Francois Joseph Rainville b. a1807 (may have been a twin with Joseph Renville) baptised at Pembina, Dakota Territory in 1815. Assumption RC Church
His birth is registered by Lac Superior Catholic Mission in 1807
He was a famed buffalo hunter and voyageur in 1850 (1850 census of Pembina, p28, dwelling 99, family 99)
He married a1836 to Margueritte Bellegarde dit Lamarre and lived at Pembina, Dakota Territory. He worked 1858 until he died in 1866, as a courier (mailman) for Kittson Express of Pembina.
He was killed by Sioux Indians while delivering mail somewhere between Pembina and Lac Qui Parle in 1866.
They had 10 children;
1. Francois Rainville b.1837 in Ste. Agathe, Red River Settlement d. ??
He lived in Ste. Agathe, RRS
He married Marie Angelique Gosselin b. Nov 4, 1860
2. Jean Baptiste Rainville b. a1839 at Pembina, Dakota, Territory
He married a1868 to Jane Cook Bruce b. 1838-a1920 in Rupertsland, Canada
3. Margueritte Rainville b. 1841 at Pembina, Dakota Territory
She married Narcisse Grant, son of Jean Baptiste Grant and Julie Ducharme (Deschamps)
4. Marie Rainville b. Jan 13,1842 at Pembina, Dakota Territory
interred at St. Vincent de Paul,
She married 1863 to Jean Baptiste Bottineau b. a1843 in St. Paul, Red River Settlement, Canada, son of Pierre Bottineau and Genevieve Larance. He died Dec 1,1911
is interred at St. Vincent de Paul
He was an Attorney in Washington DC, representing the Turtle Mountain band of Chippewa
of North Dakota.
They are listed in the 1889 Red Lake, MN. census with children Mary and Lillian.
5. Genevieve Rainville b. 1843 at St. Norbert, Red River Settlement, Rupertsland
She took Metis Scrip on Dec. 12, 1875 at St. Norbert, Provencher, Manitoba, Canada
In the 1860 census, she identified her father as Francois Rainville (HB) and mother,
Margueritte Demers (HB) (FR) (aka Margueritte Bellegarde dit Demers)
She died April 18, 1892, of consumption; buried at St. Boniface, Manitoba
She married twice;
1)She married on Jan 28,1861, at Assumption Church, Pembina, Dakota Territory to Charles St. Arnaud, b. Jan 25, 1840 at St. Boniface, Red River Settlement, son of Bonaventure St. Arnaud dit Tourand and Genevieve Contrit Comptois Contre
6. Adelaide Rainville b. 1848 - ?? . She maried twice;
(1) Jean Baptiste Gosselin, son of Antoine Gosselin and Marie Roy
(2) She married a1880 to Francois Petit, son of Thomas Petit and Josephte Oulette
7. Baptiste Francois Rainville b. Oct 6, 1848 at Pembina, Dakota Territorybte. Nov 11, 1848 at Assumption Church, Pembina
8. Hilaire Rainville b. Jan 26, 1851 at Pembina, Dakota Territory bte. Jan 27, 1851 at Assumption Church, Pembina
He married on Nov 14, 1876, at Assumption Church, Pembina to Saraphine Houle, daughter of Charles Houle and Catherine Falardeau
9. Joachim Rainville b. Aug 7, 1853 at Pembina, Dakota Territory bte. Sept. 2, 1853 at Assumption Church, Pembinad. July 8, 1935 buried at Walhalla, North Dakota
He married on Jan 7,1881 in St. Joseph, North Dakota to; Mathilda Labreche b.1861, daughter of Zephrine Labreche and Zoe Giroux, witnessed by Jean Baptiste Rainville and David Beauchamp by Rev. L. Bonin
They had 14 children;
10. Jonas John Rainville b. June 16, 1856 at Pembina, Dakota TerritoryHe married Dec 27, 1880 at Flat Willow Creek Reservation in Montana, USA near Carrol, MT.
to Marie Louise Monet dit Bellehumeur b. Dec 9, 1865, daughter of Francois Bellehumeur dit Monet and Marie Louise Morrisseau by Rev. Fr. Joseph Damiani, S.J., of St. Peters Mission in the Diocese of Grat Falls-Billings, of Great Falls, Montana,
witnessed by Patrick Amelin and Patrick Monet
In 1905 they received Metis Scrip at Pigeon Lake, Manitoba, near St. Francois Xavier, MB.
They last lived at Crane River, Manitoba, Canada.
He died in 1926 at Crane River, MB., buried at the Reserve Cemetery, Crane River FN
they had 7 children;
11. Rose De Lima (Rosanna) Rainville b. a1858. She married Jan 16,1877 in Assumption Church at Pembina, Dakota Territory, to George Joseph Lambert b. Mar14,1851, son of George Joseph Lambert and Isabel Houle, in Assumption Church, Pembina.
i) Adelaide Lambert b. Jan 11, 1877 in Wood Mountain, NWT (Saskatchewan)d. Apr 2, 1901 (age 24)
ii) Marie Louise Lambert b. Mar 4, 1880 in Wood Mountain, NWT (Saskatchewan) d. Oct 15, 1891 in Olga, ND (age 11)
iii) Joseph Lambert b. Nov 9,1881 - May 25, 1900
iv) Israel Lambert b. Jan 28, 1893 - May 1, 1893 in Leroy, ND (age 5 months)