Thanks for these latest details.I think that with these, together with what I have learned from what you have posted previously on the Meigs.org site (under the selections for Genealogy, Josiah Meigs, and Charles Delucena Meigs), I've been able to patch together a line, working backward.
I'm still looking to fill in some additional details.Reference numbers in parentheses are to your data base references, as I know them from the other portions of your website and your previously posted messages.If you have these other names charted with reference numbers, I'd appreciate getting the references via the message board.
I was starting with the four children of Montgomery Cunningham Meigs and his wife, Mary Matthews Meigs:
Elizabeth Leaming Meigs (b. 6-8-1879)
Montgomery Cunningham Meigs (b. 9-22-1881)
Emily Biddle Meigs (b. 9-8-1883)
James Matthews Meigs (b.7-19-1888 - d.November 1936)
I've learned that the last of these, James M. Meigs, died in November 1936 in Brooklyn, New York, and that he was survived at that time by his mother, Mary (probably resident in Lafayette, IN, or Romney, IN, at the time), by his sister Elizabeth Meigs, also of Brooklyn, by his other sister Emily B. Meigs, of Norfolk, VA, and by his brother Montgomery C. Meigs,of Memphis,TN.
Montgomery Cunningham Meigs, married to Mary Matthews Meigs, the father of the children listed above, was the third child of (399) Charles Delucena Meigs and his wife, Elizabeth Leaming Meigs, of Indianapolis, IN.
(399) Charles Delucena Meigs, married to Elizabeth Leaming Meigs, was the second child of ( 219) Charles Delucena Meigs and Mary Montgomery Meigs.
(219) Charles Delucena Meigs, married to Mary Montgomery Meigs, was the fifth child of (98) Josiah and Clara Benjamin Meigs.
(98) Josiah Meigs, married to Clara Benjamin Meigs, was the thirteenth child of (29) Return Meigs and his wife, identified on your web site in your Genealogy article (first six generations) as Elizabeth Hamlin and in your Josiah Meigs article as Jabez Hamlin.
(29) Return Meigs, married to either Elizabeth or Jabez Hamlin, was the fifth child of (12) Janna Meigs, married to Hannah (Hosmer) Willard Meigs.
(12) Janna Meigs, married to Hannah Willard Meigs, was the third child of (8) John Meigs, married to Sarah Wilcoxson.
(8) John Meigs, married to Sarah Wilcoxson, was the fourth child of (3) John Meigs and an as yet unidentified wife, according to your Genealogy article.
(3) John Meigs was the third child of (1) Vincent Meigs and his wife, Thomasine Frye Meigs.
(1) Vincent was the first Meigs of the linein America as identified in your Genealogy article.
I hope I have this right.I have rechecked it against what you have posted to date.
You may already have this information, but I've also learned that (404) William Montgomery Meigs was married to a woman whose first name was Jerusha and that they had at least four children, at least three girls and one boy.One was Mary, born in Romney,IN.The family apparently moved to Lafayette, IN from Romney sometime in the late 19th century and resided at 222 South Ninth Street in Lafayette.Mary Meigs died in Lafayette,reportedly from influenza which turned into rheumatic fever, in February 1923. I don't know her age at time of death at this point.
Thanks again very much for your help to date.Hope to fill in the remaining blanks.