My brain’s going mad trying to work out these Moorhouses
Some points: 1) Jane (Moorhouse) Cork, married a second time to James Stead.They had a daughter Sarah Jane.
2) Sarah Jane married Christopher Hall and they came to Tasmania in 1833.
3) James Moorhouse, Bishop of Melbourne then Manchester, was Sarah Jane’s cousin.I know this from family stories, but ones that are backed up with photos and other evidence.Otherwise I’d include it in my ‘big stories’ file.
4) Bishop Moorhouse was the son of James Moorhouse, master culter of Sheffield.His father’s mother was Mary Sefton.Bishop Moorhouse once wrote: 'My father's mother, Mary, née Sefton, was of the elder branch of Lord Sefton's family, whose pedigree dates back before the Conquest to Saxon times'.
5) The only Mary Sefton/Moorhouse marriage I can locate is the Pontefract one that you mention.
6) Do you think that Mary and William’s son James may have chosen to stay.Are there any records of him in the materials you have?
7) Sarah Jane and Christopher Hall’s son, James Henry, lived for some time in NZ.There are photographs of him taken in Hokitika.
8) Sarah Jane and Christopher Hall’s grandson, Christopher, also lived for some time in NZ.Perhaps in the Invercargill area.
I wonder if there’s some link here.I’ve got a suspicion that there might be.Any ideas?I’d very much appreciate any suggestions you could make.