Chartiers Twp. (pp. 707-720) History of Washington County, Pennsylvania
The township of Chartiers was erected by action of the Court of Quarter Sessions of Washington County on the 23d of March, 1790, in accordance with a petition from the inhabitants residing within the limits. It was originally the southern part of Cecil Township and embraced its present territory, the southeast part of Mount Pleasant township, and the north part of Canton. Upon the erection of Canton, the next year, a portion was taken to form that township, and in 1808 the northwest part was taken off to become a part of Mount Pleasant, the western boundary line then passing through the town of Hickory. A slight change was made in October, 1831, giving a small portion of territory to Mount Pleasant, and in 1863 the boundary line between Chartiers and Canton was changed and adjusted as at present.
Samuel Agnew came from York County, Pa., in the spring of 1780, and purchased (April 15th of that year) two tracts of land of four hundred acres each located on George's Run, a branch of Chartiers Creek. On the 16th of September, 1785, warrants were issued for both tracts, one to Samuel Agnew, the other to Matthew Henderson. The Agnew tract was surveyed as "Nantucket," containing four hundred and three acres; the Henderson tract as "Strabane," containing three hundred and twenty-one acres. On the 22d of May, 1786, Matthew Henderson sold to Samuel Agnew the tract "Strabane," and on the 9th of December in that year patents were issued for both of them to Samuel Agnew. Upon his first settlement in this section of country, in 1780, he built his cabin on the Strabane tract, where he lived and died. He was elected a justice of the peace of one of the districts, which at that time embraced several townships. Later he was a member of the Legislature of the State. He had three sons and three daughters. Of the sons one settled on the homestead and died there, and his son, E. J. Agnew, now owns the farm. Other children and grandchildren are living in the township. John, son of Samuel Agnew, Sr., settled in what is now West Virginia. James, also a son, settled on part of the "Strabane" tract. The daughters all married and settled in Virginia. The tract called "Nantucket" joined "Strabane" on the northeast. It is now owned by John McKee, Thomas and John Paxton.