Charles Quebedeaux, progenitor of the Louisiana surname
Charles Quebedeaux's date of birth is unknown, as is his date of death. There's really no information currently available (census, etc) which even allows a guess, however we do know that he was deceased prior to 22 Feb 1802, when his widow married James Mullins. His lineage is also unclear, at least in my opinion. His parents are given as Joseph and Marie Lest in his marriage entry, and previous researchers have decided this refers to Joseph Quebedeaux dit L'Espagnol and Marianne Antoine Beau. The discrepancy in his mother's name has been explained as referring to her being from Paris, i.e. the east (Lest). I believe this is a stretch as there's no instance of Marianne Antoine Beau being referred to as simply "Marie", nor is there any instance of the dit name "Lest" being used. It's already been demonstrated that there was a second Joseph Quebedeaux in Illinois in 1738, and Marie was not an uncommon name at the time (all three of L'Espagnol's daughters were named Marie). In my opinion the jury's still out on which Joseph was the father of Charles.
Charles appears in Louisiana as early as 1775, when he signed a Tobacco contract at the Post of St Jean-Baptiste, Natchitoches, with Jean Baptiste Brevelle. I have a copy of this contract (provided by Missy Burke), however no translation. If there are any high-speed translators out there I'd be happy to provide a copy, however readability is not great.
Marriage and children
Charles married Marie Catherine Recuron 18 Oct 1776 in Pointe Coupee Parish. At least nine children were born from this union:
1) Laurine b. 1 Jul 1777 ((DOBR v.2, p.611 (PCP-4, 135)), m. 2 Feb 1793 Francois Ardoin ((DOBR v.2, p.28 ((PCP 19-46)), d. 6 Jan 1846 (Opel.Ch.: v.2, p.46).
2) Madeleine b. 5 Nov 1778 ((DOBR v.2, p.611 (PCP-4, 147)), m. 20 Jun 1809 Miguel Hernandez (Opel. Ch.: v.1-A, p.187).
3) Nicolas b. abt 1780 (1850 St Landry Parish Census), m. abt 1803 Marguerite Landry, d. after the 1850 census.
4) Toussaint b. abt Dec 1782 ((DOBR v.2, p.611 (PCP-2, part 2, 226a) & (PCP-4, 170)) m. 25 May 1813 Marie Barbe Frozard (Opel. Ch.: v.1-A, p.242)
**** Toussaint also fathered a daughter abt 1805 with Perrine Moreau. I haven't found any marriage entry for this couple, and the child's identification as the "natural daughter of" at her marriage leaves open possibilities such as illegitimacy, etc.
**** My 4th great grandfather (generation 7)
5) Francois b. 12 Dec 1784 ((DOBR, v. 2, p. 610 (PCP-4, 185)), m. abt. 1810 Celestine Lagrange, d. 1 Jul 1826 (GC Ch.: v.1, p.14, #110).
6) Theotiste b. 16 Dec 1789 (DOBR, v. 2, p. 611), m. 28 Jan 1806 Jean Pierre Stelly ((Opel. Ch.: v.1-A, p.153), d. 19 Nov 1871 (Abbeville Ch.: v. 1, p.19)
7) Julie Charlotte b. 26 Aug 1787 ((DOBR v. 2, p. 611 (PCP-7, 11)), m. 18 Jun 1805 Jacques Jean George Stelly (Opel. Ch.: v.1-A, p.141), d. 11 Dec 1822 (GC Ch.: v.1, p.8, #73)
8) Adelaide b. 14 Feb 1792 ((DOBR v. 2, p. 610(PCP-7, 49)), m. 26 Jun 1811 Joseph Angelo (Angelle) (Opel. Ch.: v.1, p.213), d. 19 Sep 1856 (SM Ch.: v. 5, p. 248)
**** My 4th great grandmother (generation 7)
9) Zenon b. abt Mar 1794 (SM Ch.: v.4, #759), m. 1) 17 Jun 1817 Emerante Marks (Opel. Ch.: v.1-B, p.303), m. 2) 6 Jul 1824 Eloyse Delphine Lambre (GC Ch.: v.1, p.34, #79)
P.S. a big thank you to my cousins who provided the Diocese of Baton Rouge references.
As always, I welcome comments, additional information, opposing views, etc.