This is a translation of German language article about the Schendel family in Posen.
300 Year Family Possession - This year (1938), the Schendel family in Beyersdorf, now Piotrowo, near Polajewo, looks back over 300 years of control of the family property.Through 9 generations, the porperty has been in the uninterrupted possession of the family, whose sons always have faithfully kept their fathers' trust with the soil.God give His continued blessing to it.
HOME AND WORLD - January 15, Issue ? 3/1938, Posener Daily Paper, Weekly Supplement
German independent village governing family residing in the Posen area over 300 years.
In the first German immigration into the Posen area, the region north and south of the lower Netze River came into contact with only very minor numbers (of Germans).In comparison with that, when the second German immigration in the 17th and 18th centuries carried large groups of Germans hither, this district was still only weakly settled and still awaited the opening up of the vast estates.The Polish lords of the manors of that area, the Gorkas in Filehne, the Czarnkowskis in Czarnikau, the Grundzinskis in Kolmar, very soon recognized the advantage the settlement of German farmers held for the country, as well as for their own persons, too.Thus, they became zealous promoters of the German colonization.A great number of dairy farmers and independent villagers had recently set up business there and had settled with the Germans:for example, in 1600, Kahlstadt, distraict of Kolmar; 1623, Fitzerie, district of Kolmar; 1630, Radom, district of Kolmar; probably 1631, Althutte, district of Czarnikau; 1635, Gramsdorf, district of Obornik - only for the sake of naming some south of the Netze River.
In the charter establishing Radom (the village estate shared by Nikolaus Kunkel and Martin Abraham) in the year 1630, is the phrase about the "recently established villages of Schrotthaus and Beyersdorf."Beyersdorf (Piotrowo), district of Obornik, had also been founded just prior to 1630.The founder and first village governor is not known; he must have died after a short time, or else he had abandoned the village estate voluntarily.On June 16, 1637, Christian Schendel bought the village estate for 800 Polish Guilders from the lord of the manor, Peter Czarnkowski.He (Schendel) maintained a lesser jurisdiction in the village, that then numbered 8 farmsteads; as tax, he had to pay 24 guilders yearly.Although he was evangelical (Protestant/Lutheran), he was prepared to do his duty permitting baptisms and marriages to take place in the Catholic church is Polajewo, so that the CAtholic clergyman suffered no loss in his rightful fees by the settlement of believers of different faiths.
As the village governors of 1695 had already been deprived of the property ownership of several ponds and a mill by a new lord of the manor, so would they be forced to pay a new tax in 1763 by the lord of the manor, Anton Miaczynski of Polajewo, which increased the burden enormously and, with other burdens, set a yearly tax rate of 269 Polish guilders and twelve and a half pennies.
From Beyersdorf, the Schendel family spread out over the entire surrounding region.Already, in 1712, one of the village estates in Radom, belonging to the Kunkels, was in the possession of the Schendel family, where it remained in their hands for over 200 years, until it was sold after the world war (WWII).In the seventy years of the previous century, the Orlowo property, district of Obornik, came into possession of the Schendel family.Other branches (of the family), acquired the mill property Gulcz, district of Czarnikau, (and) more distant properties in Kujawien and East Prussia.Today, also, the family is primarily a farming family.Especially in the districts of Obornik and Kolmar, many Schendels are living as farmers.
However, family members also switched to other trades.Since about 1740, we find a number of the relatives as weavers in Kolmar.Five and more families are resident there at the same time.In Czarnikau, the Schendels have been weavers since about 1700, already.
But the family also spread out over the borders of the narrow homeland.When the textile industry declined in our area at the beginning of the past century, some relatives emigrated toward Middle Poland (Ozorkow, Lodz), (and) others went even further to Bialystok as weavers.The emigrants originated from Kolmar and Czarnikau.Others sought their futures in other trades in America, or emigrated back to the old original homeland of the German Empire.Most of the relatives have already succeeded in finding their places in the family history which began with Christian Schendel in Beyersdorf in 1637.From whence the first Schendel in our territory once immigrated has not yet been determined;whether he came from Silesia, particularly, or rather from Brandenburg and Pomerania, is in question.
For over 300 years now, the village estate in Beyersdorf has been in the possession of the direct line of the Schendel family.Hard and good times have come over the village estate, but fortunately, the bad times would always be overcome, so that, in the course of time, the property could be expanded by 620 acres.The last years also have been expecially difficult for agriculture, so then the hope is justified that this time will be overcome too, and soon better times will come.A family that is rooted to its land through a three hundred year history will be able to survive all hardship, and pass it (the land) on to future generations.