Samuel Wales  Niles (John 6, Lt. Nathl 5, John 4-3, Jos 2, John 1), born 22 Aug 1798 Orford NH, died 6 Dec 1843 Orford, and his wife Eunice Corliss Newell, born 4 Jan 1804 Mason NH, died Mar 1870 Woodstock IL. They had 12 children born at Orford. After Samuel's death Eunice moved to So. Reading MA and apprenticed her older sons to families in the area. Eunice married after 1850 Charles D. Ramsey, fifteen years her junior, and moved with him to Woodstock IL. Several older sons had some years earlier moved to GA before the Civil War. Others remained in MA. When war broke out they enlisted for GA and MA. All survived. The names (only) below were supplied by a descendant of theirs. The dates are mine from census and town records. Despite early family adversity and the turmoil of war they did well.
1. Carrie W. Niles b. 3 May 1823 d. 12 June 1890 Wakefield MA ? m (1) __Pilgrim (1850 USC Reading) m (2) c1855GA, Geo. E. White, M.D. Resided GA but was in MA at time of her death
2. Alanson Bailey Niles b. 1824 d. 16 Nov 1883 Atlanta GA m. Clifford Caroline Yopp b. c1824 Laurens Co GA d. 31 Mar 1920 Atlanta Ga "Bailey" a teacher/college president. Yopp family owned a large plantation in Laurens that was lost in the war.
3. Hannah S. Niles b. 21 Feb 1827 d. 4 Aug 1905 Wakefield MA m. c1848 Nathaniel Cowdrey
4. Samuel Dexter Niles b. 4 Oct 1830 d. aft. 1900 Ga m (1) Lovina D. __ b. c1834 Fairlee VT d. alive 1880 Ga m (2) c1891 May B. Atkinson b. 26 Jan 1860 Ga d. 9 Apr 1925 Morgan Co Ga Teacher. Confederate.
5. Charles Edward Niles b. Nov 1831 d. 2 May 1903 Wakefield MA m. 13 Nov 1850 Julia Ann Perkins b. 15 Mar 1835 Lyme NH d. 25 Jun 1908 Wakefield Ma
6. George Riley Niles b. 22 Sep 1832 d. 1907 Ga m. Alice Eugenia Andrews b. 18 Jul 1849 Ga d. 14 May 1926 Ga Druggist. Confederate (Capt.)
7. Lewis Oscar Niles b. c1834 d. c1910 m. (1) 1 Feb 1864 SC, Margaret Ophelia Sperry m. (2) 14 Apr 1897 Evelyn Rice, Macon Ga Latin teacher. Graduate Univ Ga Law School. Merchant. Confederate.
8. Jerome S. Niles b. May 1837 d. 21 Apr 1910 Wakefield Ma m. 3 Sep 1883 Addie A. Morrison b. 21 Apr 1857 Rockland ME d. alive 1930 Wakefield
9. Martha "Mattie" Niles b.22 Feb 1839 d. 14 Oct 1910 Reading Ma m. Wm. Carter b. c1828 Reading Ma d. 5 Mar 1904 Reading Ma R.R. conductor
10. Wm. Henry Niles b 22 Dec 1834 d. Lynn Ma m. 19 Sep 1865 Bristol NH Harriet A. Day b. 4 Feb 1842 d. aft 1930 Lynn Ma Prominent lawyer.
11. Thomas Henry Niles b. 22 Mar 1842 d. 6 Aug 1886 Lynn Ma m. 11 Feb 1868 Reading Ma Ellen A. Snow b c1846 Tolland, Ct d. Lawyer. A suicide. Appears not to have lived with his wife and son.