Seeking confirmation that a Methodist Minister, Joshua OGILVIE, "of Revolutionary memory," was a son of James OGILVIE Sr. (reportedly a son of Wm. OGILVIE & Mary SMYTH) and that this Joshua OGILVIE lived in Edgefield District, SC, ca. perhaps 1750-1825.Seeking further to learn the identity of the wife of Joshua OGILVIE and mother of his daughter Elizabeth OGILVIE (Mrs. Wm. FOY, b. ca 1792 and d. 15 Jan 1859, near Hamburg, in Edgefield Co., SC.)
It was reported in 1930 that: "Young Wm. Ogilvie of Glasgow, Scotland, married a young Welsh girl named Mary Smyth who worked as a domestic in the O’Gilvie home. The family was not happy about this romance and raised quite a fuss about it. The young couple secretly took passage aboard a merchant vessel to America, landing in Wilmington, NC, and settling in Fairfield District, SC. Here their son James was born. This James Sr. married Penelope Parrott. Some time in the 1770s the family moved to Edgefield Dist, SC, to what is now McCormick County, SC. This James was a Methodist Preacher, Farmer, and Slave Holder. This information taken from family records kept by Mrs. Nettie Ogilvie Speaks of Bamberg, SC. Copied by Mrs. James Emory Boyd (Cousin of Nettie Ogilvie) of Tignal, GA, 26 Aug 1930."
Seeking further confirmation that the children of this James Ogilvie Jr. and Penelope PARROTT included:
1. Mary (26 June 1769-11 Jan 1845) m. Robt. Weston (29 Aug1763/UK - 21 July 1845/AL) Both d.1845 Sumter Co., AL.
2. William (3 May 1775 - 13 Jan1 856) m. Rebecca Pope (24 Jan 1772-16 Sept 1832)
3. James (12 Dec 1777 - 15 Oct 1839) m. Elizabeth Watson (15 Sept 1778 - 20 June 1870). They were married on 21 Sept 1797. Elizabeth died in Wilkes County, GA.
4. Thomas (25 Jan 1782 - 11 Feb 1826) m. Margaret Jennings on 16 Sept 1813.
5. Elizabeth (1774 or 1774 - 1824)
6. John (d. ca 1839) m. Eliza EASON. I have John as having died in Oglethorpe County, GA.
7. Joshua (ca 1750 - ca 1825?). Methodist Minister in Edgefield SC. Married ? and father of Elizabeth OGILVIE (b. ca 1792 & d. 21 January 1859 near Hambiurg SC.)
8. Smith (born 4 June 1761 in Granville County NC & died 8 August 1811 in College Grove TN. He married Frances VINCENT, b. 1777 & d. 21 Sept 1870 in Rutherford Co., TN.)
9. Judith m. Caleb MALDIN
10. Nancy m. John COLEMAN (m. 28 July 1813 in Edgefield County SC).
The obituary for Elizabeth Ogilvie (daughter of Joshua) reads as follows: “Died, at her late residence, near Hamburg, SC, on January 21, 1859, Mrs. Elizabeth Foy, widow of William Foy, in the 67th year of her age. She was the daughter of Joshua Ogilvie, of Revolutionary memory, and for many years a faithful and useful Methodist preacher. She was for many years a member of the Methodist Church at Gassaway. She was an affectionate mother.” (E.P.) in “The Edgefield Advertiser,” September 21, 1859. Cited in Edgefield Death Notices and Cemetery Records, compiled by Carlee T. McClendon, Columbia, SC (The Hive Press), 1977, p.165.
I am a direct descendant of this Methodist Minister, Joshua OGILVIE, through his daughter Elizabeth OGILVIE (m. William FOY, b. ca 1779/80 in Wilmington, Hanover Co., NC and d. 15 May 1858 near Hamburg, Edgefield Co., SC).I have been unable, thus far, to discover the identity of Joshua's wife and the mother of Elizabeth.I am also seeking to confirm that Joshua was indeed the son of James OGILVIE Sr. and Penelope PARROTT, and that heir children are those eight named above.Will appreciate any and all suggestions.
Best Regards, George Stevens