I have updated my notes on Eugene Pradat. Trying to confirm that Eugene F. Pradat and Eugene C. Pradat are the same person. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
1850 Census Mississippi – Harrison County, Biloxi – Page 91 – dwelling 231
Pradat, Pierre W M65 home$30,000 France
Elizabeth W F60 France
John M. W M40 France
Notes:- $30,000 makes Pierre a wealthy man. Living next door to the Green Oakes Hotel. Eugene and John B. are running the Hotel in 1860. Pierre is probably the owner.
1850 Census Mississippi – Harrison County, Biloxi – Green Oaks Hotel – 92– dwelling 232
Pradat, Eugene W M 26 none LA
Louisa C. W F22 Indiana
Georgiana W F 3 Miss
Adolph W M 6/12 none Miss
John B. W M 22 LA
Louisa A. W F 18 LA
Laurie, John W M 22 England
Elizabeth W F 18 LA.
Note: 1. Eugene, John B. and Louisa A. must be siblings due to the ages.
2. Eugene, John and Louisa were born in Louisiana.
3. In New Orleans there is a death record which reads as follows:
Laurie, John,Widow born Pradat32 yrsF W3/13/1865 Vol29page 237
The DOB matches and Elizabeth is a Pradat. Could be a sister to Eugene and John?
1860 Mississippi – Harrison County – Biloxi – July 10, 1860 – page 377 – dwelling 73
Pradat, E.C. W M35 Inn Keeper $1000 LA
Louisa W F30 Indiana
Georgiana W F12 Miss
Adolph W M10 Miss
Sarah W F8 Miss
Eugene W M7 Miss
Cora W F5 Miss
Oscar W M2 Miss
Davis, A M25 Gardner France
Marks, Alex M35 Porter France
Chevron, Michael M25 Cook France
?vain, William M24 Steward Ireland
Notes: 1. Eugene is an Inn Keeper living in dwelling 73 and his brother John B. is also an Inn Keeper living in dwelling 71. Green Oaks Hotel In Biloxi, Mississippi.
1870 Census Louisiana, June 1870 New Orleans, La.Page 211, dwelling 129
Pradat, Eugene W M47 clerk in commissary LA
Louisa W F42 keeping house Indiana
Georgiana W F20 at home Miss
Cora W F11 at school Miss
Eugene W M16 at school Miss
Adolph W M18 at home Miss
Oscar W M10 at school Miss
Joseph W M8 at school Miss
Henry W M4 at home LA
Sidney W M1 at home LA
Jackson, Ellen BF21 servant LA
Notes: 1. Between 1860 and 1863 Eugene Pradat moved his family from Biloxi, Mississippi to New Orleans, Louisiana. We can narrow the time down because Rebella was born in New Orleans in 1863.
2. Rebella Pradat born November 12, 1863 (per birth records) does not show up on 1870 census.
3. Henry and Sidney are the only children of Eugene and Louisa born in New Orleans.
1880 Census LouisianaJune 1, 1880Ward 2New Orleans, La. Dwelling 12
Living on Franklin Street
Pradet, E.C. W M 56 Cotton Weigher LA. France France
Bella W F52 Wife Keeping House LA. FranceIndiana
Aleck W M30 Son Clerk at Cotton LA. LA LA
Eugene W M26 Son Clerk at Cotton LA. LA LA
Oscar W M21 Son Clerk at Store LA LA LA
Joseph W M19 Son Clerk at Store LA LA LA
Bella W F16 Dau at school LA LA LA
Henry W M 13 Son at school LA LA LA
Broker, Sarah W F29 Dau at home LA LA LA
Viola W F10 Granddau at home LA LA LA
Edward W M6 Grandson at home LA LA LA
Frank W M9 Grandson at home LA LA LA
Nicol, Georgiana W F32 Boarder Miss LA LA
John W M32 Boarder Drayman clerkLA Scot Scotland
Notes: 1. Eugene C. and John B. (brothers) are living next door to each other. John in dwelling 11 and E.C. in dwelling 12.
