Title: Annals of southwestern Pennsylvania, by Lewis Clark Walkinshaw ... Vol. 2. Author: Walkinshaw, Lewis Clark.
pg. 25 = Under the Court Functions at Hannastown
The October session of the Quarter Sessions Court, over which Justice Gist, son of the famous Colonel Christopher Gist, presided at Hannastown, was a decidedly important one...
These Provincial neighbors accommodated each other in the entry of bail.Samuel Temple, the Pittsburgh innkeeper, entered (pg. 26) bond for Major Edward Ward in the sum of (symbol looks like a written L that is crossed in the middle) 200, conditioned that the Major would answer an indictment against him in the Supreme Court at Philadelphia.Other defendants were accommodated by Andrew Linn, Joseph Irwin, SAMUEL McKEE, William Teagarden, Robert Laughlin, John Boyd and Arthur St. Clair, all of them landowners.”
pg. 79 - Under the Three Virginia Counties
“There were many ferries up and down the Monongahela, and the pioneers (like the Parkinsons at the mouth of Pidgeon Creek, Paul Froman at the mouth of Mingo Creek, where he had a mill, Dorsey Pentecost with his mill on Chartiers Creek, and DAVID McKEE at the mouth of the Youghiogheny), were eager to secure ferry rights, which had to be approved by the court.”
pg. 291 “...The horses and oxen were taken overland through Washington and down to the mouth of Buffalo Creek on the Ohio, where they were loaded on the (pg. 292) boats a few days later.General Putnam then placed these entries in his dairy: “Tuesday, April 1.45 minutes one o’clock we left Summrell’s Ferry and falling down 6 mile took in one tun of hay and proceeded to Mr. Gee (McKEE’S at McKEESPORT) ferry where we arrived at 9 o’clock same.April 2.Got under way at 4 o’clock in the morning and arrived at Pittsburgh about 8 a. m.Left Pittsburgh at 2 o’clock p. m.Passed great Beaver Creek at 8 in the evening.”
pg. 393 Under Beaver County “It is interesting to note how the falls of the Beaver River and the fertile fields along the Ohio River attracted pioneers.The famed JOHN McKEE, of McKeesport, became an early landowner at present Fallstone.He bought his land opposite the blockhouse which stood on the other side of the river.McKEE did not stay long, for he sold his land to DAVID TOWNSEND on June 19, 1799, and left the community.The town of Fallston was incorporated in 1829.”