Title: History of Beaver County, Pennsylvania : and its centennial celebration Vol. 1 / by Joseph H. Bausman ; illustrated.
Author: Bausman, Joseph Henderson, 1854-
“About 1768 or 1769 ALEXANDER McKEE had made improvements at what is now known as McKEE’S Rocks in Allegheny County.WASHINGTON makes mention of him in his account of the Moravian Brethen, under the leadership of ZEISBERGER and SENSEMAN, was established in what became Beaver County, at the point now within the bounds of Lawrence County...”
“ If residence in the territory as an Indian trader constituted a claim as a settler, then ALEXANDER McKEE would have to be put before GIBSON, for head made improvements opposite Logstown (within the present limits of Beaver County) sometime prior to 1769.In that year a tract of land there was surveyed for him, containing three hundred acres, on which he had erected a house.This tract was confiscated and advertised for sale in Pittsburg shortly after McKEE had become a renegade (March 28, 1778).But he, like GIBSON, must, we think, be considered as belonging to what became Allegheny County rather than to Beaver...”
“One of the first to improve the land at the falls of the Beaver was JOHN McKEE, of what is now McKeesport..This improvement is described in the chapter of this work on Fallston borough, to which the reader is referred...”
Title: History of Washington County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men / edited by Boyd Crumrine. Illustrated. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts and Co., 1882.
Author: Crumrine, Boyd, 1838-1916
in small letters on the page
“ This maneuver as to ALEXANDER McKEE did not amount to much.He was a native of Pennsylvania, and trader among the Indians.In 1772 he became a deputy Indian agent.He soon after this letter began to act openly with the partisans of Lord Dunmore, although he had been a justice of Bedford County and was then a justice for Westmoreland County.He became an official of the Virginia courts when organized in the Monongahela Valley, and in the spring of 1778, with SIMON GIRTY, MATTHEW ELLIOT, and other renegades, went over to the Indians, who were then allied with the British.He had a fine body of lands at the mouth of Chartiers Creek.In the “Record Book of Surveys made in Yohogania County, A.D. 1780, by William Crawford, Surveyor,” is found an entry that on June 15, 1780, Benjamin Johnston “produced a warrant for 500 acres of land, dated 20th May 1780, No. 4925, which he locates and enters on lands whereon ALEXANDER McKEE lived at the mouth of Shirtee or Chartiers creek, the said McKEE having left the same and Pentecost, but no warrant being left in the office, the entry became invalid or void.”Virginia had ceased then to be a royal colony...”
“PETER McKEE, an Irishman by birth, emigrated to America, and soon after his arrival came to Hopewell township, bringing his family with him.He purchased one hundred acres of land of John Brown, the deed being made Jan. 20, 1803.This was a part of “Castle Bracken,” a tract of three hundred and eighty acres.PETER McKEE’S children were THOMAS, JOHN, JAMES, and MARGARET.JOHN never married; MARGARET became the wife of JACOB LOGAN; THOMAS married MARY VINCENT, and they had three children, - JANE, JAMES, and SAMUEL.JAMES McKEE married MARGARET DRYDEN,and their two children were JAMES and MARGARET.The farm that belonged to PETER McKEE, is now owned by JAMES McKEE, his great-grandson.”