“History of Allegheny County Pennsylvania”
In Two Parts
Chicago, ILL.: A. Warner & Co., Publishers, 1889
“ROBERT PATTERSON, farmer, post office Duquesne, was born Oct. 15, 1820, in Mifflin township, this county.His grandfather, ROBERT PATTERSON, a native of Ireland, settled first east of the mountains, and afterward in Mifflin township, where he followed the weaver’s trade, and was also one of the pioneer schoolteachers.His wife, ISABELLA, was the daughter of CAPT. BRISBIN, a revolutionary hero.She had eight children: MARY, (pg. 642)ELIZABETH, NANCY, JANE, JOHN, JAMES, SAMUEL and WILLIAM.Of these JOHN was a farmer, and died near Pittsburgh, aged sixty years; his wife, nee MARY OLDFIELD, was the mother of seven children: ELIZA, ISABELLA, ROBERT, JOHN, MARY, NANCY and GEORGE.The subject of this memoir was educated in his native county, where he has been a farmer all his life.The old farm consisted of 150 acres, of which he has yet one hundred, situated between the new steelworks and the glass-factory.He married PRISCILLA, daughter of JOHN McCASLIN, and she died Oct. 29, 1878, the mother of four children: MRS. MARY RISHER, MRS. SARAH RATH, MRS. FANNIE RISHER and BESSIE V.MR. PATTERSON has taken an active interest in church work, and was formerly elder of the Presbyterian Church; politically he was a whig, and since a republican.”
“JOHN M. RISHER, coal merchant and producer, Dravosburg, was born Sept. 16,1849, at Six Mile ferry this county, a son of JOHN C. RISHER.He was educated at the Western University, and the Polytechnic Institute, Brooklyn, N. Y.After leaving school he was clerk in the banking house of S. McLEAN & Co., Fourth street, Pittsburgh, for one year, and then went to a position with the Fort Pitt Banking company.Pittsburgh, filling the same with ability three years, when he resigned to accept the position of bookkeeper and superintendent in the coal business of J. C. RISHER & Co., retaining his residence in Dravosburg.In the fall of 1878, in partnership with JAMES H. GAMBLE, he bought the coalfield at White Mills, in Washington county, known as the Penney tract, and which he operated successfully.In February, 1884, he purchased MR. GAMBLE’S interest, and has now in operation two coalbanks, with a capacity of 15,000 bushes per day.(pg. 394) His dealings with the miners have been such as to benefit them, and good feeling exists between employer and employed.MR. RISHER married MARY J., daughter of ROBERT and PRISCILLA PATTERSON, and five children have blessed them: ROBERT P., EVA A., BESSIE G., who died aged seven years; MARY J. and FANNIE M.MR. and MRS. RISHER are members of the Presbyterian Church.He is a member of the Jr. O. U. A. M., and a republican.”
“WILLIAM B. RATH, farmer, post office Duquesne, was born Sept. 21, 1857, in Mifflin township, on the old homestead, a son of JAMES RATH.He was educated in his native county, has been a farmer all his life, and is now cultivating the old PATTERSON homestead.He married, Feb. 28, 1884, SARAH E. PATTERSON, who was born June 29, 1859.MR. and MRS. RATH are members of the Presbyterian Church.Politically he is identified with the republican party.”
“ABRAHAM PATTERSON (deceased) was born in Ireland in 1809, a son of DAVID and MARY PATTERSON, and came with his parents to America in 1823.They settled in Mercer county, Pa., but in 1829 came to Allegheny county, where they afterward resided.ABRAHAM PATTERSON was married Nov. 21, 1837, to ELIZABETH Y., daughter of ALEXANDER and ELIZABETH YOUNG, of Allegheny county (she was a native of Scotland), and to them were born thirteen children, eight now living: ALEXANDER P., DAVID L., ELIZABETH (wife of JOHN G. STEPHENSON), AGNES M. (wife of A. McCLURE), ISAAC N., THOMAS H., LILLIAN and FRANK P.MR. PATTERSON was a contractor and builder; he and his brother ISAAC, under the firm name of I. & A. PATTERSON, were many years among the most prominent contractors and builders in Allegheny county.ABRAHAM PATTERSON died July 14, 1865, aged fifty-seven years.He was a member of the U. P. Church, and was highly esteemed by all who knew him; his widow is still living, in excellent health, at the advanced age of seventy-two years.Their son, ALEXANDER P., was married Dec. 20, 1870, to ISABEL CLARK, of Fremont, Ohio, and theyhad one child, a daughter, who died at the age of eleven years.DAVID L. PATTERSON was married Sept. 26, 1866, to DUINNIE, daughter of SAMUEL and SOPHIA (STEVENS) DEAN, and they have had seven children: SAMUEL D. (deceased), ALEXANDER A., MAY S., DAVID L., EDNA E., AGNES and STEWART Y.”
“ALEXANDER PATTERSON, post office Putnam, was born in 1829, of Scotch-Irish descent, in Carroll county, Ohio.His grandfather, SAMUEL, was born in Washington county, Pa., where he followed farming.ALEXANDER was reared on a farm in Carroll county, and was educated at Richmond College, where he graduated in classics.From early life he has been identified with coal-mining.In 1857 he married ELIZABETH BENNER.In 1869 he came to Allegheny county, where, since 1872, he has been constantly connected with his present business, and has met with success.He enlisted in 1862 in the 126th O. V. I., and was lieutenant on the quartermaster’s staff, serving three years.Of his family of four children - three sons are deceased and a daughter- his wife and two oldest sons are deceased.MR. PATTERSON is one of Chartiers borough’s most prominent citizens, unassuming in manner and respected by all who know him.He is a member of the Presbyterian Church; politically a republican.”
“BOYD PATTERSON, farmer, post office Dravosburg, is a great-grandson of NATHANIEL PATTERSON, of Scotch-Irish descent, who came from Campbell county, Va., married ELIZABETH BELL, and, removing to this county, settled in Mifflin township.They attended Lebanon Church, and there both lie buried.Their children are ANDREW, THOMAS B., HON. JAMES, and ELLEN, who married SAMUEL CUNNINGHAM, the father of SQUIRE CUNNINGHAM.Of these HON. JAMES PATTERSON was born in Virginia, and married CATHARINE, a daughter of JOSEPH and MARY A. (McCONNELEY) LIVINGSTON, natives of Ireland.He came to Allegheny county, where he farmed, but returned to Virginia on account of the Indians.He was a prohibitionist and a democrat; was revenue collector of the Seventeenth district from 1814 to 1825.In 1826 was a member of the legislature; in 1828 was re-elected, and for several years was colonel of the militia; was justice of the peace, and filled other township offices, and was a member of Lebanon Church.His children were JAMES T., HON. LIVINGSTON B., CORNELIUS D., MARY, ELIZA (who died young) and ELINOR, wife of DR. J. F. WILSON, who was a native of this county, but is now deceased.HON. LIVINGSTON B. was educated here, and became a civil engineer.In the winter of 1855-56 he was elected to the legislature and filled the office of justice of the peace for thirty years, until his death.He was a member of Lebanon Presbyterian Church.His wife was MARY J., daughter of BENJAMIN BUTLER, and their union was blessed with one son, BOYD PATTERSON, who was born Dec. 25, 1856.He was educated at the State Normal school, and married EMMA, daughter of WILLIAM BUTLER.They have two children, ROBERT and MARY J.MR. and MRS. PATTERSON are members of the Presbyterian Church; he is a democrat.He now occupies the old farm.”
“FRANK PATTERSON, farmer, post office Buena Vista, is a son of PETER and JANE (McKNIGHT) PATTERSON.JAMES PATTERSON, the grandfather of our subject, was one of the first settlers of Elizabeth township, locating is this county over one hundred years ago.He was a farmer, and in connection carried on the business of distilling.He was an active participant in the “whisky insurrection,” and was held by Washington prisoner at Buena Vista for his connection with that outbreak.He had eight children, one of whom is still living - REBECCA, widow of EBENEZER HENDERSON, of Elizabeth township.PETER, the father of our subject, was born on the homestead, and always followed the occupation of farming.He had seven children, one of whom, SARAH, MRS. THOMAS W. McCUNE, of Elizabeth township, is dead.The living are JAMES H., WILLIAM E., THOMAS C., REBECCA (now MRS. JAMES NESBIT), AMANDA (a maiden lady, living with JAMES H.), and FRANK, the eldest, who was born April 23, 1828.He received his early education at the public schools, the preparatory course at Greene Academy, Greene county, Pa., and graduated from Waynesboro College.Subsequently he engaged in the mercantile business at Buena Vista.For ten years he was justice of the peace of his township, school director seventeen years, and in 1885 was elected director of the poor of this county, which office he now fills.MR. PATTERSON is extensively engaged in farming.He was married to KATE, daughter of WILLIAM and JULIA (FLYNN) McCUNE, of this county.They have three children living: CHARLES H., JESSE O. and FREDERICK G.MR. PATTERSON is a member of the R. A., and he and family are members of the U. P. Church of Buena Visita, of which he is presiding elder.”
“ISAAC PATTERSON, engine-hostler, Wall, was born in the parish of Tillabish,County Down, Ireland, a son of ISAAC and MARGARET PATTERSON.He was reared on a farm, and attended the public schools.When thirty years old he came to Pittsburgh, and was employed in the construction of the P. R. R..For the last twenty-four years he has had charge of locomotives when not in use.He lived sixteen years above STEWART’S Station, and in 1869 bought a house at Wall.He is also the owner of two other houses, which his industry has secured.MR. PATTERSON is a member of the M. E. Church at Turtle Creek; politically he is a democrat.He married, in Ireland, in 1851, SUSANNAH ENGLISH, a native of the same parish as himself, and they have five children: THOMAS, a resident of Wall; JOHN, at Braddock; ISAAC, in Pittsburgh; ELLEN, wife of D. S. LEWIS, WALL, and CATHARINE, at home.”
“JOHN W. PATTERSON, retired, McKeesport, was born in Elizabeth township, Allegheny county, Feb. 20, 1822, a son of JAMES and MARY (WATT) PATTERSON.His paternal grandfather was JAMES PATTERSON,a native of Scotland, and pioneer of Westmoreland county, Pa.His maternal grandfather was JOHN WATT, a native of Ireland, a wheel-wright by trade, a pioneer of Elizabeth, this county, and in later life a prominent farmer.JAMES PATTERSON, father of our subject, was a cabinet-maker by trade; also a carpenter and farmer.He died in Elizabeth township in 1856, on the farm he had settled in 1812.He had eight children who grew to maturity: NANCY (MRS. WILLIAM WATT), JANE (MRS. WILLIAM FINNEY), MARGARET (MRS. ROBERT FINNEY), JOHN W., JAMES, JOSEPH, THOMASand FINNEY.JOHN W. was reared in Elizabeth township; at the age of nineteen was apprenticed for three years at the mill-wright’s trade, which he followed for eight years.He was engaged in farming for six years in Elizabeth, and in 1855 located in McKeesport, where he engaged in business as a contractor and builder, in which he continued until 1883, when he retired.In 1845 he married SUSAN, daughter of JOSEPH and MARY (VANKIRK) SCOTT, of Elizabeth, by whom he had two children: JAMES E. and RUTH A. (MRS. JOHN O’NEIL).MR. PATTERSON is a representative and worthy citizen.He is a member of the U. P. Church, and is republican.”
