Title: Annals of southwestern Pennsylvania, by Lewis Clark Walkinshaw ... Vol. 1.
Author: Walkinshaw, Lewis Clark.
“CAPTAIN THOMAS McKEE was a trader who did some military measuring for the Province, in company with John Carson and William West at Logstown in 1752.He later became a major in Colonel Cadwallader’s 4th Battalion in the Revoluntionary War.His son, CAPTAIN ALEXANDER McKEE, was a well-known officer at Fort Pitt, and went over to the British later, taking a great many Indians with him.”
“It was most likely Guyasuta who led the Indians at the battle of Loyalhanna.He attended the conference at Fort Pitt, July 5, 1759, between George Croghan, Colonel Hugh Mercer, Captain William Trent, and THOMAS McKEE, and the representatives of the Six Nations, Delawares, Shawnees, Wyandots, and others, when the Easton Treaty of October, 1758, was confirmed.”
“Chapter XXIV - Bedford County Erected
Cumberland County had been erected out of the western portion of Lancaster County on January 27, 1750, with its county seat first at Shippensburg, and later at Carlisle.By their Indian purchase (pg. 353) 1758, the Penns had added an additional portion of Indian lands as far West as the Allegheny mountains, which included Fort Bedford and its adjacent town.Among the earlier application for lands after the purchase of 1768 were the following:
February 9, 1769 - John Montgomery and Alexander Stewart, 1,000 acres on the north side of Kiskiminetas Creek, including the mouth of Black Log Creek and Black Log (Black Legs) Town; and an additonal 1,000 acres of the southside below the mouth of Black Log. Creek.
February 14, 1769-ALEXANDER McKEE, five hundred acres on the south side of the Ohio, below Fort Pitt, at the mouth of Chartiers Creek, including an improvement made by him....
April 1, 1769-AENEAS MACKEY, three hundred acres situate at a place called “Dirty Camp,” on both sides of the Turtle Creek, on the road from Ligonier to Fort Pitt upon which he had made great improvements by virtue of a permission from Lieutenant-Colonel Reid, commanding officer at Fort Pitt.”
“The township is the first form of local democracy in Pennsylvania.The down town portion of Pittsburgh was in later years called the “Township of Pittsburgh,” before it was ever incorporated into a borough.One of the first official actions of the court at Bedford in 1771 was to divide the county into townships.The court used the (pg. 364) natural boundaries of the mountains, the streams and the great roads and paths, and with a view to accommodate the segregated settlers in their pioneer communities.The good sense of Justice Arthur St. Clair, of the Ligonier Valley; Robert Hanna, of Hannastown on the Forbes Road; George Wilson and Thomas Gist, of the Redstone country; William Crawford, of the Youghiogheny Valley; Dorsey Pentecost, in the Forks of the Yough, and ALEXANDER McKEE, of Fort Pitt, is quite manifest in the action of the court.”
pg. 395 The Body Politic
“Armstrong Township was the largest one in area, having the crest of the Chestnut Ridge as its line to the eastward, the Loyalhanna, the Kiskiminetas, and the Allegheny as its natural water boundary southward and westward, and the purchase line on the north.Out of it was later carved the Derry settlement, which was south of the Conemaugh, but it contained few early adventurers north of that stream, due to its predomominence as “Indian country.” This list represents those who were nearest to the northerly Indians, who made their incursions hither:
(long list of names that includes some of these people: pg. 395...
THOMAS ANDERSON, JAMES BAIRD, MOSES BEARD, THOMAS BEARD, CHARLES BEARD, JAMES CAMPBELL, CHARLES CAMPBELL, SAMUEL CRAIG, JOSEPH CAMPBELL, ARTHUR DENNISTON, ALEXANDER JOHNSTON, JOHN MONTGOMERY, JOHN POMEROY,MOSES STEWART, THOMAS TAYLOR, JAMES WILSONand others
In the above list of Beford County there is THOMAS ANDERSON, outstanding patriot, who came over in Admiral Boscawen’s fleet, fought at Quebec, and lived to the ripe age of one hundred three years, after a service in the Revolution; JAMES BAIRD, later founder of Bairdstown; COLONEL CHARLES CAMPBELL, of Campbell’s Mills, who was county lieutenant and the builder of Campbell’s Mills; LIEUTENANT SAMUEL CRAIG, who later lost his life at the hands of Indians as he was on the way to Fort Ligonier for salt; ARTHUR DENNISTON, who built an early mill on the Loyalhanna, and started the New Alexandria community; COLONEL JOHN POMEROY, fort-builder and a justice at Hannastown; and RICHARD WALLACE (WELLIS), for whom the haven of refuge, Fort WALLACE, was named; and others.
Mt. Pleasant Township lay west of the Chestnut Ridge and south of the Loyalhanna, and had as its western line a rather irregular line, extending up Crabtree Creek, through the ancient Crabtree Bottoms of the trader days, and across to the Braddock Road near the present town of Mt. Pleasant.Many pioneers who later gained prominence in military affairs, and in legal life, had come by the Forbes Road, which bisected the township, as the following list shows:
includes some of these men:
WILLIAM ANDERSON, GEORGE BEARD, JOHN BEARD, JOSIAH CAMPBELL, JOSEPH CAMPBELL, JOHN JACK, JOHN LUDWICK, JOHN McCULLOUGH, JOHN McCLURE, JOHN McKEE, WILLIAM ROBESON, WILLIAM STEWART, WILLIAM THOMPSON, SAMUEL WILSON, DAVID WHITE, MOSES WHITE, JOHN WHITE
Hempfield Township was perhaps the most populous, because it was along the Forbes Road, and many early settlers kept close to this main thoroughfare.This list contains a great lot of interesting pioneers:
includes: SAMUEL McKEE, DAVID McKEE, ROBERT McKEE, THOMAS McKEE
up to pg. 401
“In this list of first citizens we find Captain Wendall Oury, in charge of Fort Bedford when Colonel Bouquet was at Bushy Run in 1763.Here also is Eli Coulter, of Washington’s camp on the Forbes Road; Andrew Byerly, of Bushy Run fame; Joseph Erwin, innerkeeper at Hannastown; Michael Rugh, of Rugh’s Blockhouse; Adam Samm, of Brush Creek; CAPTAIN DAVID McKEE and his family south of Hannastown; Lieutenant John Craig, of Shields Fort; Patrick Campbell, pioneer of the Clapham settlement; Henry Huffman, north of Jacobs Creek; John Carnahan, of Carnahan’s Blockhouse, and many other prominent in the building up of the western frontier, and in the severe struggle of the Revolution about to begin.”