A Narrative History of The People of Iowa with SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY, BUSINESS, ETC. by EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M. Curator of the Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa Volume IV THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc. Chicago and New York 1931
WILLIAM LEY has been a prominent figure in the coal business at Davenport for thirty years. He is president of the Ley Fuel Company, a wholesale coal and coke organization, with headquarters in the Hickey Building.
Mr. Ley was born at Avilla in Noble County, Indiana, August 16, 1879. When he was a small child his parents, Gustave and Caroline (Schneider) Ley, moved out to Kansas, and he grew up in that state, attending grade and high schools there. Mr. Ley became a resident of Davenport in 1899, and has concentrated his business energies on the coal business. At first he was with the Southwestern Coal Company, and in 1913 he organized the Ley Fuel Company, of which he is president.
Mr. Ley has been a popular member of business and civic organizations at Davenport. He is now president of the Davenport Kiwanis Club, with whose work he has been identified for several years. He is a member of the Rock Island Arsenal Golf Club, the Davenport Outing Club and Knights of Columbus.
On October 7, 1903, he and Miss Mary Hickey, oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D. J. Hickey, of Davenport, were married in the Scared Heart Cathedral, Bishop James J. Davis officiating. Mrs. Hickey is a member of the prominent family of Davenport. They have one son, Murray Hickey Ley, a member of the class of 1930 in Notre Dame University in Indiana.