My main goal during October was to finish the index to vol. II of my Pettus book, but I was only partially successful in meeting that goal. As mentioned in an earlier report, I used the indexing features built into Microsoft Word® to generate an index for vol. II automatically. Although this approach may ultimately save time in comparison with an alternate approach using databases for vol. I, it has also caused me a great deal of trouble. I spent a lot of the summer fixing problems that should not have occurred in the first place. Most of the problems relate to redundant headings and failure to alphabetize correctly. I also had to make some difficult decisions about how to distinguish members of the family with the same name. I finally finished fixing all but one major problem this past weekend. The remaining problem is that Word failed to include index entries from the endnotes. I am dealing with that problem now. I have found a procedure I think will enable me to create a separate index for the endnotes. Then I will have to figure out how to consolidate the two indexes into one. I expect this task to occupy most of my time this month.