Title: Old and new Westmoreland / by John N. Boucher. Vol. 2. Author: Boucher, John Newton, 1854-1933.
pg. 479 “Jeannette, the noted “Glass City,” bears the proud distinction of being the first large manufacturing town in Westmoreland county...The borough derived its name from the wife of one of the founders, JEANNETTE being the name of MRS. McKEE, whose husband, H. SELLERS McKEE, in company with the Western Land Improvement Company, of Philadelphia, together with MESSRS. CHAMBERS and BRICKELL, of Pittsburgh, purchased in the spring of 1888 the farms of J. F. THOMPSON, SOLOMON LOUGHNER and J. F.(pg. 480) GILCHRIST.The discovery of natural gas at Grapeville brought ready capital to his point.The land company above named opened an office in an old brick farm house, which then stood in an orchard near where the Presbyterian Church of Jeannette now stands.The buildings of CHAMBERS & McKEE GLASS WORKS was the first move towards the buildings of the town of Jeannette.”