“PETER PATTERSON, general superintendent National Tube-works company, McKeesport, is a native of Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, Scotland.At an early age his mechanical tastes induced him to learn the trade of machinist, and the thorough training of his country, coupled with unusual genius in mechanical and engineering matters, soon placed him at the head of his trade.He came to this country in May, 1866, and found employment with the Union Machine company, and later with the firm of CAMPBELL, HALL, & Co., Norwich, Conn.He moved to New York in December of the same year, where he accepted a position at the Secor Ironworks.In 1869 he went to the extensive machine-shops of JAMES L. JACKSON & Brother, where he remained until December, 1871.At that time the National Tube-works company, at East Boston, Mass. with a view to securing the best skill to carry on the work of designing and constructing the special machinery for the erection of their projected McKeesport mill, secured the services ofMR. PATTERSON as constructing-engineer.In this capacity, and as assistant engineer, he came to McKeesport in June, 1872, and took charge of erecting the mills which have grown under his supervision to such magnitude.In 1880 the company appointed him general superintendent, which position he has since filled.MR. PATTERSON is a thoroughly practical man, a systematic, cool-headed mill-manager, possessed of rare inventive talent.He has invented several important patents which are in constant and successful operation.He takes a deep interest in local matters, and is a representative citizen.He is a member of the United Presbyterian Church, in politics a stanch republican.”
“ROBERT PATTERSON, of the Presbyterian Banner, Pittsburgh, was born in Pittsburgh, October 17, 1821.His grandfather, JOSEPH PATTERSON, was born in Ireland, March 20, 1752; was married there to JANE MOAK, March 27, 1772.They emigrated to America, arriving at Philadelphia early in 1773, and settled in Saratoga county, N. Y., where their son ROBERT was born April 1, 1773.Returning to Philadelphia, MR. PATTERSON taught school near Germantown; was present at the first public reading of the Declaration of Independence at the door of the statehouse; dismissed his school and served as a private soldier during the campaign of 1776-77, part of the time under LAFAYETTE, who, upon visiting Pittsburgh in 1825, recognized his old companion in arms.In 1777 he removed to York county, Pa., resuming the occupation of a teacher; in 1779 removed to Washington county and engaged in teaching and farming; in 1785 commenced a course of studies for the ministry under the direction of REV. JOSEPH SMITH; was licensed August 12, 1788; ordained and installed pastor of Raccoon and Montour’s Run churches November 10, 1789; in 1816 he resigned his pastoral charge on account of infirm health, and removed to Pittsburgh where he continued to preach as opportunity offered and strength permitted, laboring also as a Bible and tract distributor until his death, February 4, 1832.
ROBERT PATTERSON, SR., son of the above, was born not far from where the battles ofStillwater were fought four years later.He entered the Canonsburg Academy at its commencement in 1790, reciting the first lesson under the shade of some trees, no building having yet been obtained.In 1794 he entered the junior class of the University of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia, where his uncle, ROBERT PATTERSON, was the professor of mathematics.He graduated there in 1796, and remained as a tutor four years longer, at the same time studying theology.He was licensed in 1801, and August 27, 1801, was married to JANE CANON, daughter of COL. JOHN CANON, the founder of Canonsburg.MR. PATTERSON was pastor of two churches near Erie, Pa., for six years; in 1807 removed to Pittsburgh, and took charge of the Pittsburgh Academy (now the Western University of Pennsylvania) until 1810.From that date until 1836 he was engaged in bookselling, and part of the time in publishing and in the manufacture of paper.He also supplied the pulpit of Hiland Church, seven miles north of Pittsburgh, from 1807 to 1833.In 1840 he removed to the country, about three miles south of Pittsburgh, where he died September 5, 1854.MRS. PATTERSON died in 1856.
ROBERT PATTERSON, son of the above, graduated at Jefferson College, Pennsylvania, in September, 1840; read law for three years in the office of HON. THOMAS H. BAIRD; was admitted to the bar of Allegheny county in October, 1843; practiced with JUDGE BAIRD until 1845; was engaged in teaching in different academies until August, 1850, when he was elected to the professorship of mathematics in Jefferson College, Pennsylvania, from which he was chosen to the same chair in Oakland College, Mississippi, in November, 1854; from this to the same chair in Centre College, Danville, Ky., in 1858, which last position he left in 1864 to become associated with REV. DR. JAMES ALLISON in conducting the Presbyterian Banner.He was married, August 27, 1851, to ELIZA, daughter of HON. T. H. BAIRD.They have one son, THOMAS, a member of the Pittsburgh bar, and two daughters, JANE and ELIZABETH.”
“THOMAS PATTERSON, machinist, McKeesport, was born in Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, Scotland, March 5, 1845, a son of PETER and ISABELLA (BURN) PATTERSON.He was reared in his native town, where he served an apprenticeship of five years at the machinist’s trade.He went to England in January, 1866, and June 1, 1870, landed in New York city, where, for three months, he was employed in the machine-shops of J. M. & P. JACKSON.He then went to Boston, Mass., and, October 15th, engaged with the National Tube-works company, in whose employ he has since been.He came to McKeesport in 1872, and since 1882 has been foreman of machinery in the lap-weld mill.He married, Feb. 5, 1870, ISABELLA, daughter of DAVID and MARY J. (ROSETHORN) LEE, of Westmoreland, England, and has had ten children: MARY J., ISABELLA R., PETER, THOMAS H.. (deceased), ELIZABETH E., JOHN, DAVID L., JESSIE T., JAMES G. and GEORGE A.MR. PATTERSON is a member of the Masonic fraternity, K. of P., K. of H. and Caledonian Club; he is a republican.”
“ WILLIAM PATTERSON, farmer, post office Herriottsville, was born in this county in 1828, the eldest son in the family of six children born to JAMES and ABIGAIL (DENNISTON) PATTERSON.JOHN PATTERSON, his grandfather, came from Ireland to America about 1810, and settled in Maryland.He married MARY MILLER, also of Ireland, and by her had five children, of whom JAMES was among the youngest.JOHN was a weaver by trade, but later in life was a farmer, and owned land in Washington and Allegheny counties; he died aged eighty-seven years.JAMES PATTERSON was born Dec. 1, 1790.He was a miller by trade, but followed farming, and in 1830 purchased one hundred acres of land, which is now owned by the subject of this sketch, where he remained until his death., in 1872, when he was eighty-two years of age; his wife died in 1845.WILLIAM was reared on a farm, was educated at the public schools, and has always followed farming.He married, in 1876, ANNIE E., daughter of JAMES BLACK, of this county, and four children were born to them, two now living; WILLIAM JAMES and WALTER GILMORE.MR. PATTERSON is a member of the U. P. Church; politically a republican.”
Title: Genealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania Vol. 3 / editor-in-chief, John W. Jordan.
Author: Jordan, John W. (John Woolf), 1840-1921.
“PATTERSON - The PATTERSONS of Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, herein considered, descend from the Virginia family that early settled in Campbell county, Virginia.
(I) The pioneer of the name in Allegheny county was NATHANIEL PATTERSON, of Scotch-Irish descent, who with his wife ELIZABETH (BELL) PATTERSON, came from Campbell county to Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, in 1758, settling in Mifflin township.He was accompanied by his sons and with their (pg. 1182) aid erected a log house and began clearing a farm.Soon afterward the Indians became hostile and for safety’s sake the family returned to Virginia, where they remained two and a half years.They then returned to the Mifflin, Allegheny county, home, which they found standing intact, the Indians having passed it by.There NATHANIEL PATTERSON and his wife lived until death, both members of the Lebanon Presbyterian Church.He died in 1790, leaving three sons and a daughter: ANDREW, lived in Pittsburgh; THOMAS B., a farmer of Mifflin township; JAMES, of further mention; ELLEN, married SAMUEL CUNNINGHAM.
(II) HON. JAMES PATTERSON, youngest son of NATHANIEL and ELIZABETH (BELL) PATTERSON, was born in Campbell county, Virginia, and came with his parents to Mifflin township, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, in 1758, and shared all the dangers and privations incident to pioneer life in Western Pennsylvania.He lived on the farm many years, but is best known for the active part he took in public affairs.He was colonel of militia, justice of peace and filled many township offices; from 1814 until 1825 was collector of internal revenue for the seventeenth Pennsylvania district, and in 1828 was elected a member of the Pennsylvania house of assembly.He was one of the most influential Democrats of the district, and a leading member of Lebanon Presbyterian Church, giving the latter substantial aid in erecting their church edifice.He married CATHERINE, daughter of JOSEPH and MARY A. (CONNOLLY) LIVINGSTON, both born in Ireland.Children: JAMES T., lived on part of the old homestead, a bachelor; LIVINGSTON BELL, of further mention; CORNELIUS D., died aged twenty-two years; MARY, never married, but was home keeper for her bachelor brother, JAMES T.; ELIZA T., died in infancy; ELEANOR, married DR. J. F. WILSON, and lived in Philadelphia.
(III) HON. LIVINGSTON BELL PATTERSON, son of HON. JAMES PATTERSON and his wife, CATHERINE (LIVINGSTON) PATTERSON, was born in Mifflin township, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, at the old PATTERSON homestead, in 1815, died May 1, 1887.He obtained his early education in the district school and then took a course in civil engineering and surveying in Pittsburgh under the instruction of MR. TWINING, an eminent engineer of that city.He inherited one hundred and fifty acres of the old homestead from his father and this he improved and cultivated, erecting the farm house yet in use.He also followed his profession and was engaged in surveying at times during his entire life.He took an active part in public affairs, serving justice of peace for thirty-two years, was a member of the Pennsylvania house assembly in 1855-56, and like his father was one of the stalwart and influential Democrats of the township.He was a frequent delegate to county and state conventions, his advice and counsel being listened to and followed by party leaders when matters affecting his district were under discussion.He retained possession of his farm all his life, although he disposed of the coal underlying it when a fair price was offered.Like his forbears he was a pillar of Lebanon Presbyterian Church and was ever ready to aid in all good works.
