Minneapolis (KS) Messenger, Oct. 9, 1952, page 8:
Longford, Vine and Minneapolis communities suffered the loss of a very outstanding and much beloved citizen in the person of Frank McCready, of Vine, Kansas, who was called to his eternal reward, Saturday, September 27, 1952.
Frank McCready, youngest son of J.B. and Sarah Ann McCready, was born at Hookstown, Beaver County, Pa., May 18, 1874.At the age of 14 years, he came with his parents to Lindsey, Kansas, where his father operated a flour mill, assisted by his son, Frank.Later the mill burned and the family moved to Minneapolis.
They afterwards lived on the Gafford ranch west of Longford, the father and his two sons, James II and Frank, engaged in the cattle business.
Mr. McCready was united in marriage with Lucy Buck, of Ada, Kansas, August 4, 1897.To this union were born six children: Grace, John, Reva, Frances, Theodore and Elizabeth.He was preceded in death by Frances in 1925 and Mrs. McCready in 1936.
In 1900 he purchased a home near Vine, where he resided until the time of his death.Frank ever loved the hills around Vine, having fallen in love with Kansas, when, as a lad from Pennsylvania, he stood at the rear of the train one June day, all the way from Junction City to Minneapolis, drinking in the beauty of his plains and hills.
He thought it the most beautiful country he had ever seen and decided he would always like to live here.
He became very successful in his business: raising, feeding and shipping cattle throughout the years, operating both in Kansas and in Texas.Hardships and reverses there were, but he met all with courage and renewed effort, crowned with success.He was a very good judge of cattle, and was widely known among cattle and commission men throughout the country.
He was quite active until the time of his passing.Shortly before his death he still had a herd of Herefords, and had cattle in feeding at the time of his death.
Oct. 27, 1938, he was married to Mrs. Estella Emrich, of Longford, Kansas.Mr. McCready was converted in early life, and united with the Presbyterian church, his ancestors for many years back having been of this denomination.He later united with the Evangelical United Brethren Church at Longford.He was ever a faithful attendant at the services of the sanctuary and was a trustee of the church for many years, holding that office at the time of his death--- was ever a staunch supporter of the church in every way.
Many worthy causes were remembered by Mr. McCready, all done so quietly, not wanting his alm-giving to be seen and known of men.
A much loved neighbor and friend, always interested and helpful in everything that was for the good of the community; as one of the neighbors expressed it, "we don't know how we'll get along without him out there."
He loved his home and all who came to his door received a warm and kindly welcome.Especially was this home a haven for the many school teachers who throughout the years taught the Vine school.A good man had gone home, and "his works do follow him."
He is survived by his wife, Estella, his five children, Mrs. James Cherry of Bennington; John, of Lamar; Mrs. M.C. Barkley, Mrs. Merle Neaderhiser, and Theodore, all of Longford, Kansas; his step-children: George M. Emrich, of Winfield; Hugh, of Ellsworth; Donald, of ElDorado; Bernard and Mrs. Robert Bowyer, of Salina, Kansas; 22 grandchildren, eight great grandchildren; one niece, Mrs. Frank Shapard, of Chapman, Kansas; other relatives and a host of friends.
Funeral services were held at the Longford church Monday afternoon, Sept. 29th, conducted by the pastor, The Rev. Herbert A. Iwig, assisted by the pastor of The Sun Valley Baptist Church, near Vine, The Rev. Dwight Cox.Mrs. Chas. Kiekel, of Abilene, and Mrs. Earl George, of Longford, sang "The Old Rugged Cross" and "Jesus Savior, Pilot Me."Mrs. Kiekel sang "Only A Dream."The pallbearers were James Riley, John Riley, Sherman Lyles, Frank Haefling, Ted Cherry and Sherman Smith.The many beautiful floral offerings bespoke the love and high esteem in which Mr. McCready was held.Burial was made in Highland cemetery at Minneapolis.