2. One puzzling problems is Eugene’s wife name. She is using Lousia on the 1850-1870 censuses and on the 1880 census she is using Bella. On the 1850-1870 censuses Louisa is born Indiana. On the 1880 census Bella is born in LA and mother born in Indiana. Keep in mind census takers were not well educated or trained and problems arose with language barriers. Mistakes are often made on the censuses. Could Bella be a nickname? Keep in mind she had a daughter named Rebella and Louisa’s maiden name is Ruble.
3. Bella (Rebella) born November 12, 1863 does not show up on the 1870 census but shows up on the 1880 census. DOB matches.
4. Sarah Broker, daughter of E.C., and her children are living with her father. Her husband Charles probably died.
5. Georgiana, daughter of E.C.,DOB matches and she was born in Mississippi. She and her husband John Nicol are living with E.C.
6. On the1870 census Adolph age 18 born MS – on the 1880 census Aleck age 30 born LA– DOB matches but names different. Same person?
7. Sidney Pradat age 2 died July 7, 1871 per New Orleans death records vol 49, page 681 therefore, not listed on 1880 census.
8. On the 1870 census Eugene Jr, Adolph, Oscar and Joseph are born in Mississippi and on the 1880 census these children are born in LA. Error - census reporting.
9. Cora, daughter of E.C., listed on the 1870 but not on the 1880 census with her father. Cora married W.G. Tebualt and is living next door with her uncle John B. Pradat.
10. On the 1870 census Henry age 4 and on the 1880 census Henry age 13 is living with his father and mother.
1900 Census Louisiana
Pradat Henry M Head Oct. 186831 Louisiana Living 2512 Freret St. N.O.
Rebecca M WifeDec 187425 Louisiana
Henry E. M Son July 189702 “
Christine F Dau Oct189405“
John M Son July189504“ (John Henry Baptiste Pradat)
Eugene M Son Feb1891 09“
1860 Census Miss – Harrison County – Biloxi – July 10, 1860 – Page 377 – dwelling 71
Pradat, J. B. W M30 Inn Keeper$1000 LA
Louisa W F27 LA
Note: Brother to E.C.
1880 Census Louisiana June 1, 1880 Ward 2, New Orleans, La. Dwelling 11
Pradet, J.B. W M 49 head cotton weigher LA France France
Louisia W F38 Wife Keeping house LA San Domingo New York
Hugo, Peter H. W M55 Boarder Clerk LA. France France
Tebault, W.G. W M26 Furniture Dealer LA SC Virginia
Cora W F24 Wife Keeping house LA Miss Miss
Eugene W F3 ½ son LA Miss Miss
William W M2 Dau(?) LA LA LA
Etta W F1 Dau Same
White, Ross B M50 Servant Virginia VA VA
Clara B F15 Servant LA VA VA
Note: 1. J.B. living in dwelling 11and his brother E.C. living next door in dwelling 12. Cora Pradat Tebault and her family are living with her uncle John. It appears the J.B. and Louisa did not have any children.
2. Places of birth for Cora does not agree with 1860 censes in Mississippi. But note that the census-taker has Cora being born in LA and listed under Eugene Tebault age 3 ½ , Cora’s son,as her being born in Mississippi. Note this common error.
In 1850 in Biloxi, Mississippi living with Eugene is John B. and Louisa A. Pradat.
In 1860 in Biloxi, Mississippi Eugene is living in dwelling 71 and John B.
In 1880 in New Orleans, Eugene is living in dwelling 12 and John B. is living next door in dwelling 11. Eugene and John B. must be siblings.
One of the most convincing arguments that Eugene C. Pradat from the census tracking above and Eugene F. Pradat from the World Family Tree (WFT) CD below are the same person is the names, DOB’s, and places of birth listed on the 1860 census in Mississippi are the same as the 1870 census in New Orleans, Louisiana. Also, Eugene Pradat or his children does not appear listed anywhere on the 1870 or 1880 Mississippi censuses.
One can note how the first names are handed down from one generation to another in the Pradat lineage. John Oscar Pradat, son of Eugene, named another son after his brother Sidney who died in 1871 at age two. Henry C. Pradat named one of his sons John B. after his uncle John B. and another son named Eugene after his father and a daughter Jenny Georgiana after his sister. There are several other cases one can site by observing the censuses.
The below information was taken from Broderbund WFT CD Volume 9, Edition 1, Family tree 0014.
With the two different sources the above and below information we can make a tie in. Eugene middle name in different on the censuses but in those days it’s not uncommon to have 3 or 4 names plus the surname.
1.JEAN1 PRADAT was born WFT Est 1734-1763 in Thiers, France, and died Aft 1821.He married MARIE COURBE WFT Est 1760-1802.
Children of Jean Pradat and Marie Courbe are:
i. JEAN M.2 PRADAT, b. WFT Est 1764-1804; d. WFT Est 1777-1882.
2. ii. PIERRE PRADAT, b. Abt 1785, Thiers, France; d. December 29, 1854, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.
Generation No. 2
2.PIERRE2 PRADAT (JEAN1) was born Abt 1785 in Thiers, France, and died December 29, 1854 in New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.He married ELIZABETH IXELIN September 10, 1821 in New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana, daughter of Francis Ixelin and Pierrette Bernard.
Children of Pierre Pradat and Elizabeth Ixelin are:
i. ISABEL (CATHERINA)3 PRADAT, b. Abt 1822; d. WFT Est 1823-1916.
ii. LOUIS EARNEST PRADAT, b. Abt 1823, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; d. August 13, 1896, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; m. September 20, 1841, Mobile, Mobile County, Alabama.
iii. CAMILA AMELIA PRADAT, b. Abt 1824; d. WFT Est 1873-1919; m. July 25, 1868.
3. iv. EUGENE FRANCISCO PRADAT, b. Abt 1825, Louisiana; d. June 02, 1881.
v. PETER LUIS ADOLPHO PRADAT, b. Abt 1826; d. December 30, 1879.
vi. MATILDE CLARA PRADAT, b. Abt 1826; d. WFT Est 1865-1921; m. April 10, 1860.
vii. CATHERINE AMELIE PRADAT, b. Abt 1827; d. WFT Est 1828-1921.
viii. JEAN BAPTISTE PRADAT, b. Abt 1828; d. 1880.
Generation No. 3
3.EUGENE FRANCISCO3 PRADAT (PIERRE2, JEAN1) was born Abt 1825 in Louisiana, and died June 02, 1881.He married LOUISA C. RUBLE WFT Est 1844-1869.
Children of Eugene Pradat and Louisa Ruble are:
i. GEORGIANA J.4 PRADAT, b. Abt 1848, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana; d. WFT Est 1878-1942; m. November 04, 1873, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.
ii. ADOLPH L. PRADAT, b. Abt 1850; d. March 12, 1913.
iii. EUGENE CHRISTOPHER PRADAT, b. Abt 1851; d. May 09, 1929; m. January 07, 1893, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.
iv. SARAH E. PRADAT, b. Abt 1852; d. WFT Est 1875-1946; m. May 17, 1869, Christ Episcopal Church, New Orleans, Louisiana.
v. CORA LOUISA PRADAT, b. June 29, 1856; d. WFT Est 1882-1950; m. January 05, 1876, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.
vi. JOHN OSCAR PETER PRADAT, b. Abt 1858; d. WFT Est 1896-1949; m. February 09, 1891, New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana.
vii. EMMA MARRIE PRADAT, b. July 08, 1860; d. October 02, 1860.
viii. JOSEPH EDWARD PRADAT, b. December 05, 1861; d. WFT Est 1862-1951.