Louisville Historical Museum December 2008 Louisville Holiday Home Tour 2008 741 Lincoln Avenue Home to the Vieweg, Ostrander, Jorges, and Lawrence Families This home was constructed around 1904 or 1905 and has the significance of being one of the few historic brick homes in Louisville. It is chiefly associated with the Ostranders, a family that operated a bakery on Main Street. In 2008, the current owner was presented with a Historic Preservation Merit Award from the City of Louisville for his historically sensitive addition, which consisted of carefully raising the roof to create additional living space without affecting the character and feel of the home. Vieweg Family, Owners 1897-1906 The Pleasant Hill Addition in which this house sits was first developed in 1894. John Vieweg was the first purchaser who bought up these four lots over a period of time between 1897 and 1904. The four lots cost Vieweg a total of $175. (Each lot was $40, except that the corner one was more expensive - $55.) John, or Johann, Vieweg was a coal miner who had come to the United States from Germany with his wife, Louise, and their oldest son in 1893. According to the 1900 census records, he was 39 in 1900; Louise was 36, son Paul was 12; son Johann was 6; and daughter Ella was 11 months old. The 1904 directory for Louisville shows the family living at this location. Vieweg clearly appears to have been the owner who had a house built on the property. When he sold the four lots in 1906, the selling price was $2000, with the increased value likely due to the presence of a house. Ostrander Family, Owners 1906-1955 Mrs. Isabelle I. Ostrander purchased the property at 741 Lincoln in 1906. She and her son, Albert H. Ostrander, together operated a bakery on the southwest corner of Main and Spruce, where the City Hall is now located. In fact, the building had the address of 749 Main Street, which is now the address of the Louisville City Hall. This longtime Louisville establishment was especially known for its wonderful aromas and for its delicious long johns, lemon pies, square cakes, sugar doughnuts, jelly rolls, and bread. For the most part, baking was done on the premises. A 1909 advertisement in the Louisville News promoted the lemon pies at ten cents each. The Ostrander mother and son, then the son alone, ran the bakery from around 1904 until the late 1930s. At different times, it was called “the Louisville Bakery” and “Ostrander’s Bakery.” Different members of the family lived in the home at 741 Lincoln over the 49 years of ownership by the Ostranders. In the early years of their ownership, Isabelle Irene Ostrander lived here with her husband, Othello Ostrander. By 1910, son Albert Ostrander, age 33, was living in the house with his wife, Mabel (age 25) and daughter Leonora (8 months). They later had a second daughter, Shirley. After the death of Albert in 1939, Mabel continued to reside in the house. She passed away in 1954.