Descendants of Alexander William McKee
1.Alexander William McKee was born about 1665-1668, possibly in Derry N. Ireland and died May 1740 in “Will” Oughly, Drumbo Doen N. Ireland.He was believed the son of James, David or JamesMackey and Margaret Patterson of Down Ireland.He married about 169x to Miriam Brown, bca 1670 in County Down and they are believed to have at least six children includingRobert Brown McKee, Jean McKee, Thomas McKee, William McKee, Patrick McKee and John McKee all born and some married in Ireland. David McKee?
These brothers and possible sisters with their respective families allappear to have settled first in Lancaster Co PA. from Ireland about 1736-1738.Robert and John moved south from Lancaster Co. PA about 1749-5x and settled about eight miles north of the present city of Lexington VA in the Borden Tract of Augusta Co VA later Rockbridge Co. There are no tract recorded conveyance to McKee prior to 1750 at which time a John McKee purchased 170 acres from Mary Doutlat.Some settlers did locate near to but outside the Borden Boundary.This 92,000 acre tract is well explained in Ref 2 as noted.
Brother William McKee, in 1760, followed Robert and John to Augusta Co. VA.His married son James appears to have accompanied this move.Of the two brothers stayed in PA, they appear to have moved west from Lancaster County, about 1788, Patrick to the Wheeling West VA area and Thomas to Pittsburgh PA area.
2.Robert Brown McKee son of Alexander William McKee and Miriam Brown was born about 1692 in Drumbo, Down N. Ireland and died 6 Nov 1774 (or 11 June 1776) in Augusta now Rockbridge Co Virginia.He married, possibly in March 1730?, at Drumbo Ireland toAgnes Cunningham born 2 Feb 1707.She was daughter of John Cunningham and Elizabeth Stewart.She died 29 Jan 1780 in Rockbridge Co VA. They hadWilliam McKee, John McKee and possibly Alexander McKee.
3.John McKee 2nd son of Alexander and Miriam was believed christened on 13 June 1706 in Drumbo Ireland and died on 2 Mar 1792 in Kerrs Creek, Rockbridge Co, VA.He first married Jane Logan on 29 Jan 1744. She born about 1730 asdaughter of David Logan of Cumberland PA.Jane was killed late in term of another child during an Indian raid on the Kerrs Creek settlement of July 17 1763. At the time of her death there were eight children in the family including , Mary McKee, Miriam McKee, William McKee, James Logan McKee, Robert Logan McKee John McKee William McKee David McKee.Widower John McKee later married Rosannah Cunningham on 12 Dec 1765 in Rockbridge Co. VA and they had one son John J. McKee likely born in Rockbridge Co. Rosannah died 19 Jan 1806.
4.William McKee was likely born about 170x in Drumbo Ireland and died in Virginia. He followed his brothers Robert and John from Lancaster PA to VA about 1760. Little known other that he is believed to be the father of a James McKee of Rockbridge Co VA.. There is a record of a William McKee owning a Borden tract next to John Summers in 1768.Family tradition has that he and family moved to Montgomery County KY about 1788.
The threechildren of pioneer Robert Brown McKee and Agnes Cunningham include William, John and possibly Alexander.
5.William McKee born 17 May 1732 and died 12 Oct 1816 in Garrard Co KY.He came to America as child with father Robert from Ireland.He firstmarried on 20 May 1766 to his cousin Miriam McKee daughter of John and Jane Logan McKeepossibly in Jessamine KYThey had eight surviving children all born in Virginia as he moved to Lincoln Co Kentucky in 1792four years before Miriam’s death on 3 Oct 1796.William remarried to a widow, Mrs Davis, who seems to have been a relative by blood.
This William active in both French & Indian War and Revolutionary War. He was a Captain of VA Militia Company at Pt Pleasant in 1774 appointed a Colonel in 1785 and later served as a Virginia delegate from Rockbridge County to ratify the US Constitution.
6.John James McKee was born about 1735 in Rockbridge Co VA and died in March 1780 (or 1808) on Buffalo Creek of Kerrs Creek, Rockbridge Co.He married Ester Davidson Houston, born 1742 in Augusta Co VA and died about 1780. She was the daughter of Robert and Margaret Davidson Houston. John marriedin 1761 on Kerrs Creek, Botetourt Co VA.They are buried in Oxford Church Cemetery, Lexington KY.
