I now have a site on ancestry.com called "Orrison"
Here's what I (think)I know;
John Demund Orrison was born in 1868 in Ohio He married Matilda Bowsher (1817-1879) in 3 Feb 1837. He is listed in the 1840 and 1850 Federal census.
A John Orrison is listed from Ohio in the US Civil War Soldiers.1861-65. I have no proof this soldier is our John Demund Orrison.
There is listing for another John Orrison in 1860 and 1880 in Columbiana, Ohio.
The 1840 and 1850 census list our John Orrison was in Circleville, Pickaway Co., Ohio.
Our John does not appear after the civil war. John Orrsion the civil war soldier mustered out in KY or TN.
I have no record of Matilda Bowsher Orrison ever coming to Illinois. So. My guess is they are both buried somewhere near Circleville, Ohio.
The nine children I have listed for John and Matilda are: 1. Ann Orrison (no date)
2. Sarah J. Orrison 1839-1884 Sarah J Orrison b. 1839 in Ohio – d. 1 May 1884 in Monticello. I do have her married to John Blacker with ten children. Sarah is listed in Ohio in 1860 then in Illinois in 1870. She and John were married in Ohio in 1859. The children I have listed for Sarah and John Blacker are:
Marcus Blacker (could this have been her youngest brother, Marquis Mark Brown Orrison? There was a story that he came as an orphan to Illinois, never confirmed.) Franklin Douglas Blacker 1860 – 1925 Matilda Blacker 1861 – 1933 Mary A. Blacker 1864 – 1884 Cintha Blacker 1866 – 1866 Henry Charles Blacker 1867 – 1947 Arther E Blacker 1875 – 1948 Jasper Augustus Blacker 1877 – 1945 Charles Clarence Blacker 1880 – 1952 Lena Myrtle Blacker 1882 – 1940
3. Miranda Orrison 1841 Miranda Orrison shows up with the family in Ohio in 1850 but not after. Did she die?
4. Samuel Orrison 1843 – 1862 (enrolled in Union Army Aug 1862 in Monticello. Died in KY Dec 1862)
5. Laura Orrison b. 1846 – died before 1882 I have Laura married in 1863 in Champaign to William Tucker, then later in 1867 to Joseph Blacker. William Blacker is listed as Joseph Blacker's son b. 1862 in Ohio? (Was Joseph Blacker married in Ohio before moving to IL? Was William from a previous marriage?) In 1882 Joseph Blacker marries a Harriet Gale. (I'm assuming Laura is dead.)
6. Anthony Wayne Orrison b. 1847 – d. after 1900 married Abbigail Spencer in 10 Feb 1869 in Piatt Co. Anthony and Abbigail have three children: May Effie, Jacob and Clara Belle Orrison. Moved to Ford Co. IL
7. Martha Orrison 1850 – 1912 Martha married George Brinker. they and their family of five children remained in Ohio.
8. Mary Jane Orrison 1850 – 1928 Mary Jane married Henry Culp. they had seven children. One was also named Marquis..like Marquis her brother. They lived in Ohio.
9. this is my line: Marquiss "Mark" Brown Orrison 1853 – 1924. According to obit, he left Ohio when he was 9 and came to Illinois with relatives. His mother was dead.... HOWEVER, Matilda Bowsher listed as his mother did not die until 1879. I haven't figured this out yet. Could someone else be his mother? Is the death date wrong...What do you know?