. H.C. Clemens) and Jacob are all buried here, only leaving Baxter and his family to represent the French name in this county. Baxter lives at the old Jacob Newman home place while his son, Willie, lives at the Peter French place.
Another prominent name in the ancient history of this place is that of Britton Girard or Garrett as he was called. He was a local preacher and lived with his wife, Hazel, near the old Wolf homestead, later the Carolina Carter place. They had no children but are buried here.
John Thomas, another old landmark, was born in Virginia in 1794. He came to this place about 1818 or 1820. He bought the old Yankee Hill place, now owned by a Mr. Clevenger, from a man named Kirkpatrick. He fought in the War of 1812, after which he ran a blacksmith shop in connection with his farm. There he made the wagon that hauled the Logans to Illinois. He sold the wagon to Robert Pickens and he to the Logans. Here, Mr. Thomas reared a considerable family. His sons were William, Marion, Andrew and John. His daughter was Mrs. Mary Ann Kennedy. All are dead but Marion and John, who is an old man and lives in Knoxville. William, his eldest son, came into possession of a part of the old home and reared a family of five boys: Joseph and William Jr., by his first wife, and John, Dock and Major by his second wife. His brothers also reared families but left the old neighborhood to do so. Marion has a son near Rockford known as Red Jim; and other children live near Knoxville. The old couple, with many of their children are buried here.
Alfred Seaton lived on Crooked Creek four miles away, but attended church here. And he, with members of his family are buried here. Rev. James B. Seaton, his brother, came from Sevier County in 1867 and settled where his widow still lives. Rev. Seaton preached all over this county and has gone home to enjoy the reward of the faithful. Besides being a preacher, he was a consecrated Christian gentleman and a good citizen.
Esq. D.W. Trotter also came from Sevier County and bought the old Ambrister tan yard in 1872, where he has since lived. His first wife was a daughter of Alfred Seaton, and they reared Mollie, Maggie, Minnie, Myrtle, Isaac and James. His present wife was Miss Bobbie McTeer. The End.”