7.Alexander McKee, possibly the third son, was born about 1750 and died in Maury Co TN between 1830-1840. This Alexander believed to have married in Orange Co NC to Mary Bean, born 11 June 1746 in Orange Co NC and died 3 Aug 1822 in Maury Co TN. Alexander and Mary, her 2nd,were married about 1770 in Orange Co NC.. Both believed to be buried in Maury Co TN.
The nine known children of pioneer John McKee, (son of Alexander McKee), include eight with Jane Logan McKee and one with Rosanna Cunningham.
8.Mary McKee who was born 11 June 1746 in Orange Co NC and died 3 Aug. 1822 in Maury Co TN.Shemarried Hugh Weir (Ware), (b1742 & d16 Jul 1822).They possibly had had daughter, Jane Weir born 14 Apl 1775 in Augusta Co VA..As the oldest child Marywas noted first as Mary Weir in her fathers will.According to family records, the couple lived and died on Whistle Ck, Rockbridge County.
9.Miriam McKee was born 27 Sept 1747 and died 30 Oct 1796 in Lincoln Co. KY.She married on 20 May 1766 to her cousin William McKee in Jassamine Co Ky where they lived and both likely died.They had eight surviving of thirteen known children.
10. William McKee was born 18 Feb 1750 and died an infant on 28 Jul 1752.
11.James Logan McKee was born 14 Mar.1752 on Kerrs Creek , Rockbridge Co VA and died 14 Aug 1832.He first married on 6 Jun 1782 to Janet Telford, b 19 Oct 1754, d 30 Apl 1800,in Rockbridge Co VAThey had one known son John Telford McKee born in 1785, Janet died in 1800 and James later married on 26 Mar1807, to Mrs. Nancy Scott, born on Colliers Creek Rockbridge Co VA, a widow and possible relative of his first wife.At time of marriage she had two children, Jane and Samuel W.After marrying James they had two children Martha H and Mary S. McKee.
12. Robert Logan McKee was born 4 Mar 1754 at Kerrs Creek Rockbridge Co VA and died about 1812 possibly in Woodford Co KY.He first married in 1786 to Margaret Hamilton who died in 1793.They had two children (John, b 1787 & Samuel b 1789) and moved to KY about 1790 where Margaret died in 1793.Robert then re-married in 1795 to Jane Jack of NC.They had four children (Margaret, Mary, James & Robert all believed born in KY).This Robert L McKee was active in VA militia in Indian Wars and Revolutionary War.
13.John McKee was born 17 Dec 1756 and died 24 May as young boy in 1761.
14. William McKee was born 28 Feb 1759 on Kerrs Creek Rockbridge Co VA and died about 1833.He married Jean or Jane Kenady (Kennedy) on 21 Jan 1790 in Botetourt Co VA. They had two known children (James M. And Margaret McKee both had large families in VA).William & Janet are buried in New Providence Church Cemetery of VA.This William may have been the first sheriff of Rockbridge Co.
15. David McKee was born 25 Dec 1760 and died 20 Aug 1825 in Union Mills, Jassamine Co KY.His W< probated Sep 1825. On 16 Sept.1788 in Rockbridge Co, he married Anne Dunlap, b 5 Dec 1765, in Aspen Grove, Rockbridge Co and d 2 Jul 1814 in Jessamine KY. She was daughter of Robert and Mary Gay Dunlap.They had ten known children in Ky. (Jane Logan, Miriam, Margaret, Nancy Logan, John, Robert, David and James. Some later moved to IL and OH.)
16.John McKee Jr. is only known child that pioneer John McKee had with 2nd wife Rosanna Cunningham.This son was born 27 Oct 1771 and died 1 Dec.1815 in Rockbridge County. Believed to stayed on the old McKee place on Kerrs Ck after having married Susanna Simonds 14 Jun 1795.She died before John Jr.on 20 Mar 1815. They had no children.This John Jr. was half uncle to John Telford McKee
The only identifiable child of pioneer William McKee (son of Alexander McKee of Drumbo, Ire.) is James McKee.
