Marvelyn, this is all that I have on your line.I have a good deal more on the Poulters in general.Would be happy to hear from you, especially by e-mail.
I have not been able to go back further that William Poulter of Culpeper Co., Va.
My wife is a descendant of Bluford Poulter and Mary Ann Yates.
William Poulter died in about 1806 in Culpeper Co., Va.His children are all by his first wife, whose identity is unknown.He married second Mrs. Jane (Marder[s]) Willis
1. John Poulter, b. ca. 1762, Va., d. ca. 1845, Mercer Co., Ky., m. 24 Jan. 1786, Orange Co., Va., Patsy (Martha) Ransdell, daughter of William Ransdell and Ann Petty.Moved to Mercer Co., Ky. probably around 1795.
2. Elizabeth Poulter, m. 1 Nov. 1786, Culpeper Co., Va., William Kelly.Moved to Mercer Co., Ky.See in a later section for more on this family.
3. William Poulter, m. 25 Dec. 1788, Culpeper Co., Va., Nancy Marders, daughter of Rowley Marder(s) and Elizabeth.Moved to Jefferson Co., Ky.See later in this account for a sketch of the William Poulter Jr. family, taken almost completely from the research of May Speierman.
4. Eleanor Poulter, m. Culpeper Co., Va., Caleb Sims, b. ca. 1769, Va., d. ca. 1854, Mercer Co., Ky., son of Thomas Sims and Mary Nalle (Record in Culpeper does not mention marriage date, but it is filed among marriages for 1792-95.)They moved to Washington Co., Va. and then to Mercer Co., Ky. by 1811.
The children of John Poulter and Martha (Patsy) Ransdell, daughter of William Ransdell and Ann Petty
A. William Poulter, b. ca. 1788, probably Culpeper Co., Va.
B. Joseph Poulter, b. ca. 1790, probably Culpeper Co., Va.
C. Bluford Poulter, b. 1792, probably Culpeper Co., Va.
D. John Poulter, b. ca. 1796, Ky.
E. Eleanor Poulter
F. Nancy Poulter
G. Ransdell Poulter, b. 1801, Ky.
John Poulter was born at Bohon, Mercer Co. Ky., in about 1794-96 and died September 1863.He was buried in the Trisler cemetery near his farm.The census records say that he was born in Kentucky, so it is not likely that he was born as early as 1794, since it appears that the Poulters and Ransdells arrived in Kentucky in 1795.On 12 April 1817, Mercer Co., Ky., he was married by the Rev. J. Cosat to Mary Threlkeld, who was born in Virginia in about 1798 and died in 1849 near Bohon, Ky.John inherited a portion of his father's estate on Thompson's Creek and was very probably a farmer.At the time of the 1860 census he was living with his son Flavius Josephus Poulter.His children were all born at Bohon.
1. William Ransdell Poulter, b. 29 Apr. 1818, d. 21 March 1898, Bohon, Ky., m. 30 Jan. 1840, Mercer Co., Ky., Eliza Ann McRay, b. 4 Sept. 1817, d. 17 Dec. 1874, Bohon, Ky., dau. of Isaac McRay.He m. (2) Mattie Smith, b. ca. 1843.
2. John Poulter, d. 1849, unm.
3. Minerva Poulter, b. ca. 1820, d. ca. 1846, m. 23 Nov. 1837, Mercer Co., Ky., Thomas Norton, b. ca. 1820.He married (2) her sister Mary.
4. Martha Poulter, b. ca. 1823, m. 18 Aug. 1844, Mercer Co., Ky., Harrison Vincent Anderson, b. ca. 1822.
5. Mary Poulter, b. ca. 1830, m. (1) 24 March 1848, Mercer Co., Ky., Thomas Norton, widower of her sister Minerva, (2) William Quinn.
6. Elizabeth Poulter, unm.
7 Louise Ann Poulter, b. ca. 1832, m. 8 Jan. 1849, Mercer Co., Ky., Thomas C. Montgomery.
8. Flavius Josephus Poulter, b. 10 Sept. 1834, d. 6 Aug. 1900, bur. Grapevine Christian Ch., Mercer Co., Ky., m. (1) Mary Frances Jenkins, b. 30 Sept. 1845, d. 8 Oct. 1865, bur. Trisler family cem., (2) 1866 (bond 30 Apr.), Mercer Co., Ky., Mary Ellen Massie, b. 27 Apr. 1836, near Bohon, d. 15 June 1891, bur. Bohon Christian Ch. cem.Only the first child is by the first marriage.I also have an indication that Flavius was b. 1 Jan. 1834 and d. 16 Jan. 1895.These conflicting dates for Flavius should be checked.
9. Ellen Poulter, b. 10 Aug. 1837, d. 14 Feb. 1889, bur. Trisler family cem., Mercer Co., Ky., m. 27 Aug. 1858, Mercer Co., Ky., William Royalty.
10. Milton D. Poulter, b. 14 July 1841, m. 3 Sept. 1872, New Albany, Ind., Mary E. James.
11. Catherine Poulter, b. ca. 1849.
Descendants of Minerva Poulter (ca. 1820-ca. 1846) and Thomas Norton
a. Mary Jane Norton, b. Sept. 1837.If this birth date is correct, she was born before her parents' marriage.
b. James W. Norton, b. 14 June 1840.Lived in Ashley, Ill.
c. Martha Norton.
d. William Norton.
e. W. D. Norton.Lived at Centralia, Ill.
Descendants of Mary Poulter (1830-) and Thomas Norton and William Quinn
a. John H. Norton, b. 12 Apr. 1849, Mercer Co., Ky.Lived in Indianapolis, Ind.
b. William Thomas Quinn, b. 10 Dec. 1854, Duncansville, Mercer Co., Ky.
c. Josephus Quinn, b. 27 March 1857, Irvan's Tanyard, Mercer Co., Ky.
d. James Quinn.
e. George Quinn.
f. Ella Quinn.
g. Anna Quinn.
h. Margaret Quinn.