Were there active Baptist Churches in Prince George, Va. in the 1700s? The first known Baptist meeting houses in Virginia were licensed in Prince George County in 1715. After the Act of Toleration was passed by the English Parliment in 1689 Virginia followed and colonists there were allowed freedom of religion. Baptists in Prince George contacted General Baptists in England asking that ordained preachers be sent. English Baptists sent two preachers to Virginia in 1714. Only Rev. Robert Norden survived the journey. Norden appeared in court in Prince George and was licensed to preach as an anabaptist 14 June 1715 (order book 1714-1720, p.20) The same day the court wrote "Matthew Marks having petitioned the court that his house be entered a publick meeting house for those persons called Annabaptists, is ordered the same to be done immediately." The next session of court July 12 1715 it was written "On motion of Nicholas Robertson it's ordered that his house be recorded a publick meeting house for the sext of Annabaptists." Robertson owned land in Bristol Parish. Rev. Norden was the executor of Matthew Marks will and was living in his house in 1718. This house was located in Martin Brandon Parish on land on Ward's Run patented by Marks 21 April 1690 (Va Patent Book No. 8, p77.) The relationship of this land to Richard and James Pace is well documented at Pace-L-Archives, subject [PACE] The PG land sold by John and Richard Pace 1759. There is no known proof that the Paces were Baptists, however, given the fact that John and Richard moved from Virginia during the Great Baptist Revival it certainly must be suspected. More circumstantial evidence comes from Robert Semple, a well known Baptist Historian of the 19th century. Semple stated " Norden organized a church in Prince George and held meeting there until he died Dec. 1, 1725." Semple claimed the churches remained active there until they disappeared about 1756 " as a consequence of removal of members to North Carolina."