17. James McKee was born about 1726 and died 26 Apl 1778.He married Lydia Todd, ( born about 1736, died about 1811), about 1756 She was daughter of nearby James Todd family who later moved to Bedford Co.James and Lydiahad seven known children.Possibly this Lydia was related to Levi Todd and early pioneer of Fayette Co VA.James McKee signed his LW&T on 26 Apl 1778. It was probated on 4 Aug 1778 naming wife Lydia as an Executor. Thereafter Lydia moved with children to KY.
William McKee who married his cousin Miriam McKee had eight known children.
18. John McKee born 4 May 1767 and died in Oct.1818.He married Mary (Polly) Bratton (or Pattan) in May 1794, likely in Ky.
19. Agnes Nancy) McKee was born 14 Sep1768 and died in Mar 1802. She married possibly (1) John Houston and (2) Rev. James Willson in Aug.1788.
20. Robert McKee born 19 Feb 1770 died 5 Aug 1775 age five years
21. William McKee was born 19 Oct.1771 (or 10 Sep 1771) on Kerrs Ck VA and died about 1840 (or 10 Oct 1855). In laurel Co KY.He married Mrs. Davis a possible widow and relative.
22. James McKee was 26 Jun 1773 and died the following Sept 1773
23. Samuel F. McKee was born 13 Oct.1774 in Rockbridge Co and died 16 Oct.1826 in Hickman Co KY. He married on 25 Jun 1807 likely in KY to Martha Robertson, b 9 Jul 1788 & d 14 Apl 1848 daughter of Alexander Robertson of Mercer Co KY.Samuel and Martha McKee, between 1808 and 1818had four children (William Robertson, George Robertson, Alexander Robertson and Jane Logan McKeeN.B. The follow-on families for these four are listed in George Wilson McKee book on McKees of Virginia and Kentucky)
He was a lawyer in KY, a US Dist. Court Judge and member of USCongress for KY from 1808 to 1816. While member of Ky Congress volunteered for military service in war of 1812 and returned to Congress.
24. Robert McKee born 19 Oct 1776 and died 12 Aug 1778 as near two year old.
25. Jane McKee was born 17 Feb 1779 and died 4 Apl 1800 as one year old.
26. Ebenezer McKee was born 25 Jul1781 and died 30 Mar 2783 near two years.
27. Mary (Polly) Weir McKee was born 20 Nov 1783 and died about 1858?She married John A. Lapsley, bca 1783 in Clark Co MO, dca 1859 and believed to have had twelve children in KY and MO.
28. David Logan McKee born 17 Jul 1786 and died 18 Oct 1830 in Lancaster Co. KY.On 3 Dec 1812, he married Elizabeth (Betty) Brown Letcher, bca 1790, dca 1862.It is possible that this David McKee purchased twenty acres in Harrison Co Ky on 1 July 1801.
29. Hugh Ware McKee was born 22 Apl1790 and died about 1847 in Lancaster Co KY.
30. James McKee was born on2 Oct 1790 in Rockbridge Coand died 18 Nov.1866 in Kosciusko, Atalla Co MS. James married in Aug 1818 in Rockbridge Co. to Mary Clelland. Lapsley b xxx and died 6 Oct 1853. She was daughter of John and Mary Armstrong Lapsley of Gerrard Co KY.. They have seven known children in MO, Ky and MS.One son John Lapsley McKee b16 Feb 1827 was in Harrodsburg KY in 1885.
The five known children of John James and Esther Houston are as follows
31. Nancy Agnes McKee born about 1767 and died about xxx.She married John Gay, possibly moved to Indiana where they had large family.
32. Robert McKee born about 1768-69 probably in Rockbridge Co Va. Believed to have moved to Point Pleasant VA never married.
33. John McKee born10 Sept 1771,( if twin of William) and died about 1832. This John was an Indian Agent, moved to ALA was US Senator for Alabama and died there.
34. William Houston McKee was born 10 Sept 1771, (if twin of John) and died 10 Oct. 1855.He was born on Kerrs Creek Botetourt Co VA . He married Anna Van Lear possible daughter of John Van Lear between 1809-1837and moved to KY in early 18xx.. Believed buried in Dyche Mem. Cem., London, Laurel Co KY.One known child Margaret Jane McKee.b 16 Mar 1822 in KY. Moved to Canada.
