A History of Uniontown: The County Seat of Fayette County, Pennsylvania
Author: Hadden, James, 1845-1923, Uniontown, PA
JAMES HADDEN – author of Washington's & Braddock's Expeditions
Akron, Ohio: Printed by the New Werner Co., 1913
OLD METHODIST EPISCOPAL CEMETERY
PETER STREET, UNIONTOWN, FAYETTE CO., PA
GREGG, ELI M., died June 5, 1866, age 62 yrs. 26 days pg. 643
GREGG, JAMES, died June 30, 1835, age 34 yrs. 8 mos. 17 days pg. 643
GREGG, JAMES, died April 25, 1810 age 53 pg. 643
GREGG, NACCA, died Nov. 11, 1847 age 87 pg. 643
GREGG, WILLIAM, died Jan. 23, 1828, age 33 yrs. 3 mos. 2 days pg. 643
JAMES GREGG, SR.
Died April 25, 1810 Fayette Co., PA.
Married NACCA MURPHY.
NACCA MURPHY, daughter of WILLIAM MURPHY & ANNA STEVENSON
Died Nov. 11, 1847 Fayette Co., PA.
JAMES & NACCA are buried at Old Methodist Cemetery, Uniontown, PA.
CHILDREN of JAMES & NACCA:
-NANCY GREGG STURGEON, b. 1793 Fayette Co., PA; d. Sept. 3, 1836 Fayette Co., PA; m. DANIEL STURGEON (b. Oct. 27, 1789 Mt. Pleasant, Adams Co., PA; d. July 3, 1878 Uniontown, PA; buried at Oak Grove Cemetery, Uniontown, PA); NANCY & DANIEL buried at Oak Grove Cemetery, Uniontown, PA; child WILLIAM H. STURGEON, b. Jan. 24, 1826; d. Oct. 15, 1900 Uniontown, PA; m. EMILY DAWSON and had a child JOHN D. STURGEON
-WILLIAM GREGG, b. Oct. 21, 1794 Fayette Co., PA; d. Jan. 23, 1828 Fayette Co., PA; buried at Old Methodist Cemetery, Uniontown, PA
-JAMES GREGG, b. Oct. 13, 1800; d. June 30, 1835 age 34 yrs. 8 mos. 17 days at Fayette Co., PA
-ELI M. GREGG, b. May 10, 1804 Fayette Co., PA; d. June 5, 1866 Fayette Co., PA; buried at Old Methodist Cemetery, Uniontown, PA
-JOHN GREGG, b. Jan. 22, 1807; d. Dec. 29, 1840 at age 33 yrs. 11 mos. 7 days; buried at Historic Presbyterian Public Cemetery, Uniontown, PA
JAMES GREGG received his first license at June sessions, 1798, and here he kept a tavern at the sign of the “Sorrel Horse” until his death, April 25, 1810, since which his widow continued the business for many years in her own name.
JAMES GREGG married NACCA MURPHY, the youngest child of MRS. ANN MURPHY, who came here and settled on the tract of land one and a half miles west of town, since known as the Henry Gaddis and County Home farms.NACCA GREGG died Nov. 11, 1847, at the age of 87 years and is buried in the old M. E. graveyard on Peter Street.
HONORABLE DANIEL STURGEON was married in 1814 to MISS NANCY GREGG, daughter of JAMES GREGG, who died of pulmonary consumption, Sept. 2, 1836, in the 42nd year of her age.DR. STURGEON was the father of four sons and one daughter.One son, JOHN STURGEON, was a lieutenant in Company H, Second Pennsylvania Volunteers, in the war with Mexico, and died of disease in the city of Pueblo, July 18, 1848. (pg. 187) DR. STURGEON erected on the eastern part of this lot a two story brick dwelling, among the occupants of which may be mentioned his son, DR. WILLIAM STURGEON, Henry R. Beeson, Samuel S. Austin, Esq., and Daniel F. Cooper.
Alfred Frost purchased this dwelling, June 25, 1889, from the heirs of DR. STURGEON, and after enlarging it to three stories, conducted it for some time as a public house, but being refused a license, he failed to meet his obligations, and the property was sold.
George F. Titlow opened “Hotel Titlow” in the Frost house, in 1898, where he continued until he secured the property on the west.
MISS MARY E. STURGEON, daughter of DR. STURGEON, continued to occupy the mansion house for some time after her father's death.
MRS. ANN MURPHY came from near Baltimore settled on a farm one mile west of town prior to 1785.
She was an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church to which she contributed generously of her means, and she made her home the stopping place of the traveling ministers of that denomination.
Her son, JACOB MURPHY, married a daughter of COLONEL ISAAC MEASON, the wealthy proprietor of the Mount Braddock farm, and settled on a farm near what is now Mount Braddock station.Her daughter, ANN, married SAMUEL STEVENS, and they were the parents of PRISCILLA, who became the wife of JOHN M. AUSTIN, a prominent member of the Fayette county bar.SALLIE married a MR. BANNING and moved to Ohio.RACHEL married REV. ROBERTS a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church and also moved to Ohio.NACCA, the youngest, married JAMES GREGG, the well-known tavern keeper of East Main Street.MRS. MURPHY, known as MOTHER MURPHY, died Sept. 10, 1814, aged 83 years and was buried in the old Methodist graveyard on Peter Street.
NACCA GREGG conveyed this property to Abner Greenland, July 15, 1819.