Gabriel Peavler was the younger brother of my g-g-grandfather. Jacob Peavler, III. and had two other older brothers, James and Henry, the oldest.They were the four sons and only children of Jacob Peavler, II. and Margaret (Stewart) Smith.This was a second marriage for both parents.Each had several children by their first marriage.
Gabriel was born 27 Jan 1813 in Sullivan Co., TN and died 18 Oct 1895 in the village of Spring Garden, Jefferson Co., IL.He was the longest living of the four brothers. His father died ca 1814 (according to Gabriel's published biography) in Norfolk, VA during the War of 1812, but this has not been confirmed.He was reared by his half-brothers and taught the trade of brick making and brick laying.At the age of 17 he went out on his own, moving to IN where he engaged in making and laying bricks for the National Road in Indianapolis, IN.
While in IN he met and married Nancy McKinney, daughter of Alexander McKinney, Sr. and Susannah Turner.They married 27 Nov 1834 in Washington, IN.He was age 21, she was 15, being born 23 Aug 1819 in Washington, IN.She died 18 Jan 1898 in Spring Garden village, Jefferson Co., IL.Both are buried in Thurmond Cemetery, aka "Tick Ridge Cemetery" or "Union Cemetery" located in Ewing Township, Franklin Co., IL.While living in IL, Gabriel was a large and wealthy land owner / farmer and owned a store in Spring Garden which was operated by an employed manager.
Gabriel and Nancy had11 children - 1. George Winfield Peavler, born 22 Feb 1836 in IN and died 21 Jan 1855.He was a preacher / teacher and never married.
2. Henry Peavler was born 4 Aug 1838 in IN and died 15 Sep 1891 in DuQuain, IL.He was a medical doctor and never married.
3. James Warren Peavler was born 20 Jul 1840 in Jefferson Co., IL and died 31 Dec 1891 in Jefferson Co., IL.He is buried in Fitzgerrel Cemetery, Jefferson Co., IL.During his lifetime he was a medical doctor of renown in Mt. Vernon, IL.He married Victoria Hagle on 4 Aug 1867 in Spring Garden.
4.Mary Jane Peavler was born 31 Dec 1842 in Spring Garden and died 31 Jan 1916.She is buried in Knowles Cemetery, Jefferson Co., IL.She married Jerry William "Billy" Fitzgerrel on 13 Feb 1862 in Jefferson Co., IL
5. Henrietta F. Peavler was born 3 Sep 1844 in Jefferson Co., IL and died ????.She married William H. Dorr.
6. William Clay Taylor Peavler was born 18 Oct 1846 in IL and died 21 Jun 1811.he is buried in Thurmond Cemetery. There may have been a first marriage to ??, but he did marry Susan Indiana (nee?) Piper on 23 Jan 1898.He may have been a teacher.
7. Lucy A. Peavler was born 23 Apr 1849 in IL and died 21 May 1881.She is buried in Fitzgerrel Cemetery.She married Thomas J. Bevis on 3 Dec 1865
8. Amanda Virduality Peavler was born 4 Jul 1853 and died 10 May 1877 (probably in childbirth?).She is buried in Thurmond Cemetery.She married Dr. Robert I. Taylor in 1876.
9. Alexnor S. Peavler was born 9 Jun 1855 and died 10 May 1877,She is buried in Thurmond Cemetery.She married Hezekiah Allen Dorr on 14 Apr 1872 in Jefferson Co., IL
10. Nancy Frances "Fannie" Peavler was born 20 Oct 1858 in Jefferson Co., IL and died 17 Oct 1925.She is buried in Fitzgerrel Cemetery.She married George W. Wills.
11. Gabriel Nathaniel Elmer Peavler was born 18 Feb 1862 in Jefferson Co., Il and died Oct 1937 in Los Angeles, CA.He married Mary A. Bain or Barr
I have copies of published biographical sketches for Gabriel and some of his desceendants as well as a published adventure of Alexander KcKinney and family when they came to Washington Co., IN from KY in early 1812.
If you will send your mailing address to email@example.com I will send you a copy, if you have interest, as well as additional information on the descendants of Gabriel and Nancy.