35. Malinda McKee was born about 1773 and died xxxx.
There are fourteen reported children of this Alexander (possible son of Robert B McKee) and Mary Bean McKee.All but the last were born in Orange Co NC.An Axex Mckee on VA Tithable Role in 1781 It appears that Alexander and Mary moved to TN about 1799. There was an Alex Mckee removed from Va Tax Roll in 1802 Their noted children are as follows:
36. John McKee born about 1771 in Orange Co NC .He died about 183x in Maury Co TN.
37. Jesse McKee was born about 1773 in Orange Co NC and died xxx.
38. Mary McKee Born about 1774 in Orange Co NC and died xxx in Maury Co TN.
39. William McKee born on 15 Mar 1777 in Orange Co NC and died 29 April at Farmington , Marshall Co TN.
40. Alexander McKee born about 1781 in Orange Co NC.
41. Jacob McKee was born on 29 Aug 1782 in Orange Co NC and died 28 Sept 1818 in Maury Co Tn.
42. Sarah W. Mckee born about 1783 in Orange Co NC.
43. Nancy McKee was born about 1787 in Orange Co NC.
44. Catherine McKee born 19 Oct 1787 in Orange Co NC and died about 182x in Maury Co TN.
45. Thomas Melvin McKee was born 23 Feb 1790 and died 28 July in Orange Co NC.
46. Elizabeth McKee was born about 1792 in Orange Co. NC and died about 1824.
47.James McKee was born about 1797 in Orange Co NC.
48. Samuel McKee was born abt 1801 in Sumner Co TN and died in May,1838 in TN.
The known children of James Logan McKee ( son of John & Jane Logan)and Janet Telford are:
49. John Telford McKee. He was born 14 Apl 1783 and died 30 Apl 1857.He married Nancy Hannah 18 Nov 1806. Nancy died 23 Apl 1847 They had four known children ( Jane T., Samuel W, Martha H. And Mary S.N.B. All the follow on children are outlined in George Wilson McKee book on Virginia & Kentucky McKees.)
The known children of the marriage of James Logan and widow Mrs Nancy Scott are:
50. James Telford McKee born about 1807.He later married xxx Parry
51. Samuel W. McKee born about 1803 and died about 1883. He married Polly Ann Davidson on 20 Aug 1834 and they had nine children between 1835-1953. Polly Ann died 23 Jan 1860
52. Martha H McKee born about 1811 and married Madison Dunlap
53. Mary S. McKee born about 1815
The known children of David McKee and Ann Dunlap Mckee include:
54. John born about 1790.He died in Rush Co IN. He married Sarah Ann Platt on 14 Feb 1809.
55. Mary (Polly) born about 1793 and died after 1813. She married Elijah Blanton on 16 Sep 1813 in Jessamine Co KY
56. Robert born 12 Jan 1795 and died 8 Jul 1849 in Madison Co IL He married (1) Letitia McKee, cousin, on 11 Feb 1817 shortly after moving to IL. and (2) Nancy Tabor on 19 Mar 1832 in IL. Had five children by first wife and six children by second wife.
57. David Jr born about 1795 and died after 1821 in Woodford KY He marr Mariah Payton on 27 Sep 1821
58. Miriam was born about 1797 and died after 1870
59. Jane Logan was born about 1802 and died after 1822 She married Robert McPhetes on 14 Mar 1822
60. James was born about 1803 and died after 1870
61. Ann was born about 1805
62. Margaret (Pegg) was born about 1807 and died after 1827. She Married John S. McMurtry on 20 Apl 1827
63. Nancy L. was born about 1809 and died after 1829. She married Richard Blackwell on 11 Nov 1829.
The seven known children, (possibly two other children died prior to 1760?), of James McKee and Lydia Todd are:
64. Alice McKee born Aug 1753 and died 10 Aug 1835.She married William McQuiddy in KY. Second child noted in her father James will to receive cash.
65. William McKee born about 1760? and died about xxx. He married on 26 May 1795 to Nancy Gordon in Herrodsburg, Mercer Co KY. First note in farther James McKee LW&T to receive old plantation on Mill Ck.
