John Ruscoe was born about 1819 somewhere in the state of New York and died about 1869 in Anson County North Carolina. By trade he was a blacksmith and carrage maker. He was married at least three times. His first known wife was named Rosanna, sur-name unknown. She was born about 1824 and died between 1853 and 1854 in North Carolina. John Ruscoe's second wife was Sylvester Sulivant, daughter of Joseph Sulivant. She was born October 30, 1834 and died October 22, 1854. John and Sylvester were married March 22, 1854. John Ruscoe third and last wife was Mary Jane Smith, daughter of John D. Smith. She was born in January of 1832 and died February 14, 1929 in Anson County N.C. John and Mary were married April 1, 1856.
The children of John Ruscoe and his first wife, Rosanna were:
1. Alexander B. T. Ruscoe, born November 14, 1846 in N.C. and died December 29, 1925 in Carrol County Mississippi. He was a a soilder in the 43rd N.C. Inf. CSA.
2. Mary C. Ruscoe born about 1849. NFI
3. Jane Ruscoe born about May 1851, died after 1820 in Florence County S.C.
4. William D. Ruscoe born December 17, 1852 in Wadesboro, Anson County N.C.and died May 14, 1898 in Chesterfield County S.C. He married Catherine Murry in Chesterfield County S.C. and changed the spelling of his sur-name to Roscoe.
The children of John Ruscoe and his third wife, Mary Jane Smith were:
1. John Ruscoe born about 1857 in N.C., died October 3, 1883 in Galveston, Texas.
2. Henry Durant Ruscoe born October 12, 1856 or 59 in N.C. Died December 2, 1906. He married Rosa Pickett Ratliff Sept. 24, 1899.
3. Cora Ruscoe born about 1862, died before 1906. She married Maston Coward Feb. 22, 1881.
4. Elizabeth Ruscoe born about 1865. She married John J. Barbie Feb. 27, 1884.
The 1850 census of Anson County North Carolina has the household of John Rusco listed as follows:
John Rusco age 31 white male born in New York Occupation Blacksmith. Rosanna Rusco age 26 white female b. in N.C. Alexander B.T. Rusco age 3 white male b.N.C. Mary C. Rusco age 1 white female born N.C. Catherine May age 32 white female b. N.C. Lucy May age 20 white female born N.C. Daniel W. Livingston age 21 W.M. Apprintist born in N.C. David Williamson age 19 W.M. Coach Maker born in N.C.
The 1860 census of Anson County N.C. list the household of John Ruscoe as follows:
John Ruscoe age 43 W.M. Carrage Maker, born in New York. Mary Ruscoe age 24 W.F. born in N.C. Alexander Ruscoe age 13 born in N.C. Mary Ruscoe age 11 W.F. born in N.C. Jane Ruscoe age 9 W.F. born in N.C. William D. Ruscoe age 7 W.M. born in N.C. John Ruscoe age 3 W.M. born in N.C. Henry Ruscoe age 2 W.M. born in N.C.
John Ruscoe apparently came into Anson County N.C. between 1840 and 1846. He began purchasing property in the Wadesboro area on February 23, 1847.
I would like to identify the parents and ancestrail line of this John Ruscoe and prove or disprove if he was related in anyway to the Roscoe/Rascoe families that were living in the Chesterfield/Marlboro counties area of South Carolina.