There was a Nancy W. Pinnick, born 1826 in Orange Co., Indiana.She was one of 14 children born to John Pinnick and Sarah Jane Garnett Dickerson. "Colonel" John Pinnick was born February 26, 1786 in Stanford, Lincoln County, Kentucky.He was the son of James and Elizabeth (Faris) Pinnick.John is believed to have been the third child.On November 30, 1793 he married Sarah Jane Dickerson who was born August 18, 1793 to a prominent famly of Albemarie County, Virginia.
In 1808, John, Sarah and his younger brothers, William (18), Nathan (17) and James Jr. (13) loaded their wagon to move to Orange County, Indiana.The five arrived in a few weeks and built a log cabin located near a spring, about one half mile east of Ballard Corner, between West Baden and French Lick.John built a larger, two story cabin in 1828.
John took the first U.S. Census of Orange County and was a leading citizen.He operated a whetstone, saw mill, distillery and grist mill as well as serving as Road Superintendent, Justice of the Peace, Lieutenant Colonel in the Thirteenth Regiment of the Indiana Militia, Trustee of the County Seminary Fund and was instrumental in establishing the first schools in the county.The Pinnicks felt that an education was essential for their children, and always scraped together enough for the "subscription fee" for their children to attend school.He was called "Colonel" in private life as a title of respect for his rank in the State Militia.
The couple had fourteen children and each one was welcolme.They were heart broken in 1829 when a fever swept through the county and seventeen year old James D. died.Sarah was pregnant and when her new son was born they named him "James" also.On December 13, 1839, their Lucenda Died on her 22nd birthday.In 1854 a fever struck again, taking their 31 year old Sarah, as well as the two children of Rosanna and David Lambdin, 20 year old Sarah and 18 year old Isaiah Lambdin
Colonel John died February 5, 1862, and Sarah Jane died March 13, 1863.They are buried in the Old Baptist Meeting House Cemetery which is located about two miles east of Ballard Corner.