From a listing showing: Allen Grove Presbyterian Cemetery, transcribed (1997) and submitted by Lois Ann Edison. Also is on a Marshall Ct, WV Genealogy page.
1. Did the MCCOMBS, Jonathan, 1805-10Sept1865 marry a Mary Ann WHARRY (Warry, Wherry) on 22Jan1838 in Marshall Cty, WV? If not, who?
2. Also shows a Sarah McCombs BARNET with no dates.
3. A William H. BARNET, 18Jul1841-20Jan1920. A Cpr Co.H.17th Infty.
4. Is this Sarah related to Jonathan and married to William?
5. Also on Marshall Cty, WV Genealogy page shows a William BARNETT, 23, and Sarah MCCOMBS, 21, married 30May1867.
6. A family group record shows a William BARNETT and a Sarah D. MCCOMBS married in Marshall Cty, WV and with six children.
7. The 4th child is a Stella BARNETT, born 1879.
In my old, old family album is a picture with the words Grandmother SHERRARD in one handwriting and Stella BARNETT in another handwriting on the back of the picture.
In the 1850 Census in Marshall Cty are seven families with the MCCOMBS last name.Six of the families I can connected together but alas, the seventh family I cannot. These are my gr. grandparents John and Mary Ann WHARRY MCCOMBS with the four oldest children.
1. Rachel I. MCCOMBS, born 1838 in VA, married 1860 (the first or second marriage in Greenwood Cty, KS)to Hiram Cunningham PRATHER.
2. Mary Margaret MCCOMBS born Dec 25th 1840 in VA. died April 30, 1910 in KS.
3. Elizabeth MCCOMBS, born 1842 in VA, married William HUNNYCUTT June 18, 1866 in Greenwood Cty,KS.
4. George Wherry MCCOMBS, born in 1848 in VA, Marshall Cty, WV, married Melissa Mary ANDERSON, on Nov 4, 1868 in KS.He died May 5, 1875 in Eureka, KS (This line went to TX, quite a few of them still there).
5. John Davis MCCOMBS born April 16, 1856 in VA, married Mary Caroline CHRISTIANSON on Feb 23, 1887 in Eureka, KS.He died Oct 26, 1928 in LA., CA. This is my grandparents.They had four children, three sons and a daughter.Two of the sons had daughters and no sons, so this line has "daughtered out".
Mary Ann WHARRY MCCOMBS died Sept 3, 1878 and is buried in Lot 2, Bk 2, Greenwood Cemetery in KS. There is no record of John after the 1850 census.Mary and the five children show up in the 1860 census (Greenwood Cty, KS) with a James Wharry, wife Sharlott? all from VA.Children #2,3,4,5 are also listed along with a Thomas Wharry, age 81 or so, born in VA.
Am still trying to find John's parents and siblings.Lots of possibilities but no definite connections.Will appreciate any help.I have collected information on over a hundred John MCCOMBS in this area but not are mine.
Dorothy McCombs Moore in San Diego, CA