George Plumer Jr.
George Plumer was born in the borough of West Newton, Westmoreland Co., Pa., May 11, 1814, the only son of Alexander and Susan (Robinson) Plumer.Losing his mother when but three months old, George Plumer lived with his grandparents on the old homestead farm until he was ten years old.He then entered his father’s store, where he was employed as clerk, and was in other ways connected with his father’s business for thirteen years.In 1837 he went to Pittsburgh, wherefor a time he was clerk in the wholesale dry-goods store of Carter Curtiss.Owing to the panic caused by the suspension of payments by the banks his engagement with this firm was short, and he returned to West Newton, where he again became interested with his father in merchandising and in the manufacture of salt.In 1850 he leased the tannery in West Newton owned by the Hon. John Klingensmith for three years, and upon the death of the latter purchased the tanner and carried it on till 1867, when he sold it to H. Croushore, its present owner, and purchased a farm in and adjoining West Newton, in the carrying on of which, together with the business of natary public, he now chiefly occupies his time.His present fine residence on Main Street, West Newton ( a representation of which appears on another page of this volumn), he built in 1873.
He married, April 17, 1860, Lucretia, daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth (Turney) Cor. Mrs. Plumer was born Oct. 26, 1826, in Hempfield township, Westmoreland County.Her father was born March 5, 1780, in South Huntingdon township; her mother in Hanover township, Montgomer Co., Pa., April 15, 1786.Her father died May 31, 1859; her mother February, 1860.They had fourteen children, seven sons and seven daughters, all but three of whom are living, are married, and settled in Pennsylvania, Illinois, Iowa, and Colorado.
Mr. And Mrs. Plumer have no children, unless indeed, the church and the church’s poor may be called such, for to theseit may be truly said they have been both “father and mother”.They have been members of the West Newton Presbyterian Church over thirty years, and during tht time have been closely identified with its every “good word and work.” With an interval of but two years, for the last fifteen years Mr. Plumer has been its Sabbath-school superintendent.He was the heaviest contributor in the erection of their fine church edifice, built at a cost of twenty-two thousanddollars, and was chairman of the building committee, and spent the most of his time, gratuitously, for two years in personally overseeing its construction.Mrs. Plumer has been a teacherin the Sabbath-school during her connection with the church, and for the last year has had charge of the infant department.For many years she has been leader of the choir and its organist.By their contributions to their funds,Mr. And Mrs Plumer have been made life-members of both the American Bible Society and the Board of Foreign Missions of the Presbyterian Church of the United States.They are also contributing two hundred and fifty dollars yerly to the support of a home missionary in one of the Western Territories.
In politics Mr. Plumer is an ardent supporter of the principles of the Republican party, and has always taken an active part in forwarding its interest.He has been called to fill most of the public offices of the borough.All public improvements have found in him a friend andliberal supporter.Indeed, in all qualities which constitute the goodcitizen it may be truly said of him, he is a “worthy scion of a noble stock.”