Title: History of Washington County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men / edited by Boyd Crumrine. Illustrated. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts and Co., 1882.
Author: Crumrine, Boyd, 1838-1916
Pg. 565 MONONGAHELA CITY
During the year 1770, JOSEPH PARKINSON came from some point east of the Allegheny range, and settled on the tract mentioned as “Southwark.”It has been stated that the PARKINSONS came from Bedford County, but Bedford County did not then exist.This region formed part of Cumberland County until March 9, 1771, of Bedford from the latter date until the formation of Westmoreland, Feb. 26, 1773, and of the latter county from the date last mentioned until the erection of Washington County, March 28, 1781; (pg. 566) and from the fact that the PARKINSONS seem to have espoused the cause of Virginia as against Pennsylvania in the claim for territory situated hereabouts, it is probable that they came here from Virginia or Maryland.
Of the PARKINSONS, there were five brothers, viz.: JOSEPH, BENJAMIN, THOMAS, JAMES, and WILLIAM; but of them JOSEPH alone was prominently connected with the early history of the town proper.It should be understood, too, that the BENJAMIN PARKISON here mentioned and the BENJAMIN PARKISON who at an early day was so extensively engaged in business at Mingo were not one and the same.The latter was a nephew of BENJAMIN, SR., and a son of either JAMES or WILLIAM...In 1780 a Virginia certificate was granted to JOSEPH PARKINSON, and thus, according to the claims of Virginia, he became vested with the ownership of a tract entitled, “Wood Park,” which included Southwark, the words used by the Virginia commissioners as follows:
“We, the commissioners for adjusting the claims to be unpatented lands in the counties of Monongahela, Yohogania, and Ohio, do hereby certify that JOSEPH PARKINSON, assignee of Brady and Brooks, is entitled to three hundred and eighteen acres of land in the county of Yohogania, situate on the Monongahela River, to include his settlement made in the year 1770...(pg. 567) JOSEPH PARKINSON was the ferry-master and innkeeper...(pg. 569) Prior to the beginning of the century, however, MAJ. JAMES WARNE, a native of Allegheny County, settled in Williamsport, and with WILLIAM PARKINSON (son of JOSEPH) engaged in the sale of merchandise.Subsequently he married MARY,a daughter of JOSEPH PARKINSON, and after the war of 1812 became extensively engaged in the manufacture of glass, and boat-building...
About the year 1800, MAJ. WARNE married MARY, a daughter of JOSEPH PARKINSON.To them were born ten children, and of those who reached years of maturity were: AMUZET IVES, MARGARET, JOSEPH P., JAMES HIRAM, and ELIZA JANE.The first married MARY JACOBS in 1831, and died in 1879; MARGARET became the wife of SAMUEL DEVORE, and now resides in West Virginia; JOSEPH P. born in the year 1810, married ELIZA J. IRWIN, and is now living in Monongahela City; JAMES resides in Fallowfield Twp.; HIRAM, near Washington, Pa.; and ELIZA J., who married JOHN WATKINS, is a president resident of Ray County, Mo.
With the coming of the spring season of 1806 further journeying toward the mouth of the Big Miami was indefinitely postponed.The BUTLERS settled down at Williamsport, and have since been identified with its history.
According to the recollections of CAPT. BUTLER, there were then not more that 15 dwellings in the town, and the residents and business men were about as follows:
JOSEPH PARKINSON, innkeeper and ferry-master; WARNE (JAMES) & WILLIAM PARKINSON, merchants; WILLIAM IRWIN, merchant; PETER BOSS, merchant; ADAM and SIMON HAILMAN, the former being postmast; GEORGE TROUT, innkeeper; NATHAN CHALFANT, boat-builder; JOSEPH McCLURE, cabinet-maker; JOHN SMITH, cabinet-maker; McFERREN, a tailor; ABNER BEADLE, blacksmith; SAMUEL BLACK, merchant; ADAM WICKERHAM; ANDREW B. CHESS was his son-in-law, and the wife of United States Senator Miller, of California, is a granddaughter; and there was, besides, a vacant house owned by ROBERT WILLIAMS.
Of course, the population was considerably augmented by the settlement of the BUTLER family, and its business interests, too, for in the spring of 1806 JONATHAN and BENJAMIN BUTLER became merchants, while the other brothers began work at their individual trades.Of other early settlers, DR. JOSEPH ROSE, a practicing physician, and FREDERICK LAYMAN, a German taylor, came during the year 1807.AENEAS GRAHAM, a tailor, settled about 1809, and CHARLES BOLLMAN, merchant, in 1810...