Source: "Our Kin" Bedford County Virginia Families: by Ackerly & Parker-printed C. J. Carrier Company, Harrisonburg, VA 1999: Bedford Co., VA Library & Museum has this book for sale at $75
page 183-184: George Penn, of Caroline Co., VA, brother of Moses Penn who married Catherine Taylor & were the parents of John Penn, the third Signer of the Declaration of Independence, married Ann (no surname given), prior to 1750, this George and Ann (--) Penn moved from Caroline County to Amherst--then Albemarle Co., VA, and were the progenitors of the Penns we find in Amherst at the beginning of the Revolutionary War.We have already seen that Gabriel Penn, of Amherst Co. deeded in 1764, land in Spottsylvania Co., VA.
Children of George & Ann (--) Penn:
1. Frances Penn, b. Jan. 9, 1735;married 1st Ambrose Lee, who died 1764, leaving her with three children: 1. Frank (Francis) Lee, 2. Richard Lee, 3. Nancy Lee.She married 2nd Drury Tucker, of Prince George Co., VA & died in 1812.She was Drury Tucker's 2nd wife, his first wife being Susanna Douglas.
2. George Penn, b. Dec. 12, 1737; his will on page 184, filed Feb. 5, 1790, Will Book No. 3, pg. 267, Amherst Co., VA, gives names of his ten children.No mention being made of wife.
a. Frankey Burton
b. Molly Harrison
c. Nancy Savage
d. Lucy Penn
e. Sally Penn
f. William Penn
g. George Penn
h. Wilson Penn
i. Thomas Penn
j. Moses Penn
3. Philip Penn, b. Jan. 27, 1739; had several daughters
4. Gabriel Penn, b. Jul. 17, 1741; married Sarah Callaway, d/o Col. Richard & Frances (Walton) Callaway, of Bedford Co.,VA. His Will on pg. 189-190, Will Book No. 1, pg. 255, Amherst Co., VA, gives names of his ten children:
a. Elizabeth (Betsey) Penn, married 1st James Callaway; 2nd Wm. Long.
b. James R. Penn, married Dec. 5, 1791-Mary Major; probably abt. 1818, James moved to Kentucky, settled in Taylor Co., where he lived & died.
c. Sophia Penn, married Wm. S. Crawford
d. Permelia Penn, married Thomas Haskins
e. Matilda Penn, married 1792, Abner Nash
f. Fannie Penn, married William White
g. Nancy Penn, married 1st Alex. Brydie; 2nd John McCredie
h. Edmund Penn
i. Sally Penn, married Thomas Crowe
j. Catherine Penn, married John W. Holder, her first cousin.
5. Abraham Penn, b. Dec. 27, 1743; married 1768, Ruth Stovall, d/o James and Mary (Cooper) Stovall, of Amherst Co., VA.Listed 12 children:
a. George Penn, married Miss Gordon and moved to New Orleans.
b. Lucinda Penn, married Samuel Staples
c. Gabriel Penn, married Jinsy Clark, of Patrick Co.
d. Horatio Penn, married Nancy Parr, moved to Missouri
e. Polly Penn, married Charles Foster, of Patrick Co.
f. Greenesville Penn, married 1st Miss Leath, of Manchester, VA; 2nd Martha Reed of Bedford Co., VA
g. Thomas Penn, married 1st Frances Leath of Manchester, VA; 2nd Mary Christian Kennerly, of Amherst Co.
h. Abram Penn, married Sally Kreitz (or Critz) moved to Tennessee.
i. James Penn, married 1st Miss Leath, of Manchester, VA; 2nd Mary Shelton, d/o William & Pattie (Dillard) Shelton.
j. Luvenia Penn, died young
k. Edmund Penn, married Pollie Ferris of Patrick Co. and moved to Kentucky.
L. Phillip Penn, married Louise Briscoe of Bedford Co., VA.
6. William Penn, b. Apr. 7, 1745. Never married. Lieutenant in Continental Army.His Will on pg. 188.
The will of William Penn, b. Apr. 7, 1745; died 1777; recorded in Will Book No. 1, pg. 355 of Amherst Co., VA.
Made will prior to entering the Continental Army.
Named (brothers) George Penn & Gabriel Penn as Executors. Left his possessions to his brothers, George Penn, brother Philip Penn, brother, Gabriel Penn, brother, Abraham Penn.
7. Moses Penn Jr., b. Jan. 13, 1748. Never married. His Will on pg. 187.Recorded in Will Book No. 1, pg. 268, of Amherst Co., VA.Named in will-brother, Philip Penn, niece and Godchild Parmelia Penn, daughter of my brother Gabriel, nephew and Godson, George Penn (son of my brother George), brother William Penn, nephew Frank Lee, nephew Richard Lee, Godson Ben Phillips son of William Phillips, niece Nancy Lee.Executors: brothers-George Penn & Gavriel Penn.