I have discovered what I think is the unit of our McCole family who actually emigrated from Ireland to the U.S.
I discovered this information while researching on line. Of course I am not positive that these folks belong to us. However, there is an EXTREMELY high correlation between the facts I know for sure and the facts of these folks. So here's what I have found:
1. In the 1850 U.S. Census of Brooklyn, NY, Patrick McCole is listed as 46, a laborer, born in Ireland, living in dwelling house #423, cannot read or write, with wife Catherine and children Edward, John, Bridget, Daniel, Michael, and Patrick.
2. Patrick McCole, laborer, is listed at 35 Middagh (St.), Brooklyn, NY, in the 1889, 1990 Brooklyn Directory.
3. In the 1880 US Census there is a Patrick McCole, 70, born Ireland, parents born Ireland, living in the 2nd Ward of Brooklyn with wife Julia, 40.
4. There is a “Patrick McCole, coffee, listed at 21 Hicks” in the 1888-1889 Brooklyn Directory. Could this be the son?
5. Patrick McCole is listed in the 1860 US Census in the 2nd Ward, 2nd District, Brooklyn,King’s County, NY at Ancestry.com. No further details in January 2003.