Rudderow- John Rudderow arrived at Philadelphia from England about 1680. He was a surveyor and also had considerable knowledge of law. After remaining in the neighborhood of Philadelphia for a few years he decided to return to England but the unexpected arrival at Philadelphia of Robert Stiles and his sister, Lucy, immediately altered his plans. He and Lucy Stiles were afterwards married and settled on a large plantation between the two branches of the Pensauken Creek not far from Fork Landing.(Fork Landing meaning where the two branches of the creek meet) The original survey is dated Tenth month, 1684 and calls for 650 acres which were surveyed in the names of John Clark and John Rudderow. John and Lucy Stiles Rudderow's children were Mary, Rebecca, Hannah, Ann, Sarah, John and three whose names are not recorded and who undoubtedly died in infancy.
John, Jr. married Elizabeth Hollinshead and was the ansestor of those bearing the name Rudderow now living in the neighborhood of Moorestown. The Rudderows were active in the affairs of Chester Township which formerly included the present township of Moorestown.
Note- John Rudderow was active as a Clerk for the early years of Chester Township. He was instrumental in the building of Saint Mary's Episopal Church at Colestown and later the Rudderows were active at the Moorestown Episcopal Church. =========================== HISTORY OF BURLINGTON AND MERCER COUNTIES, NEW JERSEY by Major E.M. Woodward & John F. Hageman PHILADELPHIA: EVERTS & PECK. 1883 PRESS OF J.B. LIPPINCOTT & CO., PHILADELPHIA.
Assessors. - The following is as complete a list of assessors of this township [Chester Twp., Burlington Co.] from 1693 to 1881 as can be gleaned from the records. The first of this class of officers appears in 1693, JOHN RUDDEROW and James Sherwin. No others appear until 1706, John Cowperthwaite, Isaiah Hewlings. In 1708 the township had three, John Cowperthwaite, Elias Toy, and Jacob Heulings. The next appearing was in 1711, John Wills, and in 1713, John Cowperthwaite and Thomas Adams.By the manner in which the pioneer records were kept it is supposed that assessors were only elected or appointed as their services seemed to be needed. From 1717 to 1881 we find the following nearly complete list:... EMANUEL BEAGARY; 1824 - 30...
Schools. - The first school-house we have any account of was built of logs, and stood near the forks Penisaukin Creek, on land located by John Clark and JOHN RUDDEROW, and was not far from the house now owned by John Brock.EMANUEL BEAGARY lived in that house and taught school; he moved from there to the old stone house in Pennsville, now owned by William Parry. He was the assessor of Chester township for several years. Note: EMANUEL BEAGARY husband of CATHERINE HOUSEMAN SLIM sister of PETER SLIM, JR. ================================