See:Davis, Ephraim, A Genealogical Register ofEarly Palmer Families Preceded by a Description of the Original Lots and After Divisions(Town of Palmer, 1889), on-line at http://www.usigs.org/library/books/ma/Palmer1889/palm585Families.txthttp://www.usigs.org/library/books/ma/Palmer1889/palm585Families.txt.
1. William McMichel.He married Margaret Smith, (daughter of Robert Smith). William McMichel (McMitchell,McMighill, McMihill) was a grantee of Palmer, MA , along with his father-in-law Robert Smith, Sr.He located west of Robert Smith.His farm was a portion of the grant earlier made to Col Pattridge, as well as lands on John Thomson's right and the east side of Patrick Smith's grant.He came to this country from Ireland, where he married Margaret Smith.(Gates, Ephraim.A Genealogical Register of Palmer Families, 1889).
+ 2. i Joseph McMichel.
3. ii William McMichel, d. 14 Dec 1759 in Palmer, Hampden, MA?.
+ 4. iii Robert McMichel b. 25 Apr 1745.
5. iv Margaret McMichel, b. 15 Jun 1733 in Palmer, Hampden, MA.1She married Thomas McClanathan, Jr., 1756,1 (son of Thomas McClanathan).
6. v Patrick McMichel.
2. Joseph McMichel, (1.William1). He married Thankful _____.Joseph died 7 Dec 1759 in Palmer, Hampden, MA?.1
7. i John McMichel, b. 9 Aug 1758 in Palmer, Hampden, MA?.1
4. Robert McMichel, (1.William1) b. 25 Apr 1745 in Palmer, Hampden, MA.He married Sarah Cummings, aft 25 Apr 1772 in Palmer, Hampden, MA,b. est 1748 in Ware, Hampshire, MA?, d. in Palmer, Hampden, MA?.Robert died in Palmer, Hampden, MA?.
Name variations:Michil, Michill, Mitchel, Mitchil, Mitchill, Mytchall.
Sarah Comins (Cumings) was "of Wair", MA (Palmer Vital Records, page 113).Name variations:Comens, Commins, Cuming, Cumings, Cummings.Was Sarah the daughter of or related to Jacob Cummings of Palmer?
8. i Benjamin McMichel, b. 8 May 1773 in Palmer, Hampden, MA.He married Frances Brown.
9. ii Asahel McMichel, b. 6 May 1775 in Palmer, Hampden, MA,3 d. 20 Apr 1784 in Palmer, Hampden, MA.
10. iii Joseph Mitchell, b. 7 Jun 1778 in Palmer, Hampden, MA,3 d. 7 Dec 1759 in Palmer, Hampden, MA.
11. iv Metildy McMichel, b. 17 Oct 1779 in Palmer, Hampden, MA.3She married Levi Rice, aft 20 Jan 1805 in Palmer, Hampden, MA.2
12. v Sarah McMichel, b. 26 May 1781 in Palmer, Hampden, MA.3
+ 13. vi Robert McMichel b. 15 Feb 1783.
14. vii Annie McMichel, b. 12 Jul 1785 in Palmer, Hampden, MA.3
15. viii Pegey McMichel, b. 20 Mar 1789 in Palmer, Hampden, MA.3She married Ebenezer Harvey.
16. ix Asahel or Azel McMichel, b. 14 Feb 1790 in Palmer, Hampden, MA.3
13. Robert McMichel, (4.Robert2, 1.William1) b. 15 Feb 1783 in Palmer, Hampden, MA.3He married Susannah Wheelock, int 1 Feb 1806 in Palmer, Hampden, MA,2 b. 11 Aug 1784 in Leverett, Franklin, MA,(daughter of John Wheelock and Sarah Willis) d. 13 Feb 1862 in Highgate, Franklin, VT.Robert died 29 Jul 1860 in Sheldon, Franklin, VT.Robert'sbirth is recorded under McMichel, as is his marriage, and the births of his two children in Palmer, MA.In the marriage record, his name is given as Robert McMichel Jr.
He was in Pawlet, Vermont by 1809, when Marcia was born.Her birth is recorded under Mitchell.I cannot find Robert McMichel or Mitchell in the 1810 census for Vermont, nor any Robert in Pawlet.
By 1820, the Mitchells were living in Highgate, VT, recorded as Mitchel.At that time, the family composition was 1 male under 10; 2 males 10-16 and 1 male 26-45; 3 females under 10; 1 female 10-16;and1 female 26-45.The Mitchells lived nearby to several Austin families.
In 1830, he was living in Highgate as Robert Mitchell.At that time, the family consisted of 1 male under 5; 1 male 5-10; 2 males 15-20, 1 male 20-30 and 1 male 40-50.The females were:1female 5-10; 2 females 10-15; 1 female 15-20; and one 40-50.There were no other Mitchells living in Highgate at that time.However, searching on Mitchell and Michael with soundex searches does not reveal others of that name in Highgate.Adolphus Mitchell and Joseph Mitchell lived in Sheldon.
Again in 1840, the Mitchells were living in Highgate, this time listed as Robert Michael.In the home were 1 male 10-15; 1 male 15-20; 1 male 50-60; 2 female 15-20; 1 female 20-30 and 1 female 50-60.By this time, some of their children has presumably established their own households.
In 1850, the family was living in Sheldon, listed as Robert Mitchael.Only Robert, age 57 (67?) and Susannah, age 66 were in the home. Both were born in Massachusetts.
Apparently Robert and Susannah had a number of children whose birth records have not been found.
Robert's death is also recorded as Mitchell.He died at age 77, 5, 14.
Susannah was "of Leverett", MA at the time of her marriage. (Palmer Vital Records, page 192). (No Leverett VR at VHS.)Leveritt was formed from Sunderland, MA in 1774.
Since Susannah's calculated date of birth matches exactly with Susanna (she died at age 77, 6,2) , daughter of John Wheelock of Leverett, MA, I am concluding that they are one and the same person.
17. i Elmira McMichel, b. 6 Mar 1809 in Palmer, Hampden, MA.3
18. ii Adolphus Dickinson McMichel, b. 17 Mar 1811 in Palmer, Hampden, MA.3
+ 19. iii Marcia Mitchell b. 6 Jan 1819 in Pawlet, Rutland, VT.7She married Sylvester Austin, b. 27 Mar 1815 in Colchester, Chittenden, VT,7 (son of Timothy Seymour Austin and Abigail Crandall) d. 25 Feb 1891 in Sheldon, Franklin, VT.7Marcia died 31 Mar 1892 in Sheldon, Franklin, VT.7Marcia's name may have been Maria.Her date of birth is calculated