On 7 Jan 1833 Levi PHILLIPS of Carroll Co., GA, age 81, filed an application for a Revolutionary War pension.He stated that he was born on 21 Sept 1751 in Cecil Co., MD and was residing in Rowan Co., NC when he initially enlisted on 25 Sept 1781 (four days after his 30th birthday).He also said that, after moving to GA, he lived in the counties of Oglethorpe and Putnam before relocating to Carroll.
Levi and his father, Reuben, both lived on the North Fork of the Little River (in a district later called Bowling Green) in Wilkes Co., GA while Levi's brother, Thomas, was situated on Sandy Creek of the Oconee River in Greene Co., GA.Later, both areas would fall into Oglethorpe County (1793 for Levi & Reuben, 1798 for Thomas).
After this, there followed a series of PHILLIPS marriages in Oglethorpe, and it hasn't always been clear as to whether the father of the bride or groom might be Levi or his brother Thomas.One of these was the marriage of James MAXWELL & Rachel PHILLIPS on 17 Aug 1803.Since both Levi and Thomas left Oglethorpe at different times and traveled in opposite directions to relocate, this may be a clue as to who was the father of Rachel.It would appear to be Levi because:1)Rachel's marriage (in Oglethorpe) occurred after Levi's brother Thomas was resettled in Jackson, Co., GA by deed date 24 Feb 1802 and 2)Rachel, apparently, moved southward with her husband to Putnam Co., GA as did Levi PHILLIPS.
James MAXWELL, the husband of Rachel PHILLIPS, may be the person of same name from Oglethorpe County who was a winner in the 1805 Lottery of land that, subsequently, became Putnam Co., GA.His 202 1/2-acre lot (#133 in District 4) was located on Glady Creek.(Today, this land, part of the Oconee National Forest, is situated near the Rock Eagle Monument which can be accessed from US 129/US 441/SR 24, once called "the Milledgeville road".)
At the time, an individual by the name of Giles TOMPKINS was busily engaged in trying to secure land in this part of Putnam County as evidenced by the many deeds on record.On 19 Nov 1812 he purchased half of lot #132 next to MAXWELL.One of the neighbors mentioned in the deed was Robert WALKER, and one of the witnesses to sign was Reuben PHILLIPS.Then the following month on 8 Dec 1812 TOMPKINS bought half of MAXWELL's lot (#133).Adjoining neighbors were given as "Mrs. PRICE, FINLEY and OGLETREE", and one of the witnesses was Jonathan MOSELEY.Apparently, James MAXWELL sold the other half of his lot to Moses FINLEY as FINLEY later sold 101 1/4 acres to Giles TOMPKINS.Neighbors named in the deed were "PHILLIPS, WALKER and OGLETREE".
Although the name of James MAXWELL, who later relocated to Morgan Co., GA, was absent from the 1813 tax digest of Putnam Co., GA, the names of Reuben PHILLIPS, Jonathan MOSELEY and Samuel BELLAH (connected by marriage to Thomas PHILLIPS, brother of Levi, Sr.) appear closely together in Capt. John WHITE's District, suggesting they were living near each other on Glady Creek.
A little further away in the same district was Levi PHILLIPS (Jr.) whose home was on Lick Creek, and the tax digest of 1820 would show that, by that time, his 55 acres had passed into the hands of his brother, Nathaniel H. PHILLIPS.The same digest also noted that their sister, Catherine PHILLIPS, and her husband, William DENSON, were also located on Lick Creek.As for Levi PHILLIPS (Sr.), their father, his name was found in Capt. Joseph SUTTON's District in the 1813 tax digest of Putnam.Tax records showed Levi, Sr. residing on Sugar Creek in a community known later as Harmony (not far from today's Harmony Baptist Church).All three creeks, Glady, Lick and Sugar, were located in the northern part of Putnam County near the Morgan County line (of GA).
Although the information is sparse, there exists the possibility that Reuben PHILLIPS (neighbor of James MAXWELL) was a son of Levi, Sr., and, if so, named after Levi's father, Reuben.Detailed genealogical data, alongwith DNA tests, have established that the ancestral line of Levi belongs to Group 02 of the PHILLIPS DNA Project.Included in this group are the results of a male who appears to be a descendant of Reuben PHILLIPS' grandson, Elisha Graves PHILLIPS (s/o Elisha).For additional information regarding the line of Reuben PHILLIPS (whose wife Fanny MOSELEY was probably the niece of the aforementioned neighbor Jonathan MOSELEY), see messsages on this website under the title of "Gone to Itawamba Co., MS from AL" (Parts 1 through 4, Addendum & supplementary messages).In addition to identifying Reuben's eleven children, there is also evidence to conclude that he was the Reuben PHILLIPS who journeyed to Texas before it became a republic and died on the way back home from Nacogdoches in 1835.
When Levi PHILLIPS, Sr. stated in his pension application that the documentation for his birthdate was at his (unnamed) son's home in Campbell County (GA), he was referring to Levi PHILLIPS, Jr. who owned and operated one of the ferries crossing the Chattahoochee River between Campbell County & Carroll County (where Levi, Sr. was now living).
In 1828 Campbell County was created from Coweta County where son Levi PHILLIPS, Jr. was known to be one of its earliest settlers.(His name appears on two Coweta grand jury lists for April & June 1827.)As a result of the 1827 Land Lottery, Levi, Jr. was able to purchase directly from the State fractional lot #163 in Coweta (Campbell) County consisting of 97 acres bounded by the Chattahoochee River.Then on 24 Jan 1829 he purchased water-side lot #59 in Carroll County from James N. WRIGHT.These two lots became the eastern & western landings for Levi, Jr.'s ferry operation (across the Chattahoochee).Fairly close to the westrn ferry landing (Carroll Co.) was the residence of Levi PHILLIPS, Sr. who lived in District 3 on lot #166 on the Snake River.(Later, both Levi, Sr., age 86, and Levi, Jr. sold this lot on 4 Jul 1837 to Uriah SPARKS.)