He married MARY JANE BUTLER, her father born in Clearfield county, (pg. 1183) Pennsylvania, her mother in Jefferson township, Allegheny county.BENJAMIN BUTLER was a boat builder, having a yard on the Monongahela river.While returning from a trip to Philadelphia, the stage coach overturned and rolled down a steep hill, MR. BUTLER having his neck broken in the descent.His widow married (second) JOHN PARKER.Children of BENJAMIN and MARY (COCHRAN) BUTLER: WILLIAM, residing in Petersburg, Virginia, and during the Civil War served in the Confederate army; ELIZA, married JAMES MOORE, and lived in the Valley of the Rappahannock in Virginia; MARY JANE, married HON. LIVINGSTON BELL PATTERSON, of previous mention; JAMES PARKER BOYD, mentioned below.
(IV) JAMES PARKER BOYD PATTERSON, only child of HON. LIVINGSTON BELL and MARY JANE (BUTLER) PATTERSON, was born on the Mifflin county farm, inherited from his father, December 25, 1856, and there yet resides.This old farm is part of the original NATHANIEL PATTERSON tract and has never been owned outside the family.JAMES P. B. PATTERSON attended the Lebanon public school for several years, completing his studies at Millersville State Normal School.After finishing his school years he returned to the home farm and has ever since cultivated the fertile acres, inheriting the property as the sole heir.Like his honored forbears he is a Democrat, but unlike them, takes little part in public affairs.He is also a member of Lebanon Presbyterian Church, being the fourth generation of PATTERSONS to worship within its sacred walls.He is also a member of the Junior Order of United American Mechanics.MR. PATTERSON married, in October, 1883, EMMA JANE BUTLER, born in Monongahela City, Pennsylvania, daughter of WILLIAM and ASENATH (DAVIS) BUTLER, the latter born in West Newton, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, died aged thirty years, the former still surviving.Children of JAMES P. B. and EMMA JANE PATTERSON: ROBERT, born August 3, 1884, now residing at home; MARY JANE, born October 18, 1888, a graduate of Allegheny College of Meadville, Pennsylvania, now residing with her parents.
EMMA JANE (BUTLER) PATTERSON is a great-great-granddaughter of NOBLE BUTLER, who, born in Bristol, England, came to the United States in 1716.Under the provisions imposed by the Penns he took one thousand acres of land in Chester county, about thirty-four miles from Philadelphia.He settled on this tract, a single man, but soon afterward married RACHEL JONES, of Welsh parentage.They were the parents of twelve children, the youngest of these BENJAMIN.NOBLE BUTLER died on his farm in 1804.
BENJAMIN BUTLER, born in Chester county, married and had eleven children, nine of them sons.He was a man of wealth and lived in a mansion in the midst of his many fertile acres.He was not content, however, but sent two of his sons west to spy out the land and report.After an extended journey they returned and advised the purchase of land on the Great Bend of the Ohio river, below Cincinnati.BENJAMIN thought their advice good and sent them back to purchase the tract selected.He disposed of his large farm and beautiful stone mansion and started west in a two-horse carriage, with his household goods packed in two wagons, one drawn (pg. 1184) by six horses, the other by five, with two extra horses. They passed through Lancaster and Harrisburg and over the mountains by the regular route, crossing the Monongahela river at PARKINSON’S Ferry on Sabbath evening, October 6, 1805, putting up for the night at the tavern kept by GEORGE TROUT at Monongahela City.In the morning BENJAMIN BUTLER was stricken with palsy.There was no doctor nearer than Greensburg, so a horse and cow doctor, who appeared on the scene, was allowed to prescribe for the dying men.He pronounced the case one of yellow fever and gave a powder that was afterward found to be of brick dust only.He caused quite a scare in the settlement and disposed of many of his fake powders at fifty cents each.The death of BENJAMIN BUTLER overturned the plan for going to Ohio and Monongahela City became the family home instead.
CAPTAIN IRA R. BUTLER, one of the nine sons of BENJAMIN BUTLER, was born at the Chester county family mansion, November 15, 1792.He married, June 14, 1822, MARY BOYD, born at New London Cross Roads, Chester county, Pennsylvania, October 23, 1801.After the death of his father he lived in Monongahela City, a merchant, in partnership with his brother BENJAMIN (2).After a few years he sold out and for one year was super-cargo of the Lake Erie sailing vessel “Union,” of Grand river, then for two years was her master, thus acquiring the title “Captain.”In 1815 he returned and was engaged in boat building at Williamsport, Pennsylvania, and from 1837 until his death.July 18, 1884, lived in Monongahela City.Children: SARAH, BENJAMIN F., WILLIAM, MRS. KEOCHLINE, of Webster, Pennsylvania; MRS. RICHARD PRATT, MRS. BLYTHE, of Monongahela City; MRS. DR. KEYES, of Monongahela City; IRA R., JR.
WILLIAM BUTLER, son of CAPTAIN IRA R. BUTLER, learned the trade of caulker and boat builder after leaving his father’s farm at the age of twenty-one years.He resides in Monongahela City until his first wife’s death, butafter his return from the Civil War located in Webster, Pennsylvania infantry, with the hard fought Army of the Potomac and in battle received a bayonet thrust through his knee.He worked at his trade until advancing years warned him to desist and for several years has lived a quiet, retired life.He married (first) ASENATH DAVIS, born in West Newton, Pennsylvania, daughter of JESSE and ELIZABETH (BUDD) DAVIS, the former a wealthy land owner and boat builder, who constructed the first large boat that went down the Monongahela river.Children of WILLIAM BUTLER by his first wife: MARY, married W. P. McMASTERS, and resides in Munhall, Pennsylvania; JOSEPHINE, married JOHN BINLEY, and resides at Webster, Pennsylvania; EMMA JANE, wife of JAMES PARKER BOYD PATTERSON.WILLIAM BUTLER married (second) SARAH GOLT, now deceased.”
“PATTERSON - Scotland has sent her quota of citizens to his country, men of force of character and integrity, who have ably assisted in the development and progress of the communities in which they resided, and numbered among these are the members of the PATTERSON family, resident of McKeesport.
PETER PATTERSON, father of THOMAS PATTERSON, was a native of Berwickshire, Scotland, born November 22, 1809, died October 18, 1887.He married ISABEL LILLICO, born at Corn Hill, Northumberland, England, in 1811, died in August, 1886.Their children were: JOSUA, deceased; ELIZABETH WOOD, deceased; PETER, deceased; THOMAS, of whom further; JOHN, deceased; GEORGE.
THOMAS PATTERSON was born in Jedburgh, Roxburyshire, Scotland, March 5, 1845.He was reared in his native land, educated in the common schools of the neighborhood, and in 1870, when twenty-five years of age, emigrated to the United States, landing in New York City.His first employer was JAMES L. JACKSON, whose place of business was located at Second avenue and Twenty-eighth street, New York.Later he went to Boston, Massachusetts, where he was employed in the National Tube Company, they then having only one hundred men in their employ.On June 29, 1872, he left Boston to take up his residence in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, arriving there on July 1.He there entered the employ of the National Tube Company, and served as foreman machinist for thirty-six years, being placed on special jobs, his work being done in the Lapp mill.His long term of service is proof positive that he performed his duties and obligations in a satisfactory manner, meeting the approbation of his superiors.On March 18, 1881, he purchased the property whereon in 1887 he erected a house for the use of himself and family, this being modern in every respect and attractive to the eye.He holds membership in the Presbyterian church,and in politics has always been a staunch Republican.
MR. PATTERSON married, February 5, 1870, ISABELLA LEE, born in Kendall, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, February 27, 1852, daughter of DAVID and MARY JANE (ROSETHORN) LEE, both natives of England, who came to this country in 1879, settling in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, where he died in the year 1885, she surviving until the year 1904.MR. and MRS. LEE were the parents of five children: HARRY, deceased; DAVID, MARY JANE, ISABELLA, ROBERT.MR. and MRS. PATTERSON are the parents of nine children: 1. MARY JANE, wife of GEORGE WEST, of McKeesport, Pennsylvania; children: WALTER LEONARD, THOMAS, HARRY, deceased.2. ISABELLA R.3. PETER, married EMMA ZEMMER; resides in McKeesport; children: ISABELLA, JEAN, THOMAS, JOHN, CHARLES.4. THOMAS HENRY, deceased.5. ELIZABETH, wife of ROBERT WOOD; children: THOMAS, AGNES, JOHN, GEORGE, ISABELLA and DAVID, TWINS.6. JOHN, a resident of McKeesport; married ELLIOTT CRAMMOND, of Kelso, Scotland; children: AGNES, JOHN.7. JESSIE THOMPSON, wife of BERT C. WOOD, of Youngstown, Ohio; children: ROBERT JAMES, HARRY ALLAN.8. DAVID LEE, a resident of McKeesport, married CLARA CAMPBELL; children: CLARA, JAMES, IRENE.9. GEORGE ALEXANDER,a resident of McKeesport (pg.1572), married SARAH DOWNHAM, of Kendall, Pennsylvania; children: DOROTHY, ELEANOR.”
Title: Genealogical and personal history of western Pennsylvania Vol. 1 / editor-in-chief, John W. Jordan.
Author: Jordan, John W. (John Woolf), 1840-1921.
“PATTERSON - The first member of this line of PATTERSONS to settle in the state of Pennsylvania was WILLIAM PATTERSON, who was accompanied thither by his wife, MARGARET, the two coming from north of Ireland.He was of Scotch descent and in his Irish home followed the trade of linen weaver, marrying, and about 1815 coming to Washington county, where he remained until 1835, in that year moving to Armstrong county, where his death occurred in 1849.In his new home he continued at his trade, and when unable to find employment thereat, he engaged in farming.He and his wife were members of the Presbyterian Church, regular in their attendance at its services.Children of WILLIAM and MARGARET PATTERSON:1. WILLIAM, a farmer and carpenter (pg. 262) of Indiana county, Pennsylvania.2. SAMUEL, of whom further.3. JANE, married WILLIAM BEATTY, a blacksmith; lived in Armstrong county, Pennsylvania.4. SARAH, married ABSALOM BEATTY, a shoemaker; lived in Armstrong county, Pennsylvania.5. JANE, married NOAH WOLFE, a farmer and foreman in the railroad employ; lived in Armstrong county, Pennsylvania.6. ROBERT, a blacksmith of Armstrong county, later moved to Pittsburgh.
