I would like to start a dialogue about the family and descendants of John Musgrave (b. 1771-1780) and his wife Ellen "Nellie" Steward (b. 1781-1790).They are said to have been in the Hardy & Mason Co., VA (now WV) area, relocated for a time in OH and then to Warren Co., IN, before 1830.There are accounts of the names of his children, not all the same.Building on this I have identified likely children.I welcome corrections, additions, and any thoughts about their descendants.Here is my list of his children:
1. Asa – b. abt 1804, Hardy Co., VA, d. betw. 1871-1879.Md. Mason Co., VA, 10 Sep 1829, Mary Yeager, dau of Nicholas and Magdalene Yeager, b. abt 1806.Named as a son of John and Ellen and as the only child who did not come West with the family.
2. Elisha – b. abt 1806, Hardy Co., VA, d. bef. 17 Feb 1859, prob. Warren Co., IN.Md. 1) Coshocton Co., OH, 1 Dec 1825, Annie Roberts; 2) Coshocton Co., OH, 23 Feb 1837, Martha Cartright, widow of Unknown Good, b. abt 1807, NJ.She married Warren Co., IN, 17 Feb 1859, John Landon.There was another Musgrave family of Coshocton family, and I have placed this Elisha with John’s family since he came to Warren Co., IN.
3. James – b. abt 1810, VA, alive in Warren Co., IN, 1860 census.Md.1) Warren Co., IN, 4 Nov 1838, Honor Harrison, who d. bef 1850, Warren Co., IN.Most of his children relocated to the area in KS settled by sister, Elizabeth Musgrave Cox.He is not the James Musgrove that marriedWarren Co.,21 Oct 1852, Nancy Morpew.
4. Huldah – b. 10 Aug 1811 (OH or VA)(calc. from gravestone), d. 22 Jul 1870, ae 58y11m12d, Lotts Creek Twp., Ringgold Co., IA.Md. Warren Co., IN, 15 Nov 1831, Richard Pittman, b. abt 1813, OH, d. 24 Nov 1880, ae 69y1m8d, Ringgold Co., IA.
5. Elenor – b. 6 Feb 1813, Mason Co., VA (now WV) (calc from gravestone), d. 7 May 1881, ae 68y3m1d, Burrell Twp., Decatur Co., IA.Md. Warren Co., IN, 23 Jan 1833, William Slaughter, d. 8 Aug 1813 (calc from gravestone) , OH, d. Burrell Twp., Decatur Co., IA, ae 49y1m9d.
6. Comfort – b. 10 Aug 1816, (calc from gravestone)VA or OH, d. 16 Mar 1883, ae 72y7m6d, Vermilion Co., IL, or Warren Co., IN.Md. Warren Co., IN, 27 Nov 1845, John Mains, b. abt 1816, OH, alive at the 1880 census.
7. Nancy – b. 18 Aug 1821, IN, d. 6 Apr 1847, Warren Co., IN.Married Warren Co., IN, 26 Mar 1840, Gerrett (or Jarret) Ford, son of William and Sarah (Yoakum) Ford, b. 3 Jan 1818, Ross Co., OH.She is said to have had a daughter, Mary Ford, b. abt Dec 1840.I cannot find a match in the 1850 census, incl. with Jarret, but in 1860 I do find a matching Mary Ford, ae 19, living in the Daniel C. Anderson household, Liberty Twp., Warren Co., IN.
8. Elizabeth – b. abt 1825, VA, d. 1883, KS or MO.Md. Warren Co., IN, 13 Mar 1846, Thomas B (or C) Cox, b. abt 1826, OH, d. 1906, MO.
9. Hiram – b. abt 1827, IN.Md. 1) Warren Co., 11 May 1850, Nancy E. Hendricks.He may be the Hiram Musgrave who md. 27 Aug 1857, Nancy O’Bryant, dau of Alfred O’Bryant and Nancy Elizabeth Shaw Ford, b. abt 1830, OH.
10. Martha Matilda – d. (prob) betw. 1848-1850, Warren Co., IN.Md. Warren Co., IN, 7 Sep 1845, Henry Hardy.Neither is found in the 1850 census.I believe the “John M. Hardesty” (1850 census) and “John M. Hardy” (1860 census) living with (aunt) Comfort Musgrave Mains is a child of this union.Further circumstantial evidence is that this man’s name was John Musgrave Hardy, and he lived in both Warren Co., IN, and neighboring Vermilion Co., IL.
11. John – named as a child in some accounts.No further information.