In 1833 Levi PHILLIPS, Jr. purchased in Campbell County a half portion of fractional lot #158 (192 acres) that adjoined his lot #163.The other half was owned by Irish-born James HUTCHESON who owned a country store that attracted patrons from across the river in Carroll County.After Levi, Jr. died (will, Campbell Co., GA, 24 Jan 1852/1 Mar 1853), his ferry operation was taken over by HUTCHESON, and "Phillips Ferry Road", situated on both sides of the river, then became known as "Hutcheson's Ferry Road".
Levi PHILLIPS, Jr., who married twice, appears to have been the father of nine children.While living in Putnam Co., GA, he was married on 13 Oct 1812 to Sally WILKINS (probably related to William WILKINS, an early settler of Putnam).Their children were Louisiana (or Laurina?) DILLARD; Henry; Delana "Delaney" HERREN of Randolph Co., AL; William-Wilkins of Pontotoc Co., MS; Levi-N, a merchant of Chickasaw Co., MS; Indiana JOHNSON; Sarah-R.Shortly after the birth of daughter, Sarah (circa 1831), Levi's wife, Sally, died.Levi's second marriage was to Elizabeth GILBERT (d/o James GILBERT & Elizabeth BLANCHETT dec'd) on 2 Feb 1832 in Henry Co., GA.Their two daughters were Elizabeth Ann HEFLIN of Randolph Co., AL and Delilah W. HINES of Campbell Co., GA.Based upon Levi's age of 63 in the 1850 census, he was born about 1787.Today his home still stands (on Hutcheson Ferry Road) in what is now Fulton Co., GA, and it is where he's buried in the family graveyard.
As for Nathan H. PHILLIPS, another son of Levi, Sr., very little information has been unearthed about him.He apears to have served in the War of 1812 as a Private in the 2nd Regiment (Jenkins) GA Volunteers & Militia.After the war, Nathan married Polly DILL on 30 Dec 1816 in Putnam Co., GA where he was found in both the 1820 tax digest as well as the 1820 census.His houselhold noted 1 male 26-45, 1 female 16-26, 2 boys 0-10 and 1 female over 45 (Polly's widowed mother?).He lived on Lick Creek near his sister, Catherine, and her husband William DENSON.He may very well have been the "Nathan H.PHILLIPS" of the town of La Grange, Troup Co., GA in 1840 and its coroner in 1841.
In 1880 Nathan H. PHILLIPS (as "Nathan PHILLIPS", widower) is found living as an 87-year old (b. 1793) in the home of Rev. Levi Phillips DENSON (as " P. DENSON") of Arbacoochee, Cleburne Co., AL.The head of household was the son of William DENSON & Catherine PHILLIPS, and in this census Nathan was identified as his uncle.Interestingly, the birthplace for both of Nathan's parents was given as PA, but it is known from the pension application of his father rhat Levi, Sr. was born in MD (in a county that bordered PA).Perhaps, the birthlace of Levi's wife was also in the same vicinity of MD.
After leaving Putnam Co., GA, Catherine PHILLIPS and her husband William DENSON settled in Walton Co., GA where he probably died after the 1840 census.The couple had 9 children:Thomas; Lydia; James; Levi-Phillips; Delilah; Permelia; Almeda; William-Cicero; Hillyer.In 1860 Catherine is found living in the home of her eldest son, Thomas DENSON of Caddo Township, Clark Co., AR.Although her age is given as 62 (b. 1798), this can not be correct as she was married in Putnam Co., GA on 5 Mar 1809.The 1820 census of the latter county placed her in the age category of 26-45.So, she was probably age 26 and born abut 1794.
There is another marriage in Putnam Co., GA which may also include a daughter of Levi PHILLIPS, Sr.However, this inference is purely speculative as nothing further has been found about Nancy PHILLIPS who married on 2 June 1813 a man apparently by the name of (Hiram) MARSHALL.Both the index page as well as the detailed narrative page of Putnam Co., GA Marriage Book 1808-1816 (which may be viewed on-line at the website of Georgia State Archives "Virtual Vault") show handwriting that makes it difficult to accurately determine the groom's surname.However, it is more likely to be "MARSHALL" as that was a family name known in the aforementioned community of Harmony where Levi PHILLIPS, Sr. was earlier located.
Although it may be pure coincidence, the marriage of Hiram MARSHALL (?) & Nancy PHILLIPS was performed by James ESPEY, a justice and next-door neighbor of Levi PHILLIPS, Sr. (as seen in the 1820 tax digest).Since no other information has been seen about this couple, their lives might have been short-lived.Possibly the three youngsters (boy 15-20, boy 10-15, girl 5-10) living in the 1830 Putnam County household of Levi, Sr. and his wife were the children of Hiram & Nancy.
Levi PHILLIPS, Sr., Revolutionary Soldier of NC, was 88 years old when he died on 14 Jan 1840.A website called LOCATEGRAVE says he was buried at Old Macedonia Baptist Church cemetery in Newnan, Coweta Co., GA.However,
another popular website, FINDAGRAVE, places the church in Roscoe which is closer to the FultonCounty line and nearer to the homeplace of his son, Levi,Jr.However, could it be that Levi PHILLIPS, Sr. was buried in the family graveyard on his son's property?Whatever it happens to be, there is a Revolutionary War Veteran's gravestone erected in his honor at the Andrews Chapel United Methodist Church Cemetery in Newnan, Coweta Co., GA (that can be viewed at the FINDAGRAVE website).