(II) SAMUEL PATTERSON, son of WILLIAM and MARGARET PATTERSON, was born near McCONNELLS Mill, Washington county, Pennsylvania, in 1825, died on July 24, 1902.As a young man he learned the wagon maker’s trade in his native county under the tutelage of MR. McGINNIS, remaining with him for four years, accompanying his parents to Armstrong county in 1835.His father-in-law’s family were the proprietors of a blacksmith shop and he located on the BEATTY farm, adding a wagon-making department to the blacksmith shop, the business being thus conducted for five years.For the three following years he was employed in the carriage factory maintained by BENJAMIN SMITH.He then returned to Armstrong county and located at Crooked Creek, six miles south of Kittanning, where he and his brother-in-law, WILLIAM BEATTY. were the proprietors of a carriage shop for two and one-half years.He was then engaged in business in Cecil, Washington county, Pennsylvania, Bridgeville, Pennsylvania, in 1854 moving to Mansfield Valley, now Carnegie, Pennsylvania.For more than two years he operated a carriage factory and wagon-making shop in connection with the blacksmith shop of LEONARD KEARNS, then went to Manorville, where he conducted a shop for one year, afterward farming for a like time, and subsequently returning to Pittsburgh, being for several years an employee in South’s Carriage Factory.For five years he was in the oil districts, erecting rigs and working at his trade, and for five years farmed in Erie county, at the same time continuing at his trade.His death occurred in Carnegie, Pennsylvania, although for a few years prior to his coming to that place he had lived in Pittsburgh.His church was the Presbyterian, to which he belonged all his life.
He married, November 30, 1837, MARGARET BEATTY, born near Kittanning, Armstrong county, Pennsylvania, September 10, 1820, died March 15, 1891, daughter of WILLIAM and MARGARET BEATTY, her parents, natives of New Jersey, moving to Armstrong county soon after their marriage.WILLIAM BEATTY was the owner of two hundred acres of land; a blacksmith by trade, had his shop on his premises, engaging in both blacksmithing and farming.He and his wife were members of the Presbyterian Church.WILLIAM and MARGARET BEATTY were the parents of:1. MARY, married WILLIAM WALKER, a farmer; lived in Armstrong county, Pennsylvania.2. WILLIAM, a wagon maker; married JANE PATTERSON; lived in Armstrong county, Pennsylvania.3. ABSALOM, a shoemaker; married SARAH PATTERSON; resided in Armstrong county, Pennsylvania;4. MARGARET, of previous mention, married SAMUEL PATTERSON.5. ISABELLA, married DANIEL BREWER,a farmer of Armstrong county, Pennsylvania.6. SAMUEL, a farmer on the BEATTY homestead in Armstrong county, Pennsylvania; married MARY JANE MOTT.7. JANE married (pg. 263) WILLIAM BOLOMAN; lived on the homestead.Children of SAMUEL and MARGARET (BEATTY) PATTERSON;1. WILLIAM, died November 9, 1913; was a wagon maker of Manorville, Armstrong county, Pennsylvania, in later years a gas inspector; married SUSAN EMELINE STALEY.2. SAMUEL HENRY, of whom further.3. JANE, married JOHN SHERIFF, a tobacconist; resides in Pittsburgh.4. MARGARET ANN, married GEORGE PERRY, a checkman in the employ of a coal company; resides in Pittsburgh.6. JAMES G., a paperhanger of Carnegie, Pennsylvania, married JOSEPHINE BASSETT.
(III) SAMUEL HENRY PATTERSON, son of SAMUEL and MARGARET (BEATTY) PATTERSON, was born in Freeport, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, September 1, 1840.He began his public school education in the institutions of Allegheny City (Pittsburgh North Side), later attending the schools in the different localities to which his father’s business called the family, finishing his studies in Bridgeville.When he was seventeen years of age he served a two years apprenticeship in the blacksmith shop of LEONARD KEARNS, although at the time of his entrance into this trade he was fairly skilled thereat through work in his father’s shop.In 1859 he formed a partnership with his former preceptor which continued for seven years, at the end of that time purchasing a farm of eighty acres near Zanesville, Ohio, which he sold one year later, returning to Carnegie, Pennsylvania, where he was for a short time employed as blacksmith by the Mansfield Coal and Coke Company.He established in independent operations on Main street, and was there located for two years, when, upon the formation of the firm of PATTERSON, CLINGERAN & Company, he became manager of the planing mill erected by the company on Chartiers street, selling his interest in this firm at the end of nine months.He was then for one year a carpenter, on November 7, 1874, returning to the service of the Mansfield Coal and Coke Company, in 1890 being raised to the position of general foreman of the shops.Four years later the Pittsburgh Coal Company purchased the property of this concern and MR. PATTERSON was retained by his new employers in his former capacity, a position he holds to the present time.He is a Republican in political persuasion, and after the formation of Chartiers borough he was the first inspector of elections.At the first election held he was made a member of the school board for a term of three years and assessor for seven years.In 1884 and 1886 he served the borough as tax collector, in all of his public offices showing a constant devotion to his duties that made him a servant of trust and reliability.He and his wife affiliate with the Presbyterian Church, while he holds membership in the Junior Order of United American Mechanics and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
MR. PATTERSON married, December 8, 1863, ELIZABETH BELL, born in Robinson township, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, July 27, 1843, daughter of LEONARD and ROSANNA (BELL) KEARNS, her father a native of Greene Tree borough, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, born October 15, 1815, died December 13, 1900, her mother born in Carnegie, Pennsylvania, March 28, (pg. 264) 1822, died in August, 1901.LEONARD KEARNS learned the blacksmith’s trade in Pittsburgh South Side, being “bound out” to a master of that calling for a term of three years, and in 1852 located at Mansfield (Carnegie), where he was a proprietor of a shop almost until his death.He and his family were of Presbyterian convictions.Children of LEONARD and ROSANNA (BELL) KEARNS:1. ELIZABETH BELL, of previous mention, married SAMUEL HENRY PATTERSON.2. THOMAS J., of Carnegie, Pennsylvania, formerly a blacksmith, now street commissioner of Carnegie; married ELIZABETH McATEER.Child of SAMUEL HENRY and ELIZABETH BELL (KEARNS) PATTERSON; WILLIAM K., born at Carnegie, Pennsylvania, October 31, 1864; by trade a brass moulder; married (first) March 20, 1890, ANNA LANNAHAN, born in county Down, Ireland, died February 28, 1896, daughter of ALEXANDER and SARAH LANNAHAN; (second) May 27, 1899, SARAH DONNELLY, born in county Armagh, Ireland, daughter of SAMUEL and ANN JANE (ODGERS) DONNELLY; WILLIAM K. PATTERSON is the father of: HARRY ALEXANDER, born February 22, 1891; WILLIAM K., JR., born September 21, 1892; ROBERT L., born February 22, 1896; JAMES LEONARD, born January 12, 1900; ELIZABETH ROSE, born January 13, 1902; CLARENCE O., born February 22, 1907; THOMAS BEATTY, born March 27, 1910.”
Title: Genealogical and personal history of the Allegheny Valley, Pennsylvania; under the editorial supervision of John W. Jordan. Vol. 3.
Author: Jordan, John W. (John Woolf), 1840-1921.
(listed under pg. 954 - CAMPBELL - LOGAN)
...(III) JOSEPH (2), son of JOSEPH (1) and MARY (COONCE) CAMPBELL, was born November 24, 1811, in Venango county, Pennsylvania.His parents moved at an early day to Butler county, Pennsylvania, where the after life of JOSEPH (2) CAMPBELL was spent.He married in Butler county, Pennsylvania, in 1835, MARY MARTHA McCURDY PATTERSON, born in Lawrence county, Pennsylvania, May 30, 1818, died in Warren county, Pennsylvania, January 5, 1909 (see PATTERSON).Children: WILHELMINA STEVENSON, born February, 1838, died aged twenty-one years; THOMAS PATTERSON, born October 15, 1839, died 1899, married HARRIET RICHARDSON; MARY ELIZABETH, born July 27, 1841, married WILLIAM WINTON; MARTHA EMELINE, born June 8, 1843, married RICHARD DEMPSEY, an ex-mayor of Bradford, Pennsylvania; and ex-member of the Pennsylvania legislature; SARAH ARMINTA, born June 5,1844, married ALBERT FLYTE; MARGARET REBECCA, born March 17, 1846, died 1907, married NELSON FLEEGER; MELISSA JANE, born 1847, married CAPTAIN JAMES BOGGS, of Evans City; WILLIAM FILMORE, born May 25, 1850, died 1910, married ELIZABETH DILL; MORTIMORE BRUCE, of whom further; IDA ALICE, born July 4, 1854, died 1881; WALLACE RESCUM, born November, 1856.
(IV) MORTIMORE BRUCE, son of JOSEPH (2) and MARY MARTHA McCURDY (PATTERSON) CAMPBELL, was born in Millerstown, now Chicora, Pennsylvania, May 20, 1852...
“JOHN PATTERSON, who is regarded as the ancestor of all Pennsylvania PATTERSONS, was born in 1640.Conditions in Scotland becoming intolerable, he sought a home in Ireland, locating at Londonderry with wife and two sons.Londonderry was shortly afterward besieged by JAMES II. with the English troops.They endured all the horrors of that siege, and it is said that in his old age JOHN PATTERSON used to repeat the story to his grandchildren, telling them never to forget to be thankful when they sat down to a table with plenty to eat.ROBERT, son of JOHN PATTERSON, had ten children, six of whom emigrated to America, four remaining in Ireland.From ROBERT came the early PATTERSON family of Pennsylvania, living in Bucks, Lancaster, and York counties and from whom sprang COLONEL ROBERT PATTERSON, the founder of Lexington, Kentucky, and ancestor of the PATTERSONS of Dayton, Ohio.From the four PATTERSONS that remained in Ireland, came a later immigration and among these was THOMAS PATTERSON, born in the north of Ireland in 1759, son of WILLIAM and SARAH DOUGLAS PATTERSON; she also of Scottish ancestry.The children of WILLIAM and SARAH DOUGLAS PATTERSON were: THOMAS, WILLIAM, JAMES, JOHN, ALEXANDER and SAMUEL, another record mentioning ROBERT and MARTHA.The latter married ---STEWART and had a daughter, NANCY, who resides in New Castle, Pennsylvania, aged ninety-nine years.Of the sons, THOMAS, JAMES and JOHN served in the (pg. 956) revolution, JAMES attaining the rank of Captain.THOMAS PATTERSON enlisted from Virginia and held the rank of captain (see Accounts of the Committee of Safety,” 1775-1776, p. 46, Saffels “Records of the Revolutionary War,” and “Counsel Journals,” 1776-1777, p. 136 Virginia Records).He served with GENERAL GREEN, was a scout with DANIEL BOONE and wintered with Washington at Valley Forge, and is said to have been presented with a sword by GENERAL WASHINGTON.He acquired title to a large tract of land in Kentucky, but fire destroyed his home with his title deeds and other valuable papers and all his household goods.After two years he returned to Pennsylvania, where he died in 1840 and was buried in the churchyard of the Wolf Creek Church in Butler county.He married and settled in the Ligonier valley, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania.His first wife was NANCY BLEAKLEY, and their children, ten in number, born in Ligonier valley, were: WILLIAM, JAMES, ISABELLA, JANE, MARGARET, AGNES, and four others.From the Ligonier valley, the family went to Booneville, Kentucky, where a branch of the earlier PATTERSONS had settled.He married (second) in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, in 1809, MARY MARTHA McVANNEN, born 1784, in Ireland, and came to this country an orphan with her grandfather, WILLIAM McCELVY, who settled in Union township, Westmoreland county, and she died in 1864, at the home of her daughter, MRS. MARTHA HOLLIDAY.Children of THOMAS PATTERSON and his second wife, MARY MARTHA (McVANNEN) PATTERSON: JOHN, born 1811, married HANNAH STOUGHTON; MARTHA, married SAMUEL HOLLIDAY; SARAH, born 1814, married JOHN LOCKE; THOMAS, born 1816, a soldier of the civil war; married BETSEY McCALMONT; MARY MARTHA McCURDY, of whom further; HANNAH, twin of MARY MARTHA McCURDY, married JAMES McCALMONT; SAMUEL, born 1820, married MARTHA VAUGHN; STEWART, born 1822, served in the civil war; BURTON, born 1824, married DELILAH VAUGHN; JOSEPH, born 1826, died young.After the death of her husband, MRS. MARY MARTHA (McVANNEN) PATTERSON was granted a pension on account of his revolutionary service.She died in 1864, surviving her husband twenty-four years.
