I am descended from several Crisfield, MD families. For starters, Crisfield was orginally known as Ape's Hole! also Lawsonia actually means land along the Annemessex River (Pokomoke Sound) which is where the first Sterling settled and it was the 3rd one who went Crisfield. I have visited Crisfield.
I wish I knew more about the McCreadys, but here is what I know.
Benjamin McCready m. Elizabeth Thomas. Their son Thomas m. Patty Anne Nelson ( daughter of Willam Nelson & Ellen Riggin). They had 8 children:
1) Thomas Sidney (1852-1930) who m. twice; 1st wife is unknown; 2nd wife was Margie Nelson. 3 c: Ernest, Ralph, Roy
2)Francis Asbury 1854-1932 -- m. Nancy Bell Whealton, 7 c.:Orace (Jerry), William, Lloyd, Nettie, Nola, Elwood, Welton
3)William B. 1862-1944, 3 c.:William, Eva, Arintha Ann
4)Ulysses Grant, m.?, 5 c.:Beatrice, Dora, Ida, Clarence Walter
5)Ella Ann m. Charles Christopher Sterling (son of Christopher Sterling & Julia Lawson, gr-son of Elijah Sterling & Jane Croswell,gr gr of John Sterling and Betsy Todd whose daughter m. Thomas Kind Nelson. If you want more on the Sterlings, let me know.
6)Emma m. Edward Frank Sterling (brother to Charles Christopher Sterling)
7. Olivia m. John Newman, 3 c: John, Edna, Lola
8. Sidney 1851-53
Azariah Nelson, b. 1821 (Crisfield);drowned 1865 (not 1871 acc. to gravestone in cemetery); m. 1849 Mary Elizabeth McCready (1830- 1917 (he did not marry Mary Catherine McCready); 6 c:
1) Effie (1864-1937) m. John Wallace
2) Wingfield Scott (1860-1932), m. Marion Bell, c: Doris
3) Thomas Fletcher (my gr-grandfather) (b. 1856 in Crisfield; d. 1937 in Mathews Co., VA); m. 1875 Lucretia Hogge (1856-1943); 6 c.: Mary Elizabeth, Lulie Matie, Ellie Lee, George Wesley, Lila Thomas (my grandfather), Lilie Tabb
4) William Benjamin (1849/50-1942), 3 c: Harry, William, Anne
5)James Wesley (18852-1949), 3 c: Margaret, Alice, Helen)
son of William Nelson (b. 1808, Lawsonia, d. 1881 Hopewell, VA)) m. Ellen Riggin (b. 1811 Crisfield, d.1884 Hopewell)l 7 c:
2) Patty Anne me Thomas A. McCready
3) William 1833-1859
4) Noah 1841-1898
5) Mary Ellen m. William H. Sterline
6. Edward 1843-1925 m. Nancy Newman
7. John K. m. Julia Frances Davy
William was the son of Thomas Kind Nelson ("King Nelson") (1757-1853 m. Grace Sterling, 8 c.:
1) John (d. 1864)m. Margaret Cox
2) Thomas (1797-1865) m. Nancy Cox (sister to Margaret)
5. Grace m. John Somers
6) Elizabeth m. Aaron Polk Sterling
7) Nancy m. Kenny Taures
8) Mary m. William Lawson
Thomas Kind Nelson settled first in VA (Fox Island and then Accomack during the Rev. War -- after the war, he left VA for MD (Jenkins Creek) -- his father was Zarariah Nelson m. Alice Jewitt who ties into the Sterlings -- story is that he is the 9th child of President William Nelson, son of Scotch Tom Nelson and that he wnet by boat from Yorktown to Maryland, and many of the boats in the convoy sank -- whatever, my great-grandfather and his brother had the keys to the Nelson home in Yorktown; my great aunts remembered going over from Gloucester/Mathews to Yorktown by boat and playing in that house while their father checked on things; they swore that we come thru Pres. William and not Gen. Nelson. Maryland stories say that Thomas Kind Nelson was the grandson of Scotch Tom. It's all a muddle of sorts, compounded by the use of first names over and over.
If you'd like more info on the Sterlings, I'd be glad to send it. I'd certainly appreciate any info you have on these Crisfield families.
Gini La Charite