Sarah Murdock (1813 Bedford Co VA-) was the dau of Elijah G Murduck and Polly Dallis. She m John Brown 16Jun1842 at Montgomery Co VA.
Elijah G Murduck (1785-12May1866 Montgomery Co VA) is thought to be the son of Joseph Murdock. He was a sergeant in Capt Mark Anthony's Co of VA Militia during the War of 1812: his pension application described him as 6'2", hair black, eyes blue, 170 lbs. He lived at Craddock Creek in Bedford Co VA, in 1832 moved to Wythe Co VA, and in 1835 moved to Montgomery Co VA where he purchased land at Bradshaw Creek and Ingles Mill Creek. The family was Presbyterian. He m 1) Polly Dallis, and all their children were born in Bedford Co VA: Gilbert (1806- Salem, Catawba Township, Roanoke VA) m 1) Charlotte Crouch, 2) Anne Harman and 3) Sarah Peas Elizabeth (1807-) m Solomon J B Stevens Joseph m Mahala M Adams Sarah (5Sep1813-) m John Brown William A (1814-) m Elizabeth Wrightsman Wiley Jones (1817-) m Mary Martin Jurden (1819-) m Eliza Jane Carder Elijah (1821-) m Rebecca Wrightsman
Elijah G Sr m 2) Louisa M Brown 4Mar1852 at Montgomery CoVA. She collected a War of 1812 widow's pension of $12 per month until her death in 1903. Their children were born in Montgomery Co VA, but after Elijah's death she and the children resettled in Fayette Co WV: John Calvin (4Sep1853-17Mar1927) m Mary J Peas Louisa Jane (15Sep1857-) m William M Richardson
Elijah's signature is found in his War of 1812 pension application papers and his son Jurden's is found in Louisa's application for a widow's pension. Each signed his surname as "Murduck". All county records use "Murdock". Elijah's middle initial "G" is per court records of 1862 when he gave security for Jordan Murdock to be executor of John Brown's will.
Joseph Murdock and his children moved from Frederick Co VA to Bedford Co VA. He was on the 1797 tax list for Bedford Co VA. His children were: Joseph (-Windsor Township, Lawrence Co OH) m 1) Rachiel Moore and 2) Elizabeth VanHorn Jemimah m 1) John McPherson William m 1) Elizabeth Read and 2) Elizabeth Bond Phoebe m Stephen McPherson Polly m John McPherson Elijah G (1785-12May1866 Montgomery Co VA) m 1) Polly Dallis and 2) Louisa M Brown
My greatgrandfather was William Philbert Brown (1845-1912), the son of John Brown and Sarah Murdock. His death certificate noted that he was buried in the Murdock graveyard in Montgomery Co VA. There was no Murdock cemetery listed in current Montgomery Co. Fellow researcher Leona Brown investigated, and with the cooperation of many people, learned that the graveyard had been moved to make room for a parking lot. The remains were removed to a common grave in Radford, in Montgomery Co. The marker reads "On this site are buried members of the Murdock family. They were placed here following removal from the family cemetery in Montgomery County Virginia on August 30, 1988".
Elijah G Murdock Sr's farm was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989, upon application of the Virginia Department of Historic Resources. It was removed from the list in 2001. The following information is taken from record 89001882 of the Register:
The farm was located in Montomery County VA, near the town of Yellow Sulphur Springs, 1/3 mile northeast of VA 643, and 1 mile north of the US 460 underpass. It was to the west of the mid-1850's Yellow Sulphur Turnpike in the hilly area along the crest of the New River Valley Plateau.
The dwelling house was composed of the original log pen and ell, and a late 19th century addition to the ell. The entire structure was sheathed in plain weatherboard. There was a cornice with returns in the gable end, two-over-two windows, two stone chimneys with brick upper flues, and two porches on the south and west sides.
The interior of the house had a large first-floor hall to the west, and an unheated parlor to the east. The hall had wainscoting with a molded chair rail and beaded baseboard, wallpaper, a pilastered mantel with projecting end blocks in the frieze, and a molded shelf. An enclosed stair rose from the parlor along the stud partition wall. The two-story ell incorporated a onestory log room separated from the main section by an enclosed breezeway. The wide chimney of the ell was of rubble stone.
The property had a fine collection of outbuildings to the west of the dwelling house, including a frame washhouse, a log doublepen corncrib with central drive-through, the stone foundations of a springhouse and a smokehouse, and a stone retaining wall for a small pond or basin.
The ground remained relatively undisturbed as of 1989.
Elijah's descendants sold the farm in 1947 to Eldridge H Blair, who sold it that year to Ralph Brookman. Ralph Brookman sold the farm in the 1970's to Montgomery County for the establishment of a landfill and recreation park, retaining life tenancy.
The farm was placed on the National Register of Historic Places because the National Park Service considered it an excellent example of a relatively undisturbed historic farmstead. The structures demonstrated the evolutionary change typical of farmhouses and their outbuildings in the region during most of the 19th century, and because it contained intact subsurface features relating to 19th century use.