MARY MARTHA McCURDY, daughter of THOMAS PATTERSON and his second wife, MARY MARTHA (McVANNEN) PATTERSON, was born in Lawrence county, Pennsylvania, May 30, 1818, and died the last survivor of her family, January 5, 1909, at Warren, Pennsylvania, aged ninety years and seven months.She was married in Butler county in 1835, to JOSEPH (2) CAMPBELL.Their son, MORTIMORE BRUCE CAMPBELL, married ZORENDA WILLIAMSON, and had a daughter, GERTRUDE CAMPBELL, who married JOHN CARLTON LOGAN (see CAMPBELL and LOGAN lines)...”
Title: Genealogical and personal history of the Allegheny Valley, Pennsylvania; under the editorial supervision of John W. Jordan. Vol. 1
Author: Jordan, John W. (John Woolf), 1840-1921.
“PATTERSON - This family is of Scotch origin, and the branch here considered has been seated in Pennsylvania for several generations.
(I) ROBERT PATTERSON, a native of Scotland, married MARY BALL.They were the parents of three children: ABRAHAM, who married MISS GOURLEY, emigrated to the United States and located in or near Bellefontaine, Lyon county, Ohio; DAVID, of whom further, and a daughter who married THOMAS HAYS, and remained in Scotland.
(II) DAVID, second child of ROBERT and MARY(BALL) PATTERSON, was born in Scotland.He was a weaver by trade, and went to Ireland, and made his home in the parish of Kalinsha, county Down.Before he removed there he married, about 1800, MARY, daughter of WILLIAM and ELIZABETH LESLIE; children: Robert (pg. 264), born May 31, 1803; WILLIAM, of whom further; ISAAC, ABRAHAM, JANE and DAVID.
(III) WILLIAM, second child of DAVID and MARY (LESLIE) PATTERSON, was probably born near Belfast, Ireland, about 1804 or 1805, as near as can be ascertained.He married ISABEL, daughter of JOSHUA and MARY (MONTGOMERY) COLEMAN.In 1822 a passage to the United States was bought for the entire family, but before their arrangements for the voyage had been completed all excepted the father (DAVID PATTERSON) were taken ill with typhoid fever.To the parents this affliction brought the conviction that their leaving their home was contrary to the wish of Providence, and they abandoned their purpose.However, WILLIAM and his elder brother ROBERT were not be dissuaded, and they proposed that if the father would provide for their passage they would go, and if they were pleased with the new country would send for the remainder of the family.WILLIAM PATTERSON settled in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, and became a successful farmer and merchant.He was a Presbyterian of the genuine Scottish type, and was zealous in promoting the advancement of the church at his new home.He assisted in building the first church of his denomination in Mercer county, and contributed liberally to its support throughout his life.In 1873 he removed to Allegheny City, where he died in 1889.To him and his wife were born eleven children.
(IV) ISAAC NEWTON, son of WILLIAM and ISABEL (COLEMAN) PATTERSON, was born in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, December 12, 1833...”
Title: History of Pittsburgh and environs, from prehistoric days to the beginning of the American revolution Vol. 5 / By George Thornton Fleming
Author: Fleming, George Thornton, 1855-1928.
(under ROBERT F. GRAHAM)
“(The PATTERSON line)
(I) PETER PATTERSON, grandfather of MRS. MARY ELIZABETH (PATTERSON) GRAHAM, was a machine manufacturer of Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, Scotland, and married ISABELLA BURNS.
(II) PETER (2) PATTERSON, son of PETER (1) and ISABELLA (BURNS) PATTERSON, was born May 12, 1842, in Jedburgh, Scotland, and received his education in the schools of Edinburgh and Glasgow.He became an expert in machine construction, emigrated to the United States, and settled in New York City shortly after the Civil War.He later was in Boston with the people who built the first tube mills in McKeesport, Pa., and in 1871associated himself with the National Tube Company of Pittsburgh, having charge of all their construction work.It was under his direction that their many enormous plants were erected.PETER (2) PATTERSON married MARY RAE, and their daughter, MARY ELIZABETH, is mentioned below.The death of MR. PATTERSON occurred October 30, 1912.
(III) MARY ELIZABETH PATTERSON, daughter of PETER (2) and MARY (RAE) PATTERSON, is now the wife of ROBERT FLEMING GRAHAM, as started above.”
Title: History of Washington County, Pennsylvania : with biographical sketches of many of its pioneers and prominent men / edited by Boyd Crumrine. Illustrated. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts and Co., 1882.
Author: Crumrine, Boyd, 1838-1916
...”JAMES PATTERSON, the elder, was born in Ireland in 1708, emigrated to America in 1728, and settled in Little Britain township, Lancaster Co., Pa.There he married and raised a family of ten children, five sons and five daughters.The sons were WILLIAM, JOHN, SAMUEL, JAMES, and THOMAS.The first-named son, WILLIAM PATTERSON, was born in 1733.He was twice married.His first wife was ROSANNA SCOTT, who died April 5, 1769.By her had these children: MARY, MOSES, SAMUEL, THOMAS, and JAMES.April 10, 1770, WILLIAM married his second wife, ELIZABETH BROWN, by whom he had ten children, - JOHN, ROSANNA, WILLIAM, NATHANIEL, RACHEL, ELIZABETH, JOSIAH, HANNA, NATHAN, and ELEANOR.In 1779, WILLIAM removed with his family to Washington County, Pa., and settled in Cross Creek township (pg. 740) upon a farm now owned by his great-grandson, R. M. PATTERSON, where he died June 29, 1818.His wife, ELIZABETH BROWN, died about the year 1828.Their son, “Gen.” THOMAS PATTERSON, was born in Lancaster County, Pa., Oct. 1, 1764, and was fifteen years of age when he came with his parents to Washington County.He was a farmer and miller, was a prominent and influential citizen, representing Washington County for a number of years in the United States Congress, and died Nov. 17, 1841.About the year 1795 he married ELIZABETH FINLEY, of Westmoreland County, Pa.She died Jan. 6, 1837.They had twelve children.Two died in infancy.Those who grew to manhood and womanhood were WILLIAM, JAMES, SAMUEL, MARY, JOHN, THOMAS, FINLEY, ELIZABETH, MOSES, and ROSANNA.
JAMES, the second son of GEN. THOMAS and ELIZABETH (FINLEY) PATTERSON, and whose portrait is here given, was born in Cross Creek township, April 24, 1798.His home was always in the township where he was born, and the principal business of his life was farming.But when a young man he was employed in his father’s mill, and was at one time engaged in merchandising.In 1837 he moved to the farm now the home of his son, T. M. PATTERSON, where he died Aug. 17, 1861.He was married June 29, 1820, to ELIZA WALKER, daughter of ALEXANDER and ELIZABETH (NORRIS) WALKER, of Cross Creek township.Their children were eleven in number.The oldest and youngest died in infancy.Those who grew up and married are ELIZABETH, the wife of RUSSELL T. JOHNSON; MARY, the wife of RICHARD WELLS; THOMAS M., married to SARAH J. BARBER, is a farmer in Cross Creek township; ALEXANDER W., married JANE HODGENS.He is a wool dealer, and resides in New York City; JANE, the wife of ROBERT MARQUES, died May 29, 1859, aged twenty-seven years; AMBROSE, married MARGARET A. RICHEY, and resides in Plattsmouth, Neb.; JAMES M., married ELEANOR CAMPBELL, and resides in Plattsmouth, Neb.; DAVID F., married MARY GARDNER, and is a lawyer, residing in Allegheny City; EMILY A., is the wife of SAMUEL LATTA, and resides in Cass County, Neb.
In politics JAMES PATTERSON was a decided Democrat, but not so well known in the party councils as his brothers, FINLEY, WILLIAM, and JOHN, who were members of the General Assembly of the State.Trained by a father who was proverbial for his honesty, his life was marked by strict integrity in all business transactions.As a business man, he was one of the successful in the county, winning wealth and position without sacrificing any of those exalted characteristics which betoken the honest man and pure citizen.For nearly thirty-four years he was a member of the Presbyterian Church of Cross Creek , Pa., and as Providence had put him in trust of ample means, he gave a liberal support to all the institutions of the gospel, especially to those schemes of benevolence in which the Presbyterian Church is engaged.During many painful and lingering months of sickness he was sustained and cheered by the promises of the gospel, and when he passed through the dark valley of shadow of death, the rod and staff of the Shepherd of Israel so comforted him that he feared no evil.”
“JOSEPH VANCE came to Smith township from Winchester, Va. in 1774...He lived to eighty-two years of age, and died March 6, 1832, and was buried at Cross Creek.He left six children.WILLIAM, who inherited the homestead, was a captain in the war of 1812, a member of the Legislature of Pennsylvania in 1815-16.He married RACHEL,a daughter of WILLIAM PATTERSON, the first of that family to settle in the county.She was born June 3, 1778, and died Jan. 9, 1817, leaving five sons, JOSEPH, JAMES, WILLIAM P., ALLISON, and DAVID, and four daughters, CYNTHIA, ELIZABETH, ANNA, and RACHEL....THOMAS WHITTAKER was a resident of this township before 1786....In the year 1806 two hundred acres of the farm was sold to JOSIAH PATTERSON...
