======================================= Source: HISTORY OF WYOMING CO., NY BY: F. W. BEERS, 1880 =======================================
JAMES O. McCLURE was born in Jordan, Onondaga county, New York, Nov. 16th, 1828. He received his education in the select schools and the Jordan Academic Institute, graduating as civil engineer and surveyor. In 1847 he removed to Syracuse, NY, in 1850 was employed on the Rochester & Syracuse Railroad, and in 1851 on the New York and Erie Railway. From 1852 to 1864, inclusive, he was employed as engineer of the New York State canals. From the Spring of 1865 he carried on the drug trade at Warsaw, Wyoming Co., NY until 1872, since which time he has followed his profession and the business of fire insurance. In 1870 he was engineer of the Warsaw Water Works Company, and its secretary and superintendent for eight years succeeding. He was village clerk of Warsaw from 1869 to 1878, superintendent of the Warsaw Gas Light Company from 1867 to 1873, secretary of the Warsaw Cemetery Association from 1873 to the present time, and is secretary of the Wyoming County Agricultural Society, to which position he was elected in 1873. He was chief engineer of the fire department of Warsaw in 1873, 1874 and 1879, and engineer in charge of the erection of the Wyoming County Soldiers Monument in 1877. In 1848 he became a member of the Syracuse Citizens Corps. In 1856 he was lieutenant of the Lockport Light Dragoons. From 1857 he commanded the "Washington Hunt Guards" in that city until the Rebellion of 1861, when the company enlisted in the 28th N.Y. volunteer Infantry, which he helped to recruit. In 1863 he was commissioned colonel of the 75th regiment N.G. which he had recruited, and he remained in the State service until Sept., 1866. Colonel McClure was married April 20th, 1851, to Huldah, daughter of Colonel William Bingham, of Warsaw, Wyoming Co., NY, by whom he has two children; Ida McClure and Frederic William McClure.