ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION
J. A. MAGOUN
Though a native of the old Bay state, the interests of John A. Magoun,
president of the Sioux National Bank of Sioux City, former treasurer of Woodbury
county, a former member of the common council of Sioux City, president of the
Missouri River Bridge Company and identified in an administrative capacity
with numerous commercial and industrial enterprises here, for many years one of
the most active and influential personal factors in the development of the
varied interests of his home town, have centered here since the days of his
childhood and he thus regards himself as much an Iowan as though indeed native
and "to the manner born." Mr. Magoun was born in Somerville, an important
suburb of the city of Boston, in Middlesex county, Massachusetts, August 21,
1861, and is a son of John A. and Ella C. (Woodbury) Magoun, both of whom were born at Meford, Massachusetts, and were members of old New England families, both the Magouns and the Woodburys having been represented in Massachusetts since colonial days. John A. Magroun, Sr., came west in 1863 and after looking over the then rapidly developing section of northwestern Iowa established a dairy business in Sioux City. Three years later, in 1866, he moved his family here, established his home in Sioux City and became a prominent factor in the development of the dairy industry throughout this section of the country.
John A. Magoun, Jr., was but five years of age when in 1866 he came to Iowa
with his parents and he has since been a resident of Sioux City, "growing up"
with the place, an active promoter of its interests since the days of his
youth as one of the real leaders in the general social, civic, commercial and
industrial life of the city. In 1878, when in his seventeenth year, Mr.
Magoun was graduated from the Sioux City high school. For a year thereafter he
was employed as a clerk in the office of D. H. Talbot, a local broker in land
warrents, and then transferred his services to the local offices of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Company, where he remained for eighteen months, during which time he was advanced to the position of cashier in the railroad office. It was in 1881 that Mr. Magoun had his initial experience in banking, a line that for a period of forty-five years has engrossed the greater part of his time and attention. He left the railroad office to become a
clerk in the local bank that through various organizations has come to be the Sioux National Bank, of which he is the executive head. For ten years and more, that important formative period of his life when he was inhis "twenties," Mr. Magoun continued this clerical connection with the bank, meanwhile taking an intelligent and enthusiastic interest in general local affairs and becoming recognized as one of the leaders in the junior ranks of the republican
party in Woodbury county. In 1892 he was elected treasurer of that county, being then but thirty-one years of age. So satisfactorily did he administer the affairs of this office that by successive reelections he was retained in that
position of high trust and responsibility for ten years.
On his retirement as treasurer, Mr. Magoun was elected cashier of the
Northwestern National Bank of Sioux City and in 1908 was elected president. When in 1920 a reorganization was effected in this old banking institution and the name changed to the Sioux National Bank he was continued as president and is still serving in that executive capacity, one of the real veterans in the banking business in northwestern Iowa. The Sioux National Bank has paid up
capital of four hundred thousand dollars, resources aggregating six million dollars, a statement which ranks it with the most substantial banking institutions in the northwest. In addition to banking Mr. Magoun has other substantial interests in and about Sioux City, indicated by his position as president of the Missouri River Bridge Company, treasurer of the Terminal Grain Corporation,
treasurer of the Artificial Ice Company and treasurer of the National Wood Works of Sioux City. He also is a member of the directorates of various other corporations of a commercial and industrial character, and is a prudent,
conservative financier whose labors in behalf of the development of the varied interests of his home town will be better estimated in the next generation. For one term (1892-93) he rendered further public service as the
representative from his ward in the city council and during the time of this country's participation in the World war he served as a member of the exemption board in the operations of the selective service board in Woodbury county. He has ever taken an interested and helpful part in the general social and cultural activities of his home town and is a member of several of the leading clubs in Sioux City, including that interesting organization, The Junior Pioneers. Mr. Magoun is a Mason of many years standing and of the highest attainable degree, his many services in behalf of the extension of the interests of this ancient
order having been recognized by that body when in 1922 he was honored by election to the supreme council (thirty-third degree) of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite of the southern Masonic jurisdiction. His basic connection with
Freemasonry is through Landmark Lodge, No. 103, at Sioux City and he also is a member of the local Royal Arch Chapter and Columbian Commandary, No. 18, Knights Templar. His Scottish Rite connection is through the consistory at Sioux City and he also is a Noble of the Mystic Shrine, affiliated with Abu-Bekr Temple. He also is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
In 1887 John A. Magoun was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth A. Moore of
Sioux City and of the five children born to this union four survive, namely:
Dr. Charles E. Magoun, a physician of Sioux City; Carlton M., cashier of the
Sioux National Bank; Helen M., wife of B. S. Michael of Sioux City; and
George, engaged in the practice of law at Sioux City.