James Petry (1781-9 Dec 1865) was born in Rockingham County, VA. On 17 Aug 1802 in Monroe County, he married Mary "Polly" Lacy (abt 1786-20 Apr 1858), the daughter of William and Martha (Blankenship) Lacy. Summers and Mercer County members of this family are descendants of James. Mary was orphaned and chose Christian Peters as her guardian. James lived on a farm on Indian Ridge until he sold it to William Wiley on 25 Mar 1831. The farm, known locally as the ole Wiley Place, was located between Tom's Run and Lick Creek in now Summers County, WV. James then moved to the crossroads town of Pettry in Mercer County, WV, near Concord College in Concord Church (now Athens). After Mary's death, James at the age of 70 married Lydia Moss, a widowed daughter of Mary Carter, on 18 Apr 1859. They had no children. Lydia never remarried after James died, but instead after a number of years moved from the Pipestem area to Dry Creek where she lived and raised James' children for about eight years before returning again to the Pipestem area. James and Mary's 21 children including three sets of twins were James, Sylvester, Mary, Anna, William L., Martin, Tomsey, Mason Coffee, Ora, Elphirecy, Jacob, Betsy, Salie, Nancy Avner, Celia, Jane, Albertinna and Parthena.