JOSIAH PATTERSON emigrated from Path Valley, Cumberland Co., in 1806, with his wife and three children, - ROBERT, MARY, and ELIZABETH.He purchased (pg. 915) two hundred acres of land of the estate of THOMAS WHITTAKER, north of and adjoining Burgettstown.On this farm he settled and lived till his death in 1823, aged seventy years.His son ROBERT succeeded to the farm, and lived upon it till his death in 1861, aged seventy-six years.He was a surveyor by profession; a justice of the peace from Dec. 5, 1818 to 1834; an elder in the Presbyterian Church at Cross Roads (Florence), and was active in the organization of the Presbyterian Church at Burgettstown, of which he continued a member during the remainder of his life.At his death the farm was left to his son, JAMES L. PATTERSON, who lives in Burgettstown, and is prominent in the banking business.The children of ROBERT PATTERSON were JAMES L., MARY (the wife of the REV. JAMES T. FREDERICKS, of Burgettstown), JANE, the eldest child, who married WATSON ALLEN, and as his widow married JAMES EWING, of Washington, Pa.MARY, daughter of JOSIAH PATTERSON, remained unmarried, and died in Guernsey County, Ohio, about 1876, aged eighty-four years.ELIZABETH, another daughter, married EBENEZER SMITH, and lived for a time in Burgettstown.She later moved to Guernsey County, Ohio.”
...”From the records of the old Presbytery of Redstone....REV. JOSEPH PATTERSON was the first pastor.He received the call on April 21, 1789, and was ordained and installed Tuesday, Nov. 10, 1789.MR. PATTERSON was in many respects a remarkable man.He was born in the north of Ireland in 1752.At the age of twenty-five years he married and emigrated to America.After a short stay in Pennsylvania he settled in Saratoga County, N. Y.In 1774 his parents arrived in Pennsylvania, and he returned to this state.He is spoken of as a weaver, farmer, and school-teacher.In 1776 he was teaching near Philadelphia, and was present at the first public reading of the Declaration of Independence.He left his school and volunteered in the American army.After leaving the army he resided a short time in York County, Pa.In 1779, through the influence of JUDGE EDGAR, he came to Cross Creek, Washington Co.He was then a Seceder, with strong prejudice against the use of hymns in the worship of God.His neighbor, SQUIRE GRAHAM, succeeded in changing his views on that subject, and he became very fond of singing hymns....”
“JAMES PATTERSON was the first member of that family who settled in this country, having come to America 1728.His son WILLIAM was born in 1733, and in 1758 married ROSANNA SCOTT, of Cecil County, Md., by whom he had four sons and one daughter.His wife died April 5, 1769, and he was married a second time to ELIZABETH BROWN, April 10, 1770, a family of ten children being born to this last marriage.In the spring of 1778, WILLIAM PATTERSON, with two or three of his sons, came into Cross Creek township and settled upon a tract of land containing three hundred and fifty acres.Before coming here WILLIAM PATTERSON and two of his sons had seen something of military life, having been engaged in one or two campaigns in the Revolutionary war.During the summer following their advent into this township the PATTERSONS built a house, cleared some ground, and put in what crops they could, and in the fall all, except the son THOMAS, returned to the old home to bring out the rest of the family.During their absence THOMAS boarded with the widow, MRS. MARY PATTERSON, whose land adjoined with his entire family to Cross Creek township, and continued to live upon the land he had located until his death, which occurred in 1818 at the age of more than eighty years.
THOMAS PATTERSON, son of WILLIAM PATTERSON, was born Oct. 1, 1764.In 1794 he purchased land of his father, upon which he built a grist and flouring mill, the mill being situated upon the north branch of Cross Creek.At the same time he bought the property of the widow, MRS. MARY PATTERSON, whose land adjoined that of his father.WILLIAM PATTERSON returned with his entire family to Cross Creek township, and continued to live upon the land he had located until his death, which occurred in 1818 at the age of more than eighty years.
THOMAS PATTERSON, son of WILLIAM PATTERSON, was born Oct. 1, 1764.In 1794 he purchased land of his father, upon which he built a grist and flouring mill, the mill being situated upon the north branch of Cross Creek.At the same time he bought the property of the widow MARY PATTERSON (that upon which JOHN BOYCE now lives), and not long enlarged his estate by purchases from the WELLS tracts.Oct. 6, 1795, he married ELIZABETH FINDLEY, a daughter of HON. WILLIAM FINDLEY, of Westmoreland County, Pa.He had built a log house upon his land, in a part of which he kept a general store, but after his marriage the stock was removed to his mill, which was then in operation.In this log house THOMAS and ELIZABETH PATTERSON lived, and here their eleven children -eight sons and three daughters, -were born.MR. PATTERSON was very active in all church affairs, being an elder in one of the Cross Creek churches for many years.He also held all the commissions of militia rank to that of major-general, and during the last war with Great Britain organized and led a force into Ohio to repel a supposed British invasion.
He was a member of Congress from 1817 to 1825, being elected during the administration of JAMES MONROE, and was a member of the Electoral College in 1816.GEN. PATTERSON died of apoplexy Nov. 17,1841, aged seventy-seven years.His sons were WILLIAM, JAMES, SAMUEL, JOHN, THOMAS, FINDLEY, MOSES, and DAVID PATTERSON.The daughters were MARY, ELIZABETH, and ROSANNA PATTERSON.WILLIAM, the oldest son of GEN. THOMAS PATTERSON, was born Sept. 25, 1796.Upon him gradually devolved the management of his father’s extensive business interests.His wife was MARGARET, a daughter of HON. CARSON LYLE, of Cross Creek township...Of the other sons of GEN. THOMAS PATTERSON, JAMES, the second, was both a merchant and farmer at PATTERSON’S Mill.He died in 1860, and his son, THOMAS, JR., inherited the farm.SAMUEL PATTERSON, the third son, was also a farmer, and settled on the farm now owned by his son, ROBERT M. PATTERSON, which is a portion of the original CAPT. WILLIAM PATTERSON tract.SAMUEL PATTERSON made a specialty of sheep-raising and wool-growing, and was much interested and very successful in improving the quality of his wool.In 1846 he purchased a farm in Eastern Virginia, whither he removed with his family and died there.
JOHN, fourth son of GEN. THOMAS PATTERSON, removed from Cross Creek township to Armstrong County, in this State.He served one term in the State Legislature from that section.
THOMAS PATTERSON, the fifth son, married a daughter of RICHARD WELLS, and settled upon a portion of the old ALEXANDER WELLS homestead.Later he removed to Illinois, and thence to Nebraska.
FINDLEY PATTERSON, who was the sixth son of GEN. THOMAS PATTERSON, married a sister of HON. JOHN A. BINGHAM.He was the one selected from among the heirs to go to Armstrong County, Pa., to survey the large landed estate of his grandfather, HON. WILLIAM FINDLEY.In Armstrong County he became an extensive mill-owner, and also filled many important offices.He served three successive terms in the State Senate; also served in the Lower House of the Legislature, and twice elected Speaker; was appointed revenue commissioner in 1843.In 1850 he went overland to California, and spent a year there successfully.In 1857 he was appointed by the President receiver in the land office in Kansas, and held the position four years.Having returned to Washington County, he was, in the fall of 1878, elected a representative in the State Legislature from this county, and while there was an active member of several important committees.In whatever public or private business MR. FINDLEY PATTERSON has ever been engaged, he has always proved himself most thorough and efficient in its management.
JOSIAH PATTERSON, born Nov. 10, 1783, in Cross Creek township, was a son of WILLIAM PATTERSON by his second marriage.April 13, 1809, he married ANN TEMPLETON, and they had a family of ten children, - JOHN, WILLIAM, THOMAS, JOSEPH, NATHAN, ELIZABETH, ANN, DAVID, ESTHER, and RACHEL.JOSIAH PATTERSON was a farmer in this township, and died upon his homestead in February, 1843, aged sixty years.His sons JOSEPH and NATHAN still resided in this township,the latter upon his father’s farm, and WILLIAM and ELIZABETH (MRS. SMILEY) are residents of Mount Pleasant township.
NATHAN PATTERSON was also a son of WILLIAM PATTERSON’S second marriage.He was born Sept. 11, 1788, and Oct. 14, 1816, married LYDIA HOUSTON.They settled in Cross Creek township.Their children were DANIEL, WILLIAM, JOHN, NATHAN, and MARY PATTERSON.The father, NATHAN PATTERSON, SR., died in February, 1846, at fifty-eight years of age.The son, WILLIAM PATTERSON, is now living at PATTERSON’S Mills, in this township.DANIEL and MARY, who married MR. ATCHISON, removed to Iowa, and JOHN and NATHAN, who lived in Cross Creek township, died, leaving no descendants.MRS. HANNAH VANCE was a daughter of CAPT. WILLIAM PATTERSON by his second wife, ELIZABETH BROWN.She was born May 22, 1786, at the old PATTERSON homestead, near PATTERSON’S Mills.MRS. VANCE was the youngest of the PATTERSON family who emigrated to Cross Creek, and when she died, in May, 1879, she still retained her mental faculties in full.She was buried in Cross Creek Cemetery.Her husband, HON. WILLIAM VANCE, was a representative in the State Legislature from this county in 1816 and 1817.
Of WILLIAM PATTERSON’S first family of children, JOHN settled in Belmont, Ohio, from which place he was elected to Congress in 1822; SAMUEL, another son, was killed by the Indians in 1787, while he was boating flour on the WabashRiver to Vincennes, Ind.”
Title: History of Pittsburgh and environs, from prehistoric days to the beginning of the American revolution Vol. 4 / By George Thornton Fleming.
Author: Fleming, George Thornton, 1855-1928
pg. 11- vol. 4
“FRANK P. PATTERSON, a prominent member of the Pittsburgh bar, is a man who, after achieving success as a journalist, has found his true place and his true work in the profession of the law.MR. PATTERSON has thus far loyally made his native city the scene of his career, and in all that he has accomplished, has kept ever in view the promotion of Pittsburgh’s progress and welfare.
FRANK P. PATTERSON, son of JAMES W. (2) and MARGARET (CAMPBELL) PATTERSON, was born Sept. 17, 1876, on the South Side of Pittsburgh, Pa., and is a descendant of old residents.His father, in addition to other work in behalf of the city, supervised the construction of the Wabash-Pittsburgh Terminal railroad, also holding the offices of president and general manager of that road.
