Looking for ancestors of Charles Murphey possibly of West Virginia also possible connection to Thomas Murphey,Sr.,
Daniel J. Murphey, and Francis C. Murphey who are als mentioned below as residing in the same area. Also visit my
web site for further informaton on this Murphey family at:
1. CHARLES1 MURPHEY was born Bef. 1800. He married MARY BARRACK.
Notes for CHARLES MURPHEY:
Sources of information for the Murphey family are based on research and information gathered by George Dennis Murphey, Lynne Codding Murphey, Forrest L. Coling Jr., Beulah Oswalt Thompson, Don Coling, and Joseph Edward Eichar.
Spellings of the family name have been found as either Murphey or Murphy.
This text is copied from the Eichar Chronicles book copyright 1985 by Joseph Edward Eichar of Santa Rosa, CA. Most Murphey family related notes come from this book found in the possession of Kenneth Murphey and Bud Coling. Bud Coling was a collaborator for this book and passed this down to son Don Coling. For further Murphey family information and pictures, his web site can be accessed from my home page.
Charles Murphey is the first known Murphey of this family. Living near Keyser, Hampshire County, Virginia, which was the part of Virginia that later became West Virginia after 1863 in what is now known as Mineral County, West Virginia. His son Edmund's family lived there along with three other families of Murphey's. Charles Murphey could not be found on the 1840 Census for Hampshire County but his son Edmund was listed.
According to the 1850 census, this is where Charles' son Edmund settled and all the Murphey's listed were all in the same census district as son Edmund and all were born near Keyser, Virginia which is now present day Keyser, West Virginia.
As of 4/1/2001 the connection of the three following families has not yet been clearly established and are listed separately here.
1) Thomas Murphey Sr., farmer, b 1774; wife Jemina, b 1779; son Thomas Jr., b 1811; daughter Elizabeth, b 1805.
2) Daniel J. Murphey, farmer, b 1822; wife Nancy, b 1825; sons Edward, b 1845, Daniel, b 1847, Filmore, b 1848 and daughter Mary F. b 1850.
3) Francis C. Murphey, farmer b 1808; wife Sarah b 1813; children - Hannah C., b 1836, Sarah M., b 1837, Susan M., b 1840, Francis, b 1844, John William, b 1846, and Ann R., b 1849.
Child of CHARLES MURPHEY and MARY BARRACK is:
2. i.EDMOND2 MURPHEY, b. September 09, 1814, Maryland; d. March 16, 1872, Lafayette, Indiana.