On Jan 28th, 1663/1664, John Straton & JEREMY MEACHEM (replacing Mr. Bond & Mr. Mulford) were appointed to a Committee from East Hampton, to join with similar committees from Southampton & Southold, for a purpose referred to back in a resolution dated Nov. 23rd 1663.That resolution reads:
"November 23th, (16)63. "At a towne meetinge Mr Backer Mr James Mr Mulford Mr Bond Mr Chatfild are chosen & impowred to Joyne wth Southampton & Southold Comitees to purchase the writings of Capt Scott: and if they see Cause to establish Lawes for setling a govrment amongst us and what our Comittee or the Major parte of them shall doe herein we ingage our selves to stand unto"
RECORDS OF THE TOWN OF EAST-HAMPTON, LONG ISLAND, SUFFOLK CO., N.Y., with other ANCIENT DOCUMENTS OF HISTORIC VALUE (published 1887 at Sag-Harbor, Long Island), p. 206 (Online at Ancestry.com)