66. Samuel McKee born 3 Jul 1764 in Augusta Co VA and died 3-6 Jun1842 in Montgomery Co KY.He married Elizabeth (Betsy) Lowry in 1791and had twelve children in Mt Sterling KY.Samuel served in Continental Army from 1780, was at the Yorktown Battle surrender. Served against Indians in 1782 on KY Frontier. Later received service related pension. Fifth noted in fathers will.
67. John Born 9 Sep1766 (possible twin of Robert)and died about 1807.It is possible that John had an earlier marriage on 31 Dec 1795 to xxx Lusk or Mary Ann Kinkead in Herrodsburg KY.Also believed to have married Jenny Berry in Frederick Co VA on 9 Nov, 1797.They supposed had eight or nine children.Given land and house to be built on Mill Ck by fathers will.
68. Robert Todd McKee born 9 Sep1766 (possible twin of John) and died 16 Dec 1837. He married Mary Todd on 2 Dec 1791 in Harrodsburg. Under age at time of father deatj.
69. Martha McKee born about 1762 and died about xxx, It seems that Martha did not marry. Third child noted in father James will for cash
70. Mary (Polly) McKee born about 1774 and died about xxxx.She married on 19 Feb 1795 to James McMurtry, inMercer Co KY where they had three children.Appears that Polly died about 1799 as James remarried in 1800 in KY and had three children after 1800. Mary was fourth noted in fathers will for cash.
Samuel W. McKee and Mary (Polly) Ann Davidson McKee had six known children in VA including :
71. Nancy Hannah born 4 Sep 1835
72. Mary (Polly) botn 18 Sep 1837
73. Lucinda born 4 Oct 1839
74. John T. born 21 Oct 1841
75. Martha Davidson born 6 Oct 1843
76. Sally Gilmore born 11 Sept 1845
77. James Gilmore born 15 Jun 1848
78. Elizabeth Samnella born 5 June 1850
79. Samuel Madison born 4 May 1853
Samuel McKee and Martha Robertson had four known children in Kentucky
80. William R. Mckee born 29 Sep 1808 and killed in Sp Am War on 23 Feb 1847. Married on 27 Apl 1836 to Jane Wilson
81. George R. McKee born 27 May 1810
82, Alexander R. McKee born 4 Feb 1816
83. Jane Logan McKee born 23 Aug 1818
James McKee and Mary Clelland Lapsley McKee had seven known children
84. Miriam McConnell born 7 Jul 1819
85. Mary Charlotte born 1 Apl 1822
86. Margaret Jane born 10 Oct 1824
87. John Lapsley born 16 Feb 1827, died xxx 1902.Married Sarah Henry Speake on 11 Apl 1850. They had nine children.He was possible minister in Harrodsburg KY about 1885
88. James Finley born 28 Feb 1830
89. Samuel born 10 Nov 1832
90. Martha Elizabeth born 17 Oct 1836
John and Sarah Anna Platt had seven Known children incuding:
91. David E. Born 10 Feb 1810 and died 11 Oct 1884
92. Mary Ann born about 1813
93. Henry Platt born 1 Oct 1813 and died 6 Mar 1832
94. John F. Born 10 Mqar 1816 and died 10 Nov 1871
95. Samuel born 2 Jul 1818 and
96. Robert born about 1821 and died about 1865
97. James born about 1823 and died ablut 1863
Samuel McKee and Betsey Lowry McKee had twelve known children including:
98. Nancy, born 23 Dec 1792 and died 23 Aug 1864, Married Samuel Chorn on 1 Aug 1820
99. John Born 29 Sep 1794 and died 29 Aug 1877, Married Rachel Ellsberry
100. James born 4 Sep 1796 and died 23 Dec 1860, Married on 10 Nov, 1822 to Sarah (Sally) Wilkerson (b 23 Jul.1804-d 21 Jul 1884) Had twelve children in Montgomery Co KY.This James was a senator in Ky Legislator.
