Right now, I have this much on the computer on the Simses.If you would like to see more detail or have any particular line that you'd like brought down a little further, e-mail me, and I'll be trying too find them.
Eleanor Poulter and Caleb Sims
As was true of the Ransdells, Kellys, and Poulters, they lived on Thompson's Creek, where Caleb built a mill.Caleb m. (2) on 5 March 1845, Mercer Co., Mrs. Armilda (French) Clark, by whom he had Caleb Jr. and Joshua.By Eleanor Poulter, Caleb had the eight children below.The Sims family will not be treated extensively here, but an account may be found beginning on page 20 of Lela W. Prewitt, Ancestors and Descendants of Thomas Sims of Culpeper Co., Va., Fairfield, Iowa, 1973.This book is available in the library of the Kentucky Historical Society, Frankfort, Ky. and in the Harrodsburg Historical Society library.It is seemingly very well researched.There are still numerous Sims descendants in the Mercer Co. area.They may also be in adjoining Washington Co., where one must be careful not to confuse them with the descendants of Marmaduke Semmes of Maryland, who most often spell their name Simms.
Caleb Sims, b. ca. 1769, d. ca. 1854, was the son of Thomas Sims and Mary Nalle, the latter from Culpeper Co., Va.It is not known exactly when Caleb and Eleanor came to Kentucky, but they sold land in Culpeper Co. in a deed made in 1806 and recorded in 1817.They were certainly still there in October 1809, when they joined with the ones in Kentucky to sell the land they had inherited from William Poulter.Caleb first appears on Mercer Co. tax lists in 1811.By 1825 he had 700 acres on the waters of the Chaplin River.
a. Lucinda Boston Sims, m. 5 Dec. 1814 (bond), Mercer Co., Ky., William Cunningham, son of Francis Cunningham and Jane _____.
b. Garland Sims, b. 15 Feb. 1796, Va., d. 21 May 1881, m. (1) 19 July 1819, Nancy Mann, b. 14 Feb. 1792, d. 16 May 1851, by whom nine children, (2) Mrs. Elizabeth (Horn) Hale, b. 10 Sept. 1815, d. 7 May 1880, by whom two children.Garland and Elizabeth are bur. at the Grapevine Christian Church, Mercer Co.
(1) James Madison Sims, b. 15 Feb. 1819, d. 15 June 1899, m. 24 Nov. 1840, Mercer Co., Ky., Margaret Hendren, b. 4 Apr. 1824, d. 12 July 1890, dau. of Nimrod Hendren and Polly Bucknell.They appear with five children in the 1850 census of Mercer Co.
(2) William Hamilton Sims, b. 11 Aug. 1820, d. 24 June 1850, m. 1 Aug. 1845, Washington Co., Ky., Amanda Prather, b. ca. 1821.They do not appear in either Washington or Mercer Co. in 1850.
(3) Mary Elizabeth Sims, b. 18 Dec. 1822, d. 18 Sept. 1854, m. 30 June 1841, Mercer Co., Ky., Henry Johns(t)on.They appear in the 1850 census of Mercer Co. with a son and a daughter.
(4) Andrew Jackson Sims, b. 12 May 1824, d. 31 Dec. 1900, m. 19 June 1849, Mary Elizabeth Davenport, b. 8 Oct. 1828, d. 21 Oct. 1877.They appear in the 1850 census of Mercer Co. with one son, James
(5) Beverly Mann Sims, b. 29 Nov. 1825, d. before 1889, m. 8 Dec. 1846, Mercer Co., Ky., Amanda Foster, dau. of William Foster.They appear in the 1850 census of Mercer Co. with two sons, William and Garland.
(6) Harvey Robinson Sims, b. 25 Oct. 1827, d. 24 Jan. 1904, m. 11 Dec. 1856, America Savanah Davenport, b. 17 May 1841, d. 15 Apr. 1888.Their son William m. Martha Alice Poulter.See above under Poulter.
(7) Martha Ann Sims, b. 27 Apr. 1830, d. 18 March 1891, m. 27 March 1848, Abraham Gundy Davenport, b. 18 Dec. 1822, d. 6/9 March 1896.They appear with one child, Arthur, in the 1850 census of Mercer Co.
(8) Nancy Elin Sims, b. 9 Aug. 1832, d. 17 July 1854, m. 25 Aug. 1853, Mercer Co., Ky., John Davenport.
(9) Garland Merritt Sims, b. 20 Apr. 1834, d. around turn of the century, m. 3 Sept. 1855, Margaret Carey, by whom first and only known child, who d. age 7, (2) Sarah (Sack) Cunningham.
(10) Lucy Jane Sims, b. 8 July 1853, d. 29 June 1930, m. 14 Oct. 1880, Chesley Noel, b. 13 May 1857, Ind., d. 10 Sept. 1946.They appear in Mercer Co. censuses
(11) Amanda Frances Sims, b. 10 Feb. 1855, d. 31 May 1911, m. 18 Dec. 1873, George William Shewmaker, b. 27 Nov. 1849, d. 7 Dec. 1931.
c. Armsted Sims, b. 1797, m. 5 Aug. 1819, Washington Co., Ky., Lucy Jane Davis, b. ca. 1800.They appear in the 1850 census of Mercer Co. with no children.
d. Lawson Sims, b. 9 Oct. 1801, Culpeper Co., Va., d. 18 Dec. 1848, m. Sarah Rice, b. 30 May 1805, d. 18 Feb. 1850, dau. of Michael Rice and Sarah _____.Both are bur. in Sims family graveyard, between Duncan and Bohon, Mercer Co.Dates of birth of some of their children not known.
(1) Solomon Sims, b. 1 Apr. 1829, death date portion of tombstone broken, m. 7 Apr. 1853, Amanda M. Sims, b. 25 Dec. 1843, d. 25 Jan. 1919.They have four children in the 1870 census of Mercer Co.
(2) Alfred/Alford Sims, b. 30 Apr. 1830, d. 3 Oct. 1909, m. S____ A____.They had twins, b. and d. 1 March 1852.Twin?
(3) Garland Sims Jr., b. 20 Apr. 1830, d. 31 July 1867, bur. Sims family graveyard, Mercer Co., Ky.Twin?
(4) Joseph Sims, b. 30 March 1833, d. 8 March 1916, m. 9 Oct. 1855, Armelda Reed, b. 22 Oct. 1833, d. 25 Feb. 1919.They appear in the 1900 census of Mercer Co. with a daughter Sarah Jenkins, b. ca. March 1860.Six of Armelda's seven children are living.
(5) Elijah Sims, b. 13 Dec. 1833/35, d. 22 Dec. 1868, m. Amanda Reed.
(6) Daniel Sims, b. 16 Jan. 1842, d. 4 July 1864.
(7) William Sims, m. 31 Dec. 1857, Mercer Co., Ky., Mary Jane Wright.
(8) Jane Sims, m. 1860, Mercer Co., John I. Young.
(9) Susan Sims, m. 4 Sept. 1861, Mercer Co., Ky., Elijah Brown.
(10) Margaret Sims, m. 21 Sept. 1869, Mercer Co., Ky., Robert A. Reed.
e. Mary Sims, b. 1800-1810, m. 1823, Mercer Co., Ky., Milow Gritton.
f. Elizabeth Sims, m. 7 May 1828 Mercer Co., Henry Atkins or Atkinson.
g. John Sims.No information.
h. Leo Sims.No longer in Mercer Co. after 1860 census.
When you have time I'd really appreciate corresponding with you so that I can add your line to my Poulter history.