“The First One Hundred Years of McKeesport” Compiled and Prepared by Walter S. Abbott and William E. Harrison Centennial Historical Committee.McKeesport, Pa Press of McKeesport Times, 1894 Quotes from book.
UNDER McKEESPORT "SILENT CITIES"
"The first burial ground, graveyard or cemetery established here was on a high mound of sandy soil, about one acre in extent, situated between Ninth street and School alley, just east of Walnut street. The ground was set apart for burial purposes by DAVID McKEE, father of JOHN McKEE, back in the last century, and it was used for that purpose until it became entirely filled with the remains of former residents of the town and neighborhood.In 1874, the authorities deemed it essential to remove the old landmark.The bodies were carefully removed to other cemeteries which had already been established and the borough authorities leveled the sand bank, laid the land out in lots and sold it. McKeesport's first city of the dead is now completely obliterated, the site being covered was once covered by dwellings, a church, a livery stable, etc., and what was once a quiet, country graveyard, sheltered by forest trees and dotted with grassy mounds above the remains of people once the pride of the town, has been transformed for other uses, made necessary by the march of progress.
The McKeesport and Versailles Cemetery Company was chartered at the June term of Court in 1856.It purchased twenty-six acres of land from the Huey heirs on June 30, 1856, and the cemetery was formally dedicated on November 6th, 1856..."