PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM
pg 564, 565, 566
JOHN P. GARLOUGH, Justice of the Peace. Whatever of advancement and improvement is claimed for the latter half of the nineteenth century, we must confess that it is difficult to find members so perfectly courteous, easy, and dignified, as those of the old school gentlemen. Here and there we see the descendant of an old, honored family, who, by inheritance and training has become possessed of them, and we look with delight upon their exhibition. The gentleman above named is one of these rare men, and his manners are but the visible emblems of the mind and character which animate his actions. He is widely and favorably known in Clark County as an old settler, a Christian gentleman, and a useful and public-spirited citizen. He occupies an estate on section 18, Green Township, the dwelling in which he lives being that which sheltered his parents during all their married lives. It was built by his father in 1821, but has been added to by its present owner, giving a more modern look to the substantial structure of “ye olden time.”
Going back three generations in the paternal line, we find the name of John Henry GARLOUGH, a native of Germany, who settled in Maryland prior to the Revolutionary War. He took part in that contest as a member of the Colonial army, manifesting his sympathy in the cause for which the American fought, by deeds of valor in the ranks. With his two sons, Adam and John, he came to Ohio in 1807, settling with John on the farm now owned by B. F. GARLOUGH, the spring after their arrival in the State. Adam decided upon a location in Greene County. The old gentleman died in September, 1810, his remains being the first deposited in the GARLOUGH Cemetery. John GARLOUGH was the father of two children by his first marriage—a son, John, and a daughter, Catherine. The latter became the wife of Jacob NAVE.
The second John GARLOUGH was born in Frederick County, Md., June 23, 1789, and died in Clark County, Ohio, in 1858. Upon reaching maturity, he had married Anna PATTON, a daughter of Thomas and Jane PATTON, who were very early settlers in this county, whence they had come from Ireland. Mrs. GARLOUGH was born in 1802 and died July 29, 1825, after but four years of happy wedded left [sic]. She left two children—Jane D., now the widow of Sylvanus TUTTLE and mother of four childen, whose home is in Springfield Township; and the subject of this sketch.
The gentleman of whom we write was born March 1, 1825, on the farm which he now occupies. Being left motherless when but four months old, he was tenderly cared for by an aunt, Mrs. Margaret LOTT, with whom he remained until his marriage. He received a good common-school education, pursuing his studies in a log school-house, but greatly improving on the instruction which he there obtained by observation and personal efforts. He has been an extensive reader and has impressed that which he read upon his mind by copying copious extracts. In this way he has also acquired a flow of language that is easy, grammatical, and correct in the usage of words.
In early manhood Mr. GARLOUGH chose as a companion Miss Tabitha Jane, daughter of John TUTTLE, who came hence from Virginia before the year 1812. The marriage rites were celebrated in December, 1845, and the union was blessed by the birth of seven children. Mrs. GARLOUGH departed this life in February, 1862, leaving behind her the record of a kindly and useful life. Her oldest son, George E., married Ann E. MCCARTNEY, has three children, and lives in the same township as his father; J. Harvey married Emma BOYER, has four children and lives in Fayette County; Oliver, whose home in near Clifton, Greene County, married Mary Belle CORRY, and has two children; Anna is deceased; John H. is unmarried, and is still at home; Emma Jane is the wife of G. W. RIFE, and lives in Greene County; Rhoda May married R. J. CORRY, has three children, and lives in Green County.
In October, 1863, Mr. GARLOUGH contracted a second matrimonial alliance, choosing as his companion Miss Ann ELDER, who was born November 10, 1824, on the old ELDER homestead on section 10. Her parents were Robert and Nancy T. (ELDER) ELDER, the one a native of Dauphin and the other of Westmoreland County, Pa. Mr. ELDER was born March 20, 1802, and died March 13, 1886; his wife was born December 25, 1804, and died March 12, 1875. Both had been brought to Ohio when quite young, the residence of Mr. ELDER dating from 1813 and that of his wife from 1811. They were married in Butler County, April 19, 1823. Eleven children were born to them, nine of whom are yet living.
The present Mrs. GARLOUGH is a lady of more than ordinary intelligence, having, like her husband, added much to the good common-school education which she originally received. She became a teacher, and for fifteen years continued her pedagogical labors, successful as an instructor, esteemed for her pleasant ways and high character, and making lifelong friends among patrons and pupils. She is a consistent member of the Presbyterian Church, to which Mr. GARLOUGH also belongs, and in which he has been a Trustee. Both were baptized in the same church and at the same time, when they were infants.
The farm of Squire GARLOUGH comprises one hundred and forty-four acres of land, nearly all under the plow, and affording a competency to its owner, who has now retired from the active management. He is still Justice of the Peace, a position in which he has served for twenty years. He has also quite recently been re-elected to the office of School Director, in which he has already acted fifteen years, and he also belongs to the Board of Education of Green Township. As a Township Trustee he has served fifteen years, the long terms in which he retained in public service indicating the opinion which is held of him by his neighbors. Always interested in political affairs, he gave his first allegiance to the Whig party, and later to the Republican, and has been sent as a delegate to county, State and congressional conventions. Although he has always strongly advocated temperance, he is in no degree a third party man. He was formerly one of the noted “squirrel hunters” of this State, and took part in repelling the Morgan raid during the Civil War.
Portrait and Biographical Album of Greene and Clark Counties, Ohio
Chapman Bros., Chicago, Copyright 1890.