The reason for calling this the South Indian Missionary District is as follows: The Indian Missions of the Methodist Church had a number of Indian tribes within its bounds, most of them being located in what is now the State of Kansas. As early as 1830 the Indian Missions of the Methodist Church made the following appointments: Kansas or Kaw mission, William Johnson; Shawnee mission, Thomas Johnson. (These men were brothers.) 1831, Presiding Elder and Superintendent Kansas missions, Jos. Edmundson; Shawnee and Kansas missions, Thomas Johnson and William Johnson. 1832, Indian Mission District Superintendent, Thomas Johnson; Shawnee mission and school, Thomas Johnson and Edward T. Peery; Delaware mission and school, William Johnson and Thomas B. Markham; Iowa and Sac mission and school, to be supplied; Peoria mission and school, James H. Slavens. In 1833 it is Indian Mission District; 1834 and 1835 it is North Indian Mission District. These Districts were in the Missouri conference, as were the two districts in Arkansas, and our work among the Cherokee and Creek Indians. It must be remembered that the work among the Choctaw and Chickasaw tribes, the Sulphur Fork country, and North Louisiana, at that time belonged to the Mississippi conference. The Conference at Arrow Rock Camp Ground 1835, made two districts in Arkansas, and one in Indian Territory, which included the Five Civilized tribes. At the first session of the Arkansas conference, held at Batesville, Nov. 1836, Bishop Morris presided.