I'm trying to resolve an issue with Susanna Pulliam and Lucy Pulliam.My family tree has them listed as sisters, both daughters of Thomas Pulliam and Nancy Decker, daughter of Moses Decker and Christina.I'll show what I have on each, then explain the problem.
Susanna Pulliam was born April 19, 1821 in Wabash, IL, and is the daughter of Thomas Jefferson Pulliam and Nancy Decker.
• 1830 Federal Census, Pike Co, IL – Thomas Pulliam has a daughter “of five and under ten.”Susanna would have been 9.
• Thomas and Nancy Pulliam are buried in Hull Cemetery, Pike Co, IL, along with David and Susan Hull.
• Susan Hull is listed in the 1880 Federal Census, Pike Co, IL.Her father (Thomas Pulliam) was born in Virginia and her mother (Nancy Decker) was born in Indiana.
She married David Denton Hull June 13, 1837 in Pike Co., IL.
• Marriage certificate, June 13, 1837, Pike Co, IL
• The Hull Family in America by Col. Charles H. Weygant
• 1870 Federal Census, Pike Co, IL
• 1880 Federal Census, Pike Co, IL
(Interesting note: David and Susanna's son, D. Denton Hull, Jr., would marry Mary Wagy, a daughter of Melinda Decker and a descendent of three Moses Deckers.)
Lucy Pulliam was born November 11, 1823 in Wabash, IL, and was the daughter of Thomas Jefferson Pulliam and Nancy Decker.
• In the 1830 Federal Census, Pike Co, IL, Thomas Pulliam has a daughter “of five and under ten,” when Lucy would have been 7 years old.
• In the 1870 Federal Census, Lucy was 47, and living near Nancy Pulliam, then Thomas’ widow at age 78.(Lucy died in 1873, before the 1880 Census.)
She married (1st) Samuel Wallace on January 20, 1944, and (2nd) Samuel Hinch on December 23, 1948.
• Marriage certificate, January 20, 1944 Pike Co, IL
• Marriage certificate, December 23, 1948
• 1850 Federal Census, Pike Co, IL
Those of you reading closely already know what the problem is.In 1830, Thomas Pulliam had ONE daughter between 5 and 10, but both Susanna and Lucy were of that age.Either they are not sisters, or Thomas didn't know how old his own daughters were when the census worker stopped by the farm.I don't have any primary documents on the family to help me resolve this issue.Any help would be greatly appreciated.