101. David born 15 Dec 1798 and died 4 July 1871, Married Elizabeth Tompson
102. Samuel born 22 Nov 1800 and died 6 Feb 1801 as infant
103. Mary (Polly) born 14 Jan 1802 and died xxx1876, Married xxx Redman
104. William born 21 Feb 1804 and died 2 Oct 1875, Married Lucinda Yeates
105. Melvin, born 26 June 1806 and died 7 Nov 1874, Married Mary B. McAdow
106. Jane, born 9 Feb 1807 and died 15 Feb 1819 at age twelve
107. Eliza born 17 Jan 1812 and died 3 Aug 1813 at one year
108. Sally born 10 Apl 1815 and died 20 Sep 1896, Married John Ragland
109. Elvira Born 1 Sep 1818 and died 9 Jan 1884, Marred Covington Dix
Robert Todd McKee and Mary Todd McKee (cousin) had six known children in KY
110. James born 21 Oct 1792
111. John Todd born 22 Dec 1796
112. Polly born 19 Apl 1799
113. William born 9 Jun 1803
114. Joheph Howe born 27 Sep 1805
115. David Todd born 12 Oct 1807
NOTES RELATED TO ABOVE
A.The primary sources of data on these McKeeswere taken from:
1. “The McKees of Virginia and Kentucky”, by George Wilson McKee , originally published about 1890.This version is available on line and can be copied.There are several accounts from direct living McKees who had family information.There is a revised edition by A. Patricia McKee Bauer published about 1994 that seems to be out of print at this time.
2. “ A History of Rockbridge County Virginia” by Oren F. Morton published about 1919.This book is available on line by Google and can be downloaded and printed.There is a full hard copy reprint available from Heritage Books.There are about fifty out of 574 pages that note McKee, includingmany detailed notes.
3.”Kentucky- A History of the State” by Perrin, Battle and Kniffin, originally published in 1888 is available byGoogle on line and can be copied for personal use. This is a big volume of 1101 pages with a few references to McKee
4. “Chronicles of Border Warfare–“ by Alexander S. Wither published about 1912.This book is available by Google on line and can be copied.Covers the actions ofCapt. William McKee at battle of Point Pleasant.He was post Commander Later commissioned a full Colonel in Virginia Militia
5.“History of Pittsburgh and Environs - three volumes” by George Thornton Fleming .Notes on Thomas McKee father of Alexander ana David McKee Torys at Pittsburgh.A local census of 1760 includes a John McKee
6.“Egles Notes and Queries of Pennsylvannia, 1700-1800.Twelve volumes on one CD by Genealogical Pub has many notes on PA McKees emphasis on Thomas McKee Indian Trader and son Alexander McKee, Tory.
7. Numerous posting by McKee researchers, and family historians on many web sites. All add to the web of McKees
B.Regarding Generation One.I have shown Alexander William McKee and Miriam Brown as the head of this line over other names as the dates and follow-on family names are a close match.
I have listed six children for Alex and Miriambut the references used cover three and note two brothers as staying in PA.Passenger lists or PA tax lists that match these McKees as a group yet to be found. If there was a Jean McKee, she likly did not come to America.“PA - Queries and Quotes”by Egle on a CD may have notes on this family.
C.Regarding Generation Two.Pioneer Robert B. McKee, and pioneer John McKee are well documented.William McKee who came later to Rockbridge is not well documented other than the father of James McKee who married Lydia Todd.All were born in Ireland.
There is a record of a Thomas McKee, Indian Trader from Lancaster Co PAand his Tory son Alexander McKee as being at Ft Pitt. (Later Pittsburgh).Also there were early McKee in the Wheeling WVA area.
D.Regarding Generation Three.The three known sons of VA pioneer Robert and Agnes McKee are fairlywell defined.William McKee, Colonel in Virginia Militia is well documented as a force in early western Virginia history and the focus of reference Num. 1 above. Of the Thirteen (or fourteen) children by Miriam, only eight survived to adulthood.John James McKee and Esther Houston McKee are not well documented.There are numerous early Alexander McKees in several states to be sorted.That an Alexander and Mary McKee moved about 1801from Orange County NC to Maury TN where they had possibly twelve children, there is little doubt.Is this the McKee brotherwho came south from VA into NC and married Mary Bean?
James McKee is the known son of VA pioneer William McKee.His marriage to Lydia Todd is well covered by the Todd line.
E.Regarding Generation Four. The families of these McKees are not completely defined with this post and need more follow-on to go to generation five and beyond.