The early education of FRANK P. PATTERSON, was received in the Morse and St. Clair public schools and St. John’s Parochial School.In 1891 the family removed to the East End, and he attended the high school class in the Liberty School, entering the Pittsburgh High School in 1892, and graduating in 1896.Immediately thereafter, MR. PATTERSON threw himself into the arena of journalism obtaining a position as reporter on the Pittsburgh “Post.”During the ensuing two years his work was of exceptional value, showing an inherent aptitude for the profession he had chosen and an ability to rise into prominence in that field.This was proved by his resigning as reporter of the “Post” in order to become dramatic editor of the Pittsburgh “Times,” a position which he retained for a year and a half.At the end of that time the offer of the post of dramatic editor of the Pittsburgh “Dispatch” was made to him by EUGENE O’NEILL, then principal owner of that paper.MR. PATTERSON accepted the offer and retained the position under the ownership of COL. C. A. ROOK.During the latter years of his journalistic career the conviction grew and strengthened in MR. PATTERSON’S mind that, successful as he had been in newspaper work, his true sphere of action was the legal profession.Acting on this conviction, he applied himself, during the years of his connection with the “Dispatch,” to the study of the law, resigning his position in 1906.In 1907 he passed the State law examination and was admitted to the Allegheny county bar.Since that time MR. PATTERSON has assiduously devoted himself to the requirements of a large and constantly increasing general practice. His (pg. 12) work has lain principally in the field of real estate, and in the Orphans’ Court, where he has been connected with some very important litgation, one of the chief of these being the defeat of the actress, LAURA BIGGER, in her attacks upon the estate of HENRY M. BENNETT and PETER J. McNULTY.It is beyond all question that MR. PATTERSON made no mistake in applying for admission to the bar.His record as a lawyer has long since carried conviction to the minds of his legal associates and to the intelligence of the general public.
As a good citizen, MR. PATTERSON is earnestly devoted to the advancement of all that, in his opinions, has a tendency to conduce to the best interests of his native city.With the literary equipment of the journalist he combines the personality of the astute, sagacious, far-sighted attorney, accustomed to dealing with men, to penetrating their motives, and tracing their actions to their source.Of the possession of all these qualities, his countenance is expressive, and it also indicates a latent sense of humor and a kindliness and generosity of disposition, which never allows him to be unduly harsh in his judgment of his fellows, and which wins friends, irrespective of creed, profession, or nationality.MR. PATTERSON is a member of the Allegheny County Bar Association, the Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce, the Pittsburgh Athletic Association, and the Pittsburgh PressClub.He is also as a member of the Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church.
MR. PATTERSON married, June 7, 1900, BERTHA MOONEY, daughter of EDWARD G. and SARAH MOONEY, of the East End, Pittsburgh, and they are the parents of the following children: HELEN, ELIZABETH, VIRGINIA, MARTHA, FRANK P., JR., and WILLIAM R.MRS. PATTERSON is a woman whose qualities of mind and heart render her the congenial companion of her husband, and the presiding genius of a home where he passes his happiest and most restful hours.
Doubtless it was said, when MR. PATTERSON abandoned journalism for the law, that the latter profession had gained at the expense of the former.Time has proved the fallacy of this idea, showing beyond the possibility of controversy that the mental endowments and traits of character which belong to an ornament of the fourth estate have combined with those which go to the making of an acknowledged leader of the Pittsburgh bar.”
pg. 172 - vol. 4
“SAMUEL ROBERT PATTERSON was born in Ireland, and came to America with his parents in 1841 while yet this city was a negligible factor in the development of this region.The boy was educated in the public schools of Pittsburgh, then entered the coal business, and later became interested in the river business.Still later he entered the field of business activity which was to witness his success, the hay, grain and feed business.He put into it new methods and new vitality and materially contributed to the rapid increase of business in this line, which made Pittsburgh an important center of this interest.He established a partnership which included his son and for a short period other associates.Through all his career MR. PATTERSON exemplified the upright, fair-minded man of affairs, farsighted, efficient and self-reliant.He became a power among his contemporaries in the trade.For many years he was a member of Franklin Lodge, No. 221, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.He was a devout member of St. Peter’s Protestant Episcopal Church, of which he was junior warden at the time of his death.
SAMUEL R. PATTERSON died in Pittsburgh, Dec. 3, 1917, and with his passing Pittsburgh lost a man such as no city can afford to lose.Yet the memory of his clear-cut life, full of those activities which spell progress, will long continue a cherished influence in the lives of those who knew him.
ALEXANDER HILL PATERSON, whose business career is so closely interwoven with that of his father, was born in Pittsburgh, Oct. 13, 1861.He received his education in the public schools of the city, and the Central High School, from which he was graduated in 1878.He then began to work for his father in the hay, grain and feed business.Possessing to a great degree the same business ability which had made his father successful, the young man quickly adapted himself to the work at hand, and in 1879 the elder PATTERSON organized the firm of PATTERSON & GRIEST, both SAMUEL R. and ALEXANDER H. PATTERSON being members of the firm.Shortly afterwards MR. GRIEST sold out his interest in the firm to a MR. REIS, and until 1881 the firm name was PATTERSON & Company.The firm is one of the oldest in the city of its kind, being a pioneer in this line of trade, and in the hands of the PATTERSONS it has grown from small beginnings to its present great importance.ALEXANDER HILL PATTERSON is a member of long standing of the Pittsburgh Grain Exchange, and is a director of the Duquesne National Bank and the United American Insurance Company of America.Fraternally he is (pg. 173) member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and of the Knights Templar.
MR. PATTERSON married, June 13, 1889, in Pittsburgh, ALMA SCHAFER.They are members of St. Peter’s Protestant Episcopal Church, of which body MR. PATTERSON is junior warden.”
Title: History of Pittsburgh and environs, from prehistoric days to the beginning of the American revolution Vol. 4 / By George Thornton Fleming.
Author: Fleming, George Thornton, 1855-1928.
“SAMUEL PATTERSON, one of the leading contractors of the day in Pittsburgh, Pa., has reached his present position through his own efforts, and by reason of his unusual capability in the better grades of work has specialized on the construction of fine residences.
The PATTERSON family was a prominent one in Londonderry, Ireland, and MR. PATTERSON’S father was one of a large family of brothers.These brothers came together to the United States about 1840, locating mostly in the Middle West.SAMUEL, one of the brothers, spent his lifetime on the rivers of this region, working on steamboats plying these island waters.He married AMANDA J. JOHNSTON.SAMUEL PATTERSON died in 1859, the mother survives, and resides in Pittsburgh, and is now (1921) in her eighty-third year.
SAMUEL PATTERSON, the son, who has become one of Pittsburgh’s foremost men in construction lines, received a practical education in the public schools of Pittsburgh, and took night courses at Duff’s Business College, then, while scarcely more than a boy, struck out into the business world.A short experience in farm work convinced him that he would find greater satisfaction in other fields of effort.He entered the employ of the Westinghouse Air Brake Company, and while here his attention was attracted to the rapid growth of the city, and the significance of this increase in population to the building trades.Realizing that in the great organization of which he was a part he was only a cog in a wheel, and could look forward to little but mechanical routine, he decided to place himself where his natural business ability would count for individual and permanent success.Accordingly, he began an apprenticeship as carpenter, and learned the trade thoroughly.Gifted with the craftsmanship which takes delight in good work for its own sake, he soon placed himself out of the ordinary run of builders.For six years he followed his trade, then, in association with a partner, entered upon the contracting business, under the name of PATTERSON & SHAW.This endured for a time, with most gratifying results, when MR. SHAW’S untimely death robbed MR. PATTERSON of a partner who had been a congenial associate, a skilled workman and an able executive.
Since MR. SHAW death MR. PATTERSON has carried on the business alone, but out of deference to his partner’s memory has made no change in the firm name.As sole owner of the business he is making a noteworthy success.He employs often as many as thirty hands, but gives his own personal attention to every piece of work which he handles.Of recent years he has made such a remarkable reputation in the construction of beautiful residences that he has devoted his time largely to this line, and has built many of the fine residences of the city.With such a record as this behind him, and the future promising even broader activities along the same line, MR. PATTERSON may indeed be designated one of the representative men in the building trades in the Pittsburgh district.He is one of the oldest members of the Builders’ Exchange, and one of the Master Builders’ Association.
Politically, MR. PATTERSON is affiliated with the Republican party, and in the borough of his residence, Etna, Pa., has served the public with the same sincere and practical endeavor which will round out twelve years of public usefulness, has placed him at the present time on one of the most important committees of the council, that of Public Service and Engineering.
His services to the communities in which he is immediately interested have not limited to those above stated.He was instrumental in helping to bring about the permanent improvements in the way of paving, which now makes the road between Pittsburgh and Etna a delight to the motorist, and a substantial benefit to every property holder along this highway.
MR. PATTERSON married KATHERINE EICHENLAUB, daughter of MR. and MRS. EDWARD EICHENLAUB, lifelong residents of Etna, Pa., and they are members of the First English Lutheran Evangelical Church, and both have been very active in church work.”
Title: A century and a half of Pittsburg and her people / by John Newton Boucher ; illustrated. Vol. 3
Author: Boucher, John Newton, 1854-1933.
pg. 829 - vol. 3
THOMAS PATTERSON - A member of the Allegheny county bars since 1880, and senior member of the law firm of Patterson, Crawford, MILLER & Arensberg, THOMAS PATTERSON has long held a position of prominence in his profession.In 1843 the family was first represented at the Allegheny county bar, and the legal record that stands in the name is one of usefulness and distinction.
JOHN PATTERSON, the first ancestor of the family of record, is known to have lived during the latter part of the seventeenth century in the North of Ireland.ROBERT, his son, was born about 1685, and among his earliest recollections was that of the siege of Londonderry.He had two sons, JOSEPH and ROBERT.
JOSEPH PATTERSON, son of ROBERT PATTERSON, was born March 20, 1752, and about 1773 came to the American colonies, settling in Saratoga county, N. Y.Later he removed to Germantown, Pa., where he became a teacher in the schools.He was present at the first reading of the Declaration of Independence, at the door of the State House, and thereupon dismissed his school and enlisted as a private in the Continental army, serving in 1776-77.Afterward he migrated to York county, where he continued his work as a teacher, and also engaged in farming.In 1785, under the guidance of REV. JOSEPH SMITH, he began to study for the ministry, and on Aug. 12, 1788 was licensed to preach.On Nov. 10, 1789 he was ordained and installed pastor of the Raccoon and Montour Run churches, in Allegheny county.In 1816 ill health forced him to resign and he removed to Pittsburgh, where he continued to preach, also distributing Bible and tracts.When GENERAL LAFAYETTE, after an absence of forty years, visited the United States, he recognized MR. PATTERSON, who was five years older than himself, as a companion in arms during the War for Independence.MR. PATTERSON married (first) in Ireland, JANE MOAK, a native of that country, and (second) REBECCA LEACH, who was born in Pittsburgh.On Feb. 4, 1832, he closed his long, useful and eventful life, having served his adopted country as educator, soldier and minister of the gospel.
ROBERT PATTERSON, son of JOSEPH and JANE (MOAK) PATTERSON, was born April 1, 1773, in Saratoga county, N. Y., and in 1790 entered Canonsburg Academy, reciting his first lessons under the shade of large trees, the buildings being not yet ready for occupancy.In 1794 he entered the junior class of the University of Pennsylvania, where his UNCLE ROBERT was professor of mathematics, and in 1796 he began the study of theology.In 1801, after touring about four years, he was licensed to preach, and during the next six years ministered to two churches in the vicinity of Erie, Pa.In 1807 he moved to Pittsburgh and took charge of the Pittsburgh Academy, an institution which later developed into the Western University of Pennsylvania, now the University of Pittsburgh.From 1810 to 1836 he was in business as a bookkeeper, publisher and manufacturer of paper.From 1807 to 1833 he supplied the pulpit of the Pennsylvania church at Highland, seven miles north of Pittsburgh.It is worth of note that the “Manuscript Found,” supposed to have furnished the basis of the Book of Mormon, was left (pg. 830) at MR. PATTERSON’S printing house.MR. PATTERSON married JANE, daughter of COL. JOHN CANON, founder of Canonsburg, the place named in his honor.In 1840 MR. PATTERSON retired to the country, where he passed the remainder of his life.His death occurred Sept. 5, 1854, and two years later his widow passed away.
ROBERT PATTERSON, son of ROBERT and JANE (CANON) PATTERSON, was born Aug. 17, 1821, in Pittsburgh, and studied law under the preceptor ship of HON. THOMAS H. BAIRD.At the end of three years he was admitted, in October, 1843, to the Allegheny bar, and for three years more practiced his profession as the associate of JUDGE BAIRD.In 1840 he had graduated from Jefferson College, where he later filled the chair of mathematics.He was also professor in several colleges, including Oakland College, Mississippi, and Centre College, Kentucky.In 1863 he became joint owner and editor of the “Presbyterian Banner.”At one period in his life MR. PATTERSON performed military service in Kentucky, but during the Civil War his application for enlistment was rejected because of physical disability.In politics he was a Republican, and in religious belief a Presbyterian.MR. PATTERSON died Nov. 30, 1889.He was a man of more than ordinary ability and of unblemished purity of character.He married, Aug. 27, 1851, ELIZA, daughter of JUDGE THOMAS H. and NANCY (McCULLOUGH) BAIRD, and the following children were born to them: THOMAS, mentioned below; JANE and ELIZABETH.
THOMAS PATTERSON, son of ROBERT and ELIZA (BAIRD) PATTERSON, was born Nov. 14, 1856, and received his preparatory education in public schools, afterward entering the Western University of Pittsburgh.After his course at the university, when hew was graduated A. B. in 1876, A. M., 1879, he taught for two years at Sewickley Academy, and in 1879-80 studied at Columbia Law School.On Dec. 30, 1880, he was admitted to the Allegheny county bar, and has since been continuously and successfully engaged in practice in Pittsburgh.He is now (1921) a leading law partnership of Pittsburgh.In 1904 MR. PATTERSON was a government delegate to the Universal Congress of Lawyers and Jurists at St. Louis.
In 1906 the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania appointed him a member of the State Board of Law Examiners, a board composed of five members selected by the Supreme Court from the leading lawyers of the State, to pass upon the eligibility of applicants for admission to practice in that court; for some years he has been chairman of the board.MR. PATTERSON was chosen and served for one year (1906-07) as president of the Allegheny County Bar Association, and is a member of the American Bar Association.He is a trustee of the University of Pittsburgh, a member of the Pennsylvania Society of the Cincinnati, and adheres to the faith of his fathers as a member of the Leetsdate Presbyterian Church.He has done much to advance the best interests of his city, and his life has conformed to high standards in professional activity and citzenship.
MR. PATTERSON married, June 2, 1892, HARRIET W., daughter of D. LEET and MARY (WILLIAMS) WILSON.MR. WILSON, now deceased, was for many years president of the Fort Pitt National Bank, and vice-president and director of the Central District Telephone Company.He was a descendant of DANIEL LEET, a pioneer of Western Pennsylvania.MRS. WILSON is descended from DR. FRANCIS HERRON, a leading preacher of old Pittsburgh, and pastor of the First Presbyterian Church.MR. and MRS. PATTERSON are the parents of one son: ROBERT LEET, born Aug. 16, 1893.”
Title: A century and a half of Pittsburg and her people / by John Newton Boucher ; illustrated. Vol. 4.
Author: Boucher, John Newton, 1854-1933.
pg. 366 - Vol. 4
“The PATTERSON family - The first of the PATTERSON family of which this sketch treats was this sketch was the American ancestor, NATHANIEL PATTERSON (I), who was the son of JOHN or JAMES (it is not certain as to which name is correct), who with his brother came to America and settled in Virginia before 1729.NATHANIEL was born in 1729 and died in Mifflin township, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, 1795.He was a surveyor and accompanied Washington on his trip through western Pennsylvania, at the time the latter discovered and reported to the government authorities of Virginia the importance of building a fort at the “Forks of the Ohio,” in 1755.Later MR. PATTERSON acquired land in Mifflin township, Allegheny county, which he cleared up and lived upon the remainder of his days.This tract of land is still owned by his descendants.He married ELIZABETH BELL and to them were born sixchildren.NATHANIEL was a soldier in the Revolutionary war.
(II) ANDREW PATTERSON, son of NATHANIEL PATTERSON (1), was born in Mifflin township, Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, and died there in 1808, aged about fifty-five years.In his younger days he removed to Kentucky and there followed farming; subsequently he returned to Pennsylvania and settled in Allegheny county.He was in the Revolutionary war.He married MARY McNEIL, by whom several children were born, including: NATHANIEL, JAMES, ROBERT, ELIZABETH, MARY and others.
(III) NATHANIEL PATTERSON, son of ANDREW (2) and MARY (McNEIL) PATTERSON, was born in Kentucky in 1795 and died in 1877.He was a member of the Pittsburgh Blues in the Mexican war; served in the war of 1848 as major.At the time of the Civil war he was recorder of Allegheny county.At the time of the Civil war he was recorder of Allegheny county.He married a MISS WILLIAMS and they were parents of eleven children: JAMES W., ANDREW, NATHANIEL, ISAAC, ROBERT, MARY, who married JOSEPH RAMSEY, and of this union was born JOSEPH, JR., ALFRED and JOHN.JOSEPH RAMSEY, JR. was president of the Wabash Railroad Company; NANCY, married ROBERT C. DUNCAN, of whom later; MARGARET, JOHN W., AMELIA and --.
(IV) JAMES W. PATTERSON, son of NATHANIEL PATTERSON (3), married MATILDA McGUIRE and they had children: JAMES W., JR, see forward; CHARLES, died unmarried; AGNES, married DR. FRANKLIN N. STAUB, nine children.
(IV) JOHN W. PATTERSON, son of NATHANIEL PATTERSON (3), was born in 1835 in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania on the farm where his father settled on his return from Kentucky.In April, 1861, he enlisted in Company E, Thirteenth Pennsylvania Regiment of Volunteers, and was made captain of his company.In 1862 he was promoted to colonel of his regiment, which he commanded until his death, being killed in the battle of the Wilderness, while in command of his regiment, in 1864, when aged twenty-nine years. Grand Army Post, No. 151, on the South Side, Pittsburg, is named in honor of him.He married ALMIRA WENDT, daughter of FREDERICK WENDT (see WENDT sketch), who was one of the pioneer glass makers of Pittsburgh, residing on the South Side.They had three children: FREDERICK W., AGNES and MARY, all born on the (pg. 367) South Side, Pittsburg.After the death of JOHN W. PATTERSON, his widow removed to Beaver county and is still living at this date, 1908.
(IV) NANCY PATTERSON, daughter of NATHANIEL PATTERSON (3), married ROBERT CUNLIFF DUNCAN, who was the son of ANDREW (or THOMAS) DUNCAN, whose wife’s maiden name was CUNLIFF.ROBERT CUNLIFF DUNCAN followed mercantile pursuits for a number of years in Allegheny county, but later bought a farm in Beaver county, Pennsylvania, which he operated some time, and again engaged in mercantile life at Beaver Falls.He continued there but a short time and then gave up active business; he died at the age of seventy-two years.NANCY DUNCAN died in October, 1907, aged ninety-one years.They were the parents of seven children, as follows:
1. REV. THOMAS DUNCAN, married ELLA CRAIG, of Ohio.He is a Presbyterian clergyman and located at Perry, Oklahoma, and they have two children.2. ELIZABETH, married DANIEL W. SCOTT, now deceased, of Beaver county; he was a United Presbyterian minister.3. NATHANIEL DUNCAN, M. D., deceased, practiced in Beaver county and married MARY A. CRANNER.4. AGNES, married a MR. POTTER, now deceased.5. MARY, died in infancy.6. ROBERT CUNLIFF, JR., unmarried; read law in the office of GEORGE SHIRAS, JR., and was admitted to the bar in 1884, since which time he has practiced his profession in Pittsburg.In politics he is an independent Republican.He is a member of the Masonic order, Elks and the University Club. 7. JESSIE M., married CHARLES WILCOX and their children: CHARLES, JR., HOWARD, BERTHA, VIRGINIA and HELEN.
(V) FREDERICK W. PATTERSON, son of JOHN W. PATTERSON (4), was born in 1860, in South Side, Pittsburg, and moved to New Brighton in 1866, where he was reared.When he reached manhood he studied civil engineering and became a surveyor and was connected with the Pennsylvania, Lake Erie & Baltimore railroad companies for several years, after which time he became county road engineer for Allegheny county, serving in such capacity for nine years, since which time he has continued his profession as consulting engineer.He married MARY SEARIGHT, of Pittsburg, daughter of DAVID SEARIGHT, who bore him two children, born in Beaver county, JOHN W. and DAVID S.
(V) JAMES W. PATTERSON, JR., son of JAMES W. PATTERSON (4), was born May 13, 1847.He married MARGARET CAMPBELL (see CAMPBELL family sketch), and they were the parents of thirteen children, five of whom died under twelve years of age, and those who arrived at maturity are as follows: 1. GERTRUDE, married W. J. BURNS, and their children MARGARET, ELIZABETH, GERTRUDE, ANN, died at the age of four years, and JOHN.2. FRANK P., married BERTHA MOONEY and has children: HELEN, ELIZABETH and VIRGINIA.He was a graduate of the Pittsburg high schools in the class of 1896, and devoted the following ten years to newspaper work in Pittsburg and vicinity. During that period he studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1906 and is now following a general law practice.3. JAMES W., JR., married GENEVIEVE MORAN, and their children are: MARGARET, MARY, JAMES W. (third).4. JANE, married ROBERT MAXWELL MORRIS, and had child, MARGARET.5. JOHN, married EDITH LOUGHNEY, now deceased.6. HARRY.7. ANN.8. ELIZABETH.The last three named are unmarried.”