I am not sure whether this will help or just complicate your research.
Presbyterian Circuit Rider Marriages, 1790-1810:
Washington and Fayette Cos, PA
Early Marriages in Ohio WVa Court House
Moses Chapline, Clerk
His Record BookOhio Co, Virginia, 1793
These marriages appear to have been by Presbyterian circuit riders serving
congregations in Washington and Fayette Counties, Pennsylvania.
"1/27/1798 Constantin Oneele and Margaret Moore
Marshall County History
Marshall County was created by an act of the Virginia General Assembly on
March 12, 1835, from parts of Ohio County. The county was named in honor of John
John Marshall was born in Germantown, Virginia on September 24, 1755. He
served as a soldier during the American Revolutionary War and, after leaving the army
in 1781 was licensed to practice law in his home county (Fauquier County). He served
as a member of the Virginia General Assembly (1782-1791) and was named a special
envoy to France in 1797. In 1798, he was elected to the U.S. House of
Representatives representing Virginia from 1799 to 1800. He was then named Secretary
of State by President Thomas Jefferson (1800-1801), and was selected Chief Justice of
the United States Supreme Court (1801-1835). The court's rulings during his tenure in
office, especially Marbury vs. Madison (1803) which established the court's right of
judicial review, established Marshall as the greatest Chief Justice in American political
history. He died on July 6, 1835.
Robert Cavelier de La Salle was probably the first European to set foot in present
Marshall County. He sailed down the Ohio River in 1669. In 1749, Louis Bienville de
Celeron sailed down the Ohio River and may have set foot on the current site of
Marshall County. He claimed all of the lands drained by the Ohio River for King
Louis XV of France. He met several English fur traders on his journey and ordered
them off of French soil and wrote strong letters of reprimand to the colonial governors
protesting the English's presence on French soil.
Christopher Gist was the first Englishman to leave a recorded record of his visit to
the county. In 1751, he explored the area on behalf of the Ohio Company. It had
been granted 500,000 acres of land between the Great Kanawha and Monongahela
Rivers by King of Great Britain. They were to forfeit the lands unless the company
was able to locate at least 100 families upon the land within seven years. Its efforts to
settle the region was, at least partly, responsible for the ensuing French and Indian
John Wetzel and his family were the first English settlers to build a cabin in the
county. They arrived in the vicinity of Sand Hill in 1769 or 1770. Several other
settlers, including Ebenezer Zane and his brothers Silas, Jonathan, and Andrew, a Mr.
Mercer and a Mr. Bonnett settled nearby that same year. In March 1771, three
brothers, Joseph, Samuel and James Tomlinson, Nathaniel Parr, and a man employed by
the Tomlinsons named Con O'Neill arrived in the county. The Tomlinson brothers and
their companions settled in the flats along Grave Creek, near Moundsville. As settlers
continued to move into the region, James Tomlinson decided in 1798 to plat a town.
He called it Elizabethtown, in honor of his wife. The first lot in the town was sold for
$8 to Andrew Rogers on November 15, 1799. The town grew slowly. It was
incorporated on February 17, 1830. At that time, it had about 300 residents. Another
town, called Mound City, was begun nearby by Simon Purdy. It was incorporated as
Moundsville on January 28, 1832. Its name was derived from the Mammoth Grave
Creek Indian Mound, located there.
The act creating the county in 1835 named Elizabethtown the county seat. The act
required that the first meeting of the Marshall County Court take place in the brick
school house in the town on the first Thursday after the third Monday of May, 1835.
On February 23, 1865, Moundsville and Elizabethtown merged into Moundsville.
One of the nation's oldest and largest Indian burial grounds is located in
Moundsville. The mound is 69 feet high, 900 feet in circumference at the base, and 50
feet across at the top. It was acquired by the state in 1917. The mound was
discovered by James Tomlinson. It was opened under the supervision of Abelard B.
Tomlinson in 1838. He discovered a vault 111 feet from the northern side containing
the skeletal remains of two Indians, one of them surrounded with 650 ivory beads and
wearing an ivory ornament about six inches long. The mound also contained ashes and
bits of bones that are believed to be the remnants of Indians burned prior to their
internment in the mound. Another vault was discovered near the top of the mound,
containing a skeleton wearing beads, seashells and copper bracelets. An inscribed stone
was removed from the vault and is on display at the Smithsonian Institute in
Constantine O'Neil born 1753 in Ireland. He died on Sept.16 1834 in Muses Bottom, Jackson Co. VA.Constantinemarried Catherine Shepherd on Feb. 21, 1799 in West Liberty, Ohio Co. VA.Catherine was born in 1764 in Queen Anne Co. MD.She died on Jan. 27, 1847 in Woodford Co. IL.
Constantine served as a private in the Pennsylvania troops under Colonels Mackey and Bayard. Also served in Colonel Morgan's rifle corps. Claimed land between Big Grave Creek and Middle Grave Creek. Listed in D.A.R. Patriot index pg 2173, Private, PA. (Sources: D.A.R. Linage Book, Vol 158, page 216; History of Marshall Co. by Scott Powell, 1925.)