I have recently been researching the Passmore Family and boy did I get into a mess!! Please help untangle the mess. This will be a lot to read but please print if you want and then help me research this. Thanks.
What I know:
John Passmore born 16 March 1807 in Washington Co., GA. Hemarried Sarah Lee[born 16 March 1807 in Burke Co., GA(according to 1850 Telfair Co, GA census) and died 8 Aug. 1879 in Coffee Co., GA]. John died in 1868 in Coffee Co., GA.
1830 Telfair Co., GA
1 male 0-5 and 1 male 20-30; 1 female 20-30
1840 Telfair Co., GA
1 male 0-5, 1 male 5-10, 1 male 10-15, 1 male 30-40
Bryant Andrew J. AlexanderJohn
1 female 0-5, 1 female 5-10, 1 female 10-15, 1 female 30-40.
Emily or Sarah? CharlotteSarah?Sarah
1850 Telfair Co., GA
John Passmore 44 born in Washington Co., GA
Sarah"44 born in Burke Co., GA
Robert"21 born in Telfair Co., GA
Sarah Brooker 6"
Elizabeth Passmore 5 "
Timothy Fussell 20 Irwin Co., GA
Charlotte " 16 Telfair Co., GA
**Note**That there is a Sarah Brooker listed here. If she was a Passmore, the census taker would have put a " after her name but he didn't. Notice that he specifically wrote Passmore back in there afteer Elizabeth's name. Therefore Sarah Brooker is NOT a Passmore but a Brooker...how is she related??
1860 Coffee Co., GA
#35 James Brooker 23
#36 John Pasmore 53
Priscilla Cato 14
Jane Cato 12
Lawrence Pasmore 4
#37 Candace Cato 40
#38 Bryant Pasmore 22
#39 Bryant Wooten 26
In 1870 Coffee Co., GA Sarah Passmore is living with her daughter Emily Passmore Young.
**Note** in 1850 Telfair Co., GA census we find:
Candes Cato 38 born Montgomery Co., GA
Epsy" 20 born Telfair Co., GA
Polly Ann " 18 "
William" 14 "
Susan" 11 "
Prissa" 8 "
Jane" 6/12 "
One boy" 6/12 " (twin to Jane, what was his name and did he live?)
NOW with all of this, comes the questions and comments...
1. It is said that there were 3 children by Candacy Cato ( if you count the twin boy to Jane Cato there were 4) that were John Passmore's as he filed a Petition in court to have the legitimized. I have not seen the document, but some say it is there, and I agree with them. I would like a copy of this document. Who was the twin of Jane and did he live?
2. It is said that John Passmore also filed a Petition in the Coffee County Court to legitimize Nathan, age 18 years son of Harriet Lee and was granted this. I HAVE NOT FOUND THIS NATHAN IN THE CENSUS NOR HARRIET?? I found where he must have died in the Civil War. Where is Nathan and his mother in the census records? Also, did John Passmore have more children with her. I have also listed Narcissus and a Susana(Susan Ann or Susanna Ann). No proof of this, but is there a court record legitimizing them? I have record that Harriet married Joshua Kirkland and lived in Bulloch Co., GA. If I could find Harriet in the census I could find out who all her children are as they would be listed with her. Note that Narcissus is listed in 1850 as living with John Passmore, so was she the daughter of Sarah Lee or Harriet Lee? and if she was the daughter of Sarah Lee then why isn't Susanna living with John too??
3. I have seen where some have confused Andrew Jackson Passmore with Alexander Passmore. They are not the same and are different individuals. Andrew married Epsy Cato...sister to Candacy Cato or niece? Alexander married Sarah"Sally" Sapp, not Tempy,however Alexander's son Alexander married a Tempy as they are listed in the 1920 Greer Co, OK census. Was Andrew a son of John Passmore and Sarah Lee or was he legitimized also? Look in GA Legislature in Telfair County.
4. The Sarah Brooker Passmore and Susanna(Susan Ann or Susanna Ann) Passmore mystery? They are not the same ladies. I have listed that John Passmore and Sarah Lee had a daughter named Sarah who married James Brooker..as I do believe this is correct and Sarah is living next door to John in 1860 Coffee Co., GA census. The Sarah Brooker mistake comes from the 1850 Coffee Co, GA census of John Passmore's famliy. Sarah Brooker is listed, but she is not a daughter as you will see in my note listed above. Who is she? Is she the sister to James Brooker above who married Sarah Passmore? Also Susanna or Sarah Brooker has been listed as marrying Bryant Wooten, Jr which is correct. It is Susanna that married him. Where is Susanna in 1850?
5. I found Sarah Passmore in the following Census records:
1860 Coffee County, GA; 1870 Clay Co., FL; 1880 Clay Co., FL. She married James R. Brooker and they are buried at Old Hickory Grove Cemetery in Clay Co., FL. Their tombstones lists the following: Sarah Brooker 25 June 1837/ 17 Aug 1922, James Brooker 15 apr 1832/26 Dec 1901. It is said that Sarah was born about 1828 but here she is listed as being born in 1837?
6. Was Harriet Lee and Sarah Lee sisters? I have Sarah the daughter of John Lee RS which there is no proof of this, and Harriet Lee the daughter of James Ludwell Lee and Patience Lanier...James and John are listed as brothers?? Do we have anything to prove these relationships?
7. Does anyone have the complete list of Candacy Cato's children?? I also have Spivey in me and noted that she was listed in Edmond Spivey, Jr's will in Coffee County, GA where he left everything to her as she was his housekeeper and it lists children, John W. Cato, Henry Cato, and Ollie Cato.
Thank you for your time in reading this, and you may email me